Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saucy gnome fallback top and bottom panel color

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Saucy gnome fallback top and bottom panel color

Every time I boot into Saucy the middle section of the top and bottom panels are a light color close to white.
    I have found that if I hold ALT+Super+right click the mouse on each panel, go to properties, click background,
    change it to solid color and then back to none (use system theme) then it straightens out and the color matches the rest of the panels.

I have to do this once per login on each panel.

Any ideas? Or is this perhaps just a phase?
    Last edited by Cavsfan; July 31st, 2013 at 09:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Saucy gnome fallback top and bottom panel color

Hi Cavsfan,

I didn't have such issue on my saucy...
    And I suppose you mean the area "Center pack" of gnome-panel couldn't apply the correct theming appearance, right?

So, which gtk3 theme do you use? or I hope you'd already checked any contents packed in center-pack via dconf-editor...

Usually such bugs might be caused by some types of gtk theming instead of the codes in gnome-panel, donf/gconf backends, and so...

Best Regards,
    Tista

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    Hi Cavsfan,

I didn't have such issue on my saucy...
    And I suppose you mean the area "Center pack" of gnome-panel couldn't apply the correct theming appearance, right?

So, which gtk3 theme do you use? or I hope you'd already checked any contents packed in center-pack via dconf-editor...

Usually such bugs might be caused by some types of gtk theming instead of the codes in gnome-panel, donf/gconf backends, and so...

Best Regards,
    Tista
    Thanks for the post but, I was hoping to hear from someone with the same problem. I have not touched anything in donf/gconf and if I change anything
    as far as the panel colors go in gnome-tweak-tool it gets much, much worse than it already is.

This is what it looks like when I initially login before being "touched up".
    It isn't anything I have done as far as I can tell. I am noticing that the menus in Applications in the top left have gone weird. Many things are duplicated while
    others are in places I haven't seen before. I guess I'll have to try to touch them up.

I'm sure I could just install from a fresh iso and most probably this problem would go away but, I am not about to do that right now.
    The panel colors aren't a deal breaker, just thought I'd throw this out there and see if any one else has the same issue.

Beans
    Distro

I have same problem...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by albertsmuktupavels View Post
    I have same problem...
    Great! I don't mean that in a bad way. I just meant that it's good to know I am not the only one who has this problem.
    Thanks for posting!

I mentioned the work around in the first post but, you have to do it every time you login.

java popup.png

I am also getting this in Firefox when I click on different links. I have NoScript addon but,
    I have never seen that before on any of the other 5 Linux systems installed on this box.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I mentioned the work around in the first post but, you have to do it every time you login.
    Workaround is not solution to me. I don't want do it for 6 panels every time I login. Furthermore after some time white colour comes back for some panels.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by albertsmuktupavels View Post
    Workaround is not solution to me. I don't want do it for 6 panels every time I login. Furthermore after some time white colour comes back for some panels.
    I agree. Something you have to do like that every time you login is definitely not a workaround.
    I just wanted to mention what I had found to get rid of the white parts. Remember this is a developmental release and things are going to break.
    In today's updates one was for the gnome-shell which I had hoped fixed this problem but, upon reboot the problem is still there.

I thought I seen the bottom panel change back to white yesterday but, wasn't sure.
    Right now the menus at the top left when you click on Applications are so messed up it is hard to find things and many things are duplicated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I think I found what caused it and the solution as well. Time will tell but, upon reboot it looks normal.
    As far as what caused it: I am pretty sure I installed the gnome-shell via sudo apt-get gnome-shell. I believe that was when the fun began.

The solution was to remove gnome-shell and gnome-shell-extentions via Synaptic and leave anything else gnome-shell* alone.
    It also removed gdm but that did not matter to me as I use lightdm.

If you enter in terminal sudo apt-get purge gnome-shell, it will take gnome-session-fallback with it which is the reason a lot of us are here.

So, be sure and use SPM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Pretty sure that also fixed the java error popup window I was getting too every time I clicked on certain things.

Haven't had it happen since I purged gnome-shell.

It also straightened out my Application menu. I don't have duplication any more and everything looks like it is back to normal.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; June 14th, 2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added last line

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well it is back sort of. The top panel is white and some apps in the bottom panel are white.
    I just removed gnome-shell-common which was the last remaining gnome* version 3.8.2 thing I had installed.
    Removed it via SPM also and it took gnome-tweak-tool with it.

Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ apt-cache policy gnome-panel
    gnome-panel:
      Installed: 1:3.6.2-0ubuntu4
      Candidate: 1:3.6.2-0ubuntu4
      Version table:
     *** 1:3.6.2-0ubuntu4 0
            500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy/universe amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    Not sure what to make of it now. I'll reboot and see.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast