Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

I can commit my dusty iBook G4 to it.
    #!HP Envy Ubuntu 14.04 iBook G4 PPC - MintPPC from Debian Wheezy

Beans

Testing LiveDVD Lu 12.04 on iBook G4 993MHz & 612??MB RAM dual USB:

Ran a second experiment on the LiveDVD burned recently as mentioned in previous post, still no time to burn doing an installation. And overall it does boot up with just the word "live" . . . no other boot parameters needed. But, checking for "Suspend" which is important for me . . . there was no tab for "suspend"??? Clicking on Hibernate brought--"not authorized" whatever that might mean. And, no biggie, wireless is not working--"b43--not found, device not ready" . . . probably needs a driver?????? IMHO.

But, perhaps a little more concerning is while looking at a photo filled web email page in FF, the DVD drive started chattering, fan started blowing pretty hard, and then lost control of the mouse while trying to click on stuff . . . had to shut it down. This same loss of mouse control happened when I was testing a Ku LiveDVD quite awhile back. Would that mean that the iBook would require an xorg.conf file to be installed to keep everything under control?? Possibly . . . it could be that the installer would straighten all of that out during the install, but, as I mentioned I don't have the time to take that gamble and then need to spend time to fix it . . . so I'm on the fence on the iBook--maybe later in the year there will be more time for fiddling around.

If I ever get my iMac back running the Xu/Lu system already I would be happy to try to hook it up as an official "tester" . . . as last we stood, it probably needs a change of xorg.conf file, but it won't run long enough to do . . . so it's out of the running for PPC test champion award . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

I'd love to test on 2 PowerMac G4s, but I can't even get the PPC ISOs to boot. I have tried Lubuntu 12.10 and Ubuntu 12.04, both for PPC, and both stop at the same point - the screen goes white with black text ending in "returning from prom_init", then goes pure black and sits there. I've let it stay there for hours on end, and nothing. This is a 733MHz with 1Gig RAM, running whatever card it came with in the Digital Audio version (it is unmarked), through the VGA port.

I've tried:
    live
    live video=ofonly (or whatever it recommends)
    test-powerpc
    live-powerpc
    live-config-powerpc
    and a few others (these are all from memory, don't have it fired up right now). They all have the same symptoms.

I'll dig through the forums to see if I can find a solution.
    Last edited by talonts; February 18th, 2013 at 07:30 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by talonts View Post
    I'd love to test on 2 PowerMac G4s, but I can't even get the PPC ISOs to boot. I have tried Lubuntu 12.10 and Ubuntu 12.04, both for PPC, and both stop at the same point - the screen goes white with black text ending in "returning from prom_init", then goes pure black and sits there. I've let it stay there for hours on end, and nothing. This is a 733MHz with 1Gig RAM, running whatever card it came with in the Digital Audio version (it is unmarked), through the VGA port.

I've tried:
    live
    live video=ofonly (or whatever it recommends)
    test-powerpc
    live-powerpc
    live-config-powerpc
    and a few others (these are all from memory, don't have it fired up right now). They all have the same symptoms.

I'll dig through the forums to see if I can find a solution.
    @talonts:

Since nobody who knows what they are doing is replying, I'll offer a couple thoughts . . . first, it seems that the general opinion is that Lubuntu 12.04 is more friendly to PPC computers, so if you haven't tried that version then it might get it going. I don't know enough to know whether you would need to disable KMS or not for your computer--try to check the Ubuntu PPCFAQ page for more details. After trying many Linux versions I was able to get Xu/Lu running on my iMac 800 using a retro installed driver--nv--took a little bit of doing in CLI to get it done, but it seemed to be OK with an xorg.conf file--then the computer has basically taken a dive.

The other option, I checked through my notes taken while testing the 12.10 Lu LiveDVD on my iBook and it looks like I got it booted by using "live-nospalsh-powerpc driver_updates" . . . you didn't mention that choice, but maybe you used it??

e.e.p.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

One of these days I'll fire up my PPC G4 again. It still has a working Debian install on it with a custom kernel built by me.

If I get some free time I'll fool around with some of the newer Lubuntu Live discs.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

I intend to put together a xubuntu 12.04 iso over the next few days. Is there anything people want on it? Here is what I have planned so far:

I'll use the oneiric version of Abiword so that it works.

Start with Firefox 17.0. FF18 had awful font rendering and 19 has a blue picture bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/firefox/+bug/1130857 . I suggest people confirm the linked mozilla bug so that it gets looked at.

I'll include the nv package.

I'll use the latest debian wheezy radeon package.

I'll add an xorg file for G3 imacs (although you'll have to start in single user mode and copy it manually).

Include some USB fixes.

Apart from the above, all packages will be at the latest ubuntu versions. That includes the kernel so suspend will work (eep).

It will probably be oversized so DVD or usb booting.

Btw, I also have the whole Mint Maya repository and xubuntu-dev ppa compiled. So if there is a lot of interest I can produce a proper Mint xfce iso too. Obviously that is treading on the toes of Mintppc and I'd prefer to devote my time on setting up my own Mate distro. I've added info in the FAQ about Mint if people want to have a go at compiling stuff for themselves. You can use their theme and icons without compiling.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    I intend to put together a xubuntu 12.04 iso over the next few days. Is there anything people want on it? Here is what I have planned so far:

I'll use the oneiric version of Abiword so that it works.
    I'll include the nv package.
    I'll use the latest debian wheezy radeon package.

Apart from the above, all packages will be at the latest ubuntu versions. That includes the kernel so suspend will work (eep).
    @rsavage:

That sounds great, and basically just in time--thanks for your efforts. After I saw that post about Xubuntu, and remembering that I had it installed on my dying iMac, yesterday I looked around to see if there was a Xubuntu LiveDVD for PPC available . . . and there wasn't . . . the support for PPC is definitely shrinking. It looks like I did the Xu installation using a mini.iso installer, but I don't know where I even found that for PPC. Anyway, it's great news to hear that you are putting this package together, thanks for that. Where will I look to procure the project?

The Mate project looks interesting, I've got LM Maya with Mate DE installed on my MBP and it is very nice . . . seems to update without blowing itself up, etc . . . it could be interesting to see how that translates to PPC, although my iBook probably would be shy on speed and RAM . . . . Anyway, thanks.

e.e.p.

Beans

I'll put a link on here for the download. Will be sometime this week I think.

I use Mate + compiz + the very latest thunar. Is quick, but nowhere near ready for the general public.

Beans

eep, there might be a delay on the iso so if you need it soon I'd install from the mini-iso.

I've got a version of the CD working that I hacked together, but the version using the proper Ubuntu scripts for some reason doesn't install correctly (although it works as a live CD). So I've got to figure out why it's not working or make my hacked CD better.

Also, I now think I know how to make the iMac G3 work out-of-the-box with the live CD. I've also spent quite a bit of time on the r128 driver (is hard when I don't have a machine) and Connor Behan (the r128 developer) helped me out with a few things. I can now include an updated r128 driver with the EXA patch.

Are there any other machines that need an xorg.conf before they work?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    eep, there might be a delay on the iso so if you need it soon I'd install from the mini-iso.
    I've got a version of the CD working that I hacked together(although it works as a live CD). So I've got to figure out why it's not working or make my hacked CD better.
    Are there any other machines that need an xorg.conf before they work?
    @rsavage:

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that work is progressing . . . but, there isn't any raging hurry right now, so I don't mind waiting if I can. I also have a lot of things going, and then shortly it will be tax time here in the good 'ole. So, I do have a Ubun mini-installer from, looks like June of last year, but I'd be interested in the LiveDVD to test and then if all goes well--install from to the iBook G4--no worries though.

In terms of machines, from my personal experience with the difficulties of it, the iMac G4 that I finally got a Xu/Lu system installed on before the machine started into fits of kernel panics . . . is one that probably needs a good xorg.conf file--for those out there who have one, they still seem to post on forums about having problems, etc. I may try to fix mine, don't know how simple or expensive it would be, but for a home unit it does what I need well enough. I f I needed to reinstall a Linux system on it, it would be great if it just worked out of the box . . . whenever that would be . . . .

Thanks for your many efforts to keep PPC going in Linux,

e.e.p.

Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast