Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ub 10.04 video output (strange) problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ub 10.04 video output (strange) problem

hi all,

i am using ubuntu 10.04 with 2.6.34 kernel on asus 1201n netbook. Video playback and (build in) camera used to work perfectly... Things have changed after playing with second monitor connected via HDMI cable - it was some problem with sound, which i've solved. But after then i found, that i cant play movies! i am running (my favorite) mplayer and i cant see movie, only black window appears with no pictures. Sound works nice. I cant see any error logs. Solution that i've found is to add an extra parameter to mplayer - namely -vo x11 (or -vo vdpau) - then pictres came back and everything is fine. I supose, that the default -vo was xv, and for some reasons xv doesnt work (or is sending output to this second (unplugged) monitor????).

Movies is only one problem, but many more softwares works with XV video output. So i cant work with my camera on Skype (i cant put other vo options to skype) and i cant see myself in outgoing video (since people can see me without any troubles!). Also, I cant see people in Skype when other guys are sending me video chat (only black screen -once again).

I try to test is my camera, and it works ok -
    mplayer -vf screenshot -fps 15 tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0
    shows only black screen, but
    mplayer -vo x11 -vf screenshot -fps 15 tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0
    works excelent!

VLC with -V x11 runs and shows pictures from my camera or movies, since without -V x11 (=so with defaults parameteres, which i assume is -V XV) shows only blcack screen during playback

Also, I have try gstremer-propoerties (run from ordinary user) but i cant see any differences when i am changing plugin box (Video sheet) from automatic detection to X11 system without Xv (or) to X11 system with X11/Shm/Xv - so i am confused...

So i am thinking, that video (with VX output) goes through HDMI cable? which is no longer connected... how to check it? or others suggestions?

anybody can give me any hint?
    thanks,
    Krzysiek
    Last edited by gawryl77; November 2nd, 2010 at 09:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ub 10.04 video output (strange) problem

i really need help...

i ve got another clue: after connecting second monitor via VGA port and reconfiguring monitor (nvidia-seting) XV videooutput works well ! i can play movies without adding an extra -vo x11 options (defaults works, and -vo xv also works).

BUT after unplugging second monitor and pluging it once again, but via HDMI port (and reconfiguring monitor settings - nvidia-settings) XV video output is dead only black screen

so?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have the same problem, I guess some software update broke "xv". I started seeing this about 2-3 months ago. Did you find a fix for this yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

BTW do you use Compiz? I was able to get mplayer + xv to work by following advice on this thread. Just disabled the "Workarounds" section in Compiz Settings.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=518117

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hi,

yes-i am using Compiz. so i fallow your suggestion and have disabled Workarounds in Compiz Settings... and it works!

i am not changing title of my thread to [solved] because i have to do some more test, but i am a good cheer with this

thanks dude!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gawryl77 View Post
    hi,

yes-i am using Compiz. so i fallow your suggestion and have disabled Workarounds in Compiz Settings... and it works!
    my happiness was too soon
    it worked, because last time i ve connected second monitor via VGA port. So i plugged HDMI cable and... XV video output is dead i think it's not Compiz related problem, because i decided to disabled Compiz - but without bettering XV problem...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i am still waiting for the solution...

i have switched off compiz (chosen no effects) and mplayer does't play movies (black window). mplayer -vo vdpau works weel. BUT i need Skype and (damn!) i have also black screen on video conversations!

what to do?
    or - how to pass -vo vdpau option to the Skype?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The vdpau option is video decode (& presentation) in h/w for nVidia GPU.

It is no help for Skype.
    Skype is built using gstreamer (AFAIK), you may be able to change the gstreamer setup thru' gconf-editor to use v4l & not v4l2 (see below).

What video driver are you running ?
    Have you tried the vl4 compatibility library for Skype/webcam ?
    (there is a cmd line option to force use of the v4l1 lib instead of v4l2)
    http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/219
    http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Webcam#Skype
    Last edited by BicyclerBoy; September 27th, 2011 at 01:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    The vdpau option is video decode (& presentation) in h/w for nVidia GPU.

It is no help for Skype.
    Skype is built using gstreamer (AFAIK), you may be able to change the gstreamer setup thru' gconf-editor to use v4l & not v4l2 (see below).
    ok, let me clarify - i've got GENERAL video output problem (movies are not playing, only black screen apears), not only with Skype. BUT in case with movies i can solve it - i have to pass an extra argument to the command line (mplayer works -shows me the movies- when i add -vo vdpau OR -vo x11 options. Default video output (xv) doesnt work).

So, maybe i have to reinstall xv drivers (they are defaults for Skype) but i dont know witch ones (there are many packages with xv in names). And i will run gstreamer setup (i havent use that app - thanks for that), will see.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I know you have general video problems.
    The std ubuntu packages use gstreamer backend, no VDPAU.
    Adding monitors uses more RAM.
    AFAIK Your video graphics uses shared system RAM.

-vo vdpau will not work unless you are running nVidia driver..
    x11 is deprecated..
    No netbook will achieve video performance without the video driver setup correctly..
    The ION chipset has issues with RAM configuration (type/arrangement/amount)
    VDPAU needs 512MB & ION VDPAU seems to need more buffers.
    Can you increase the video memory in BIOS ?

What video driver are you using ?
    glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast