Thread: [SOLVED] Why arent we (or alot of other teams for that matter) not on the same page

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

[SOLVED] Why arent we (or alot of other teams for that matter) not on the same page

Ive noticed that we, nor most of the Other US teams aren't on here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList

Is there some sort of requirement that a team has to meet before they get on here? When I first saw the local team thing, I was excited... until I saw there wasn't a Missouri team on the list. I just assumed there was no Missouri team, as that part of the Wiki would surely be updated for new teams, otherwise I would have joined months ago, because I never check the Loco Forums section.

So my question is, why aren't we, along with a lot of other groups, on the loco teams list?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Why arent we (or alot of other teams for that matter) not on the same page

We're relatively new. Weither we go to a "recognized" unit or not is dependent on TPTB... We'll see how that goes in the coming weeks/months.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You propose a very interesting question that may need the attention of the USTeams. We are on the LoCoTeamList page, but further down on the list. We are listed in the "New Community Teams" section rather than the "Approved LoCo Teams".

What I think should be done, is break down the LoCo list into regions to make it easier to find the team you are looking for. Each team should be a member of a greater hierarchy. However, it needs to be set up so that LoCos which reside on a bordering region can be a "child" of multiple regions.

The USTeams has started this, and so far done a good job as a National point of interest (Check the USTeams Wiki for an example). The problem I see, there are people who don't want to join the LoCo as they feel they may have to work to be a part of the group. I've spoken with a large SIG LUG comprized of 20+ users who enjoy using Ubuntu... however, not one of them was interested in joining for fear of having to do extra work. I kind of understand that state of mind with college students though. Being a part of an ACM is no work whatsoever I'm sure.

Nevertheless, we are there... and we are moving to become a recognized LoCo as best we can. Have a look at our roadmap for approval when you have the chance. As you can see by that page, we don't have any major projects outlined just yet. I have my personal endeavors listed on my wiki page but that is outside of the LoCo personally speaking.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Spr0k3t View Post
    You propose a very interesting question that may need the attention of the USTeams. We are on the LoCoTeamList page, but further down on the list. We are listed in the "New Community Teams" section rather than the "Approved LoCo Teams".
    Umm wow... I cant believe I missed that....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It's okay... I personally think they need to rework the main page myself... just don't know how to rework it and still make it much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Spr0k3t View Post
    Y
    The USTeams has started this, and so far done a good job as a National point of interest (Check the USTeams Wiki for an example). The problem I see, there are people who don't want to join the LoCo as they feel they may have to work to be a part of the group. I've spoken with a large SIG LUG comprized of 20+ users who enjoy using Ubuntu... however, not one of them was interested in joining for fear of having to do extra work. I kind of understand that state of mind with college students though. Being a part of an ACM is no work whatsoever I'm sure.
    In any organization, only a few folks are going to volunteer for extra duties. Most of us were busy people before we got involved with Ubuntu, and many of our members are just going to want to get support or get involved when they need it.

That's fine -- I think we have enough active people to keep things moving forward, and as we grow, we'll get more. We just have to keep asking, stay patient, and continue to look forward.