Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy from a new Linux user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Howdy from a new Linux user.

Long time computer user, first time with Linux. First system was a Win98 system, totally hated it, vowed to never own another windows system. Tried to install Red Hat on it without sucess. Long story short bought an iMac "Lamp" computer in 2002 and didn't look back. Totally loved it, intutive op system, not much worry about virus problems. Dang lighting strike came through the DSL and took out my nice old Mac a couple weeks ago so I was without a computer. Tried a HP laptop with Win8, what a piece of junk(the op system, not the computer), had 6 or so "Your computer has run into a problem and must restart" deals within a week then my wife got onto Facebook and got a Trojan horse that totally replaced one of the files. That was enough of that, after a week I returned the laptop to Wally World and went on a quest for an older laptop that I can run Linux on.
    Ended up with two(count em' TWO) laptops and a 32GB USB drive for about the same money as I had in the one laptop.
    Mine is a HP.Compaq nc8230, 1.86MHz single core, 32bit system, 60GB hard drive, 1GB RAM(hopefully I'll upgrade to the max of 2GB soon) that I just installed Ubuntu 12.04.2 on and I'm Lovin' it. It's as intuitive as my old Mac OS was and best of all it was FREE.
    My wife's new laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ57 with a 1.5GHz Intel Celeron dual core, 64 bit system and 4GB of RAM with a 320GB hard drive, I think she'll be set for quite a while with that computer. I plan on downloading the 64 bit version of 12.04 and installing it on her system tomorrow so she'll not have to worry about picking up stuff off of Facebook anymore.
    Anyway, just wanted to drop in and say "Howdy" from Tennessee to everyone and I'll probably be seeing ya'll on the forums.
    I really think I'm going to love Linux.

Beans

Re: Howdy from a new Linux user.

Howdy neighbor, welcome to the sunny side.

Beans
    Distro

So are there any other folks in the Tennessee area that'd like to chime in and say "Howdy" or are ya'll to shy.LOL

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    So are there any other folks in the Tennessee area
    Nope

Ya should of posted here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Howdy from a new Linux user.

Howdy..Not in Tenn., but close by in NC. Welcome to Linux.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

i recommend installing clamtk. the only virus we have had in years came thru facebook.it took out the recovery part of the system. had to reinstall.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    i recommend installing clamtk. the only virus we have had in years came thru facebook.it took out the recovery part of the system. had to reinstall.
    use adblock + noscript+ disable 3ed party cookies, the viruses come through 3ed party ads

@op
    'op system' is normally written 'os' took me a few seconds to figure out what you meant there
    i highly recommend xubuntu 13.04 for your wife's laptop, highly customizable and fast
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

use adblock + noscript+ disable 3ed party cookies
    I don't know how we shifted gears here, but a big +1 on that suggestion.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    I don't know how we shifted gears here, but a big +1 on that suggestion.
    someone brought up getting virus from facebook
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

I had ClamX on my Mac, seemed to be pretty decent. Guess I'll install it "just in case". I just need to figure out how to get my 25 posts so I can update my profile,LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast