Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by guyver View Post
    I'm redoing the Debian installation just for good luck. How do I get UNetbootin to install Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu?
    Part of the install process, it'll ask you. Was already described nicely in this thread a few pages ago, go check if you need more details. (I think I really need to reorganize this thread...)

Beans

Re: Problems on Windows 98

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Strange, haven't tested it too much on Win9x, that might be the issue... anyhow mind posting your C:\config.sys? Does it have anything along the lines of "Ubuntu" or "grub" written in it? It should look like described in http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/wiki...r_DOS_from_DOS
    I'm not on my computer to check for this right now, but I'll do ASAP and report back. If UNetbootin isn't able to fix config.sys, I'll just hack it myself according to the nice explanation in that Grub4DOS tutorial you linked to. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    (I think I really need to reorganize this thread...)
    Don't you think UNetbootin deserves its own forum? Much easier to organize different discussions when they can evolve in their own threads. The information overload and activity in this thread surely demands that UNetbootin gets its own forum, no?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

(I think I really need to reorganize this thread...)
    Tux that is a good idea. I love this thread.

I failed using the Live CD for Ubuntu 6.06 to install that distro. it could not use the free space cause it has an unmoveable file in it.

Are the resizing tool in UNetbootin able to move the windows unmoveable file? I don't know its name and have no clue on how to find out its name either.

Could it be the swapfile. It looks very big in the defrag program.

I've decided to dedicate an old computer compac HP D230MT as my learning tool. It has unfortunate only 250megabyte memory so maybe a bit less than what is best.
    The hardisk now is owned by Win XP pro but I have 27Giga free space but many unmoveable files in it so I need some kind of prog that could move unmoveable files.

Would you advice against using UNetbootin with such low on memory?

I maybe could use memory from another compac computer if the physical size is same. Both are HP/ Compac som hopefully their holders for memory are same.

I need to make olace for the three partions for linux.

I have a Live CD for Ubuntu 6.06 so maybe that one have the resizing tool I need. It failed cause the unmoveable was an obstacle?

Or is that one built in into UNetbootin?
    Last edited by nooby; October 23rd, 2007 at 11:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I failed using the Live CD for Ubuntu 6.06 to install that distro. it could not use the free space cause it has an unmoveable file in it.

Are the resizing tool in UNetbootin able to move the windows unmoveable file? I don't know its name and have no clue on how to find out its name either.

Could it be the swapfile. It looks very big in the defrag program.
    Probably, that's pagefile.sys (the swapfile). See here on how to get rid of it (you can re-enable it later): http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...d-pagefilesys/

Also remember to defrag your hard drive if you haven't done so already, that helps on the resizing bit.

I've decided to dedicate an old computer compac HP D230MT as my learning tool. It has unfortunate only 250megabyte memory so maybe a bit less than what is best.
    The hardisk now is owned by Win XP pro but I have 27Giga free space but many unmoveable files in it so I need some kind of prog that could move unmoveable files.

Would you advice against using UNetbootin with such low on memory?
    Yep UNetbootin will work fine on low-ram computers (it uses the text-based interface, so it doesn't need as much RAM as much as the liveCD does)

Or is that one built in into UNetbootin?
    You'll be able to partition it during the installation phase. I also have the UNetbootin installer for Parted Magic on the download page (under the name Partition Manager), that'll also let you manage your partitons using GParted. Granted, if 6.06 didn't work, that probably won't work either, but doesn't hurt to try (maybe the newer version fixed some of the issues).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for tip on these but it doesn't seem to be them. I did as they say there in the link but still have an enormous big one up in the space I want to place 7.04 or 7.1 in.

Could it be the swap file. Is that one safe to take away? I tried to find it but failed.

could it be a restore point that have saved a kind of mirror of windows?

How do I find what the name of the file is?
    Last edited by nooby; October 24th, 2007 at 06:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nooby View Post
    Thanks for tip on these but it doesn't seem to be them. I did as they say there in the link but still have an enormous big one up in the space I want to place 7.04 or 7.1 in.

Could it be the swap file. Is that one safe to take away? I tried to find it but failed.

could it be a restore point that have saved a kind of mirror of windows?

How do I find what the name of the file is?
    Doesn't it show it in the disk defragmenter? It can't be swap, then; that's pagefile.sys (which was described in the guide I linked to)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes the trick was to say it should be 2 meg and then to no pagefile at all which is 2 meg and then to reboot so now I will try unetbootin. I am writing on that computer now. 28 gig free I will try to tell unetbootin to use 20 gig for linux. But I ahve no knowledge on how to do that. But I try.

should I use 7.04 first or go directly to 7.1 ?
    Last edited by nooby; October 24th, 2007 at 06:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Yes the trick was to say it should be 2 meg and then to no file which is 2 meg and then to reboot so now I will try unetbootin. I am writing on that computer now. 28 gig free I will try to tell unetbootin to use 20 gig for linux. But I ahve no knowledge on how to do that. But I try.

should I use 7.04 first or go directly to 7.1 ?
    Go straight to 7.10. As for the partitioning bit, just let it do automatic partitioning; it'll have an option to use the free space (or you can also select the manual partitioning approach). More info at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I try 7.1 then but I forgot to ask an important question.

I need to give linux important numbers that have to do with DNS and such. For a noob a newbie that is totally beyond me.

I have no clue on such figures.

I remember it came up in another thread but don't remember now.

Could be in wubi forum. I asked about it there? Do you have a clue on dns?

Search found it but none answered it.

"have your IP-address-gateway-dns-server-info ready"

how do I find out such?

I've found two of them now in the LAN box but the third?
    Last edited by nooby; October 24th, 2007 at 07:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I try 7.1 then but I forgot to ask an important question.

I need to give linux important numbers that have to do with DNS and such. For a noob a newbie that is totally beyond me.

I have no clue on such figures.

I remember it came up in another thread but don't remember now.

Could be in wubi forum. I asked about it there? Do you have a clue on dns?
    DNS? It asks you for it? Don't you have a plain DSL or Cable connection? Are you using wireless? Maybe try using wired internet for now. Other than that, if you're on a static connection that doesn't automatically configure your DNS and all, you'll need to check your ISP's manual and such for DNS info; it's different for everyone.

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast