Page 53 of 179 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

I installed v10 beta2. But never mind...I don't watch videos often. Now my main problme is ... after install everything, my Firefox seems a bit heavy, takes much longer time to start up. I need to keep firefox as quick as posible. So, now I wish to switch back to original install and settings, is it possible? what are the codes I need to install back after remove the newly installed packeges?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by imjscn View Post
    I installed v10 beta2. But never mind...I don't watch videos often. Now my main problme is ... after install everything, my Firefox seems a bit heavy, takes much longer time to start up. I need to keep firefox as quick as posible. So, now I wish to switch back to original install and settings, is it possible? what are the codes I need to install back after remove the newly installed packeges?

Not sure what you mean, but installing the beta 1 may improve Flash performance, as some users have reported that the beta 2 doesn't perform as well. All you have to do is put the beta 1 plugin on your desktop, then copy that long command from the "sudo cp" part onwards and restart Firefox, as you have already purged the flashplugin-nonfree package and created the necessary directory.

Beans

I decide to remove all the plugins, they course firefox slow. how to remove the v10 beta2 safely?

Beans

Thank you very much, I worked with other post's advice for several hours and could not get youtube to work in my x86 64 Ubuntu firefox3.
    Now it works after not much trouble at all.

Again, Thank you very much!

Pete

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by imjscn View Post
    I decide to remove all the plugins, they course firefox slow. how to remove the v10 beta2 safely?

Can you tell me which plugins you suspect of slowing Firefox down? Nothing you installed can slow Firefox down unless they are in use. You will need Flash on many, many sites, that's why I recommended v10 beta 1. However, if you really don't want to try and figure out what's happened to Firefox, execute the following command in the terminal to remove the manual installation:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree && sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree

That will replace the manual installation with the Ubuntu package, then completely purge it from your system. Restart Firefox.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JTPete View Post
    Thank you very much, I worked with other post's advice for several hours and could not get youtube to work in my x86 64 Ubuntu firefox3.
    Now it works after not much trouble at all.

Again, Thank you very much!

Pete

Thanks Pete, you're welcome.

I previously redirected 64-bit users to another thread if they had Flash troubles, but when I started using Ubuntu 64-bit myself, I decided it was time to come up with my own method and tried to emulate the way a Deb package installs Flash. Seems to be working really well and was the best method, especially as you can install the Deb directly over it at a later date.

P.S. Wait...you were talking about the manual method, yeah?
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; July 8th, 2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Presumptious

Beans

Thanks! when FF already runing, it's not slow, but when first start up, it takes relatively longer time, so I guess it's because lots of plug in are working. If this is not true, I won't remove them.
    Currently, I have beta2 installed. Can I just install Beta1, or I should first remove Beta2 before install beta1?

Thanks for being patient with me.

Edit:
    I figured out why FF slow...after remove things, need to go Synaptic manager to completely delete things in residual. Also need to delete isolated libraies by install and run deborphan, then sudo deborphan | xargs sudo apt-get -y remove –purge

Although deborphan didn't work out for me(checked out an isolate piece but "can't find -purge"), but by deleting residual, I gained back my fast FF.

This is the guide for the problem: http://www.linuxine.com/2008/06/spee...oot-speed.html
    Last edited by imjscn; July 8th, 2008 at 05:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm interesting. Yeah, you can install beta 1 over beta 2, as it will just replace it. You should certainly try beta 1, works well for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thumbs up Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

Thank you. This was comprehensive and relieved a lot of stress. I dub thee master of all things ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shcba View Post
    Thank you. This was comprehensive and relieved a lot of stress. I dub thee master of all things ubuntu.

Glad to help, thanks.

Page 53 of 179 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast