Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 11.10 dual monitor nvidia card problem

Beans

Smile Re: 11.10 dual monitor nvidia card problem

Hi folks! I guess I've found a solution for the multiple displays problem... only thanks to you guys.

1.) disable active drivers (if you have any after fresh install f.e.)
    2.) install nvidia drivers current (not pre-release)
    3.) reboot
    4.) type cd /etc/X11/ and then cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup (it makes copy of your configuration file... {just in case})
    5.) open up the terminal and enter: sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-pixbuf
    6.) after installation enter sudo nvidia-settings (it opens up the Nvidia X Server settings)
    7.) goto X Server Display Configuration
    8.) set your settings, BUT! don't hit apply... when you are finished hit Save to X Configuration File
    9.) log off and log in again

and voala it should be done now! I had problems saving my X configuration file but I fixed it by the step number 4

Again thanks to james.m instructions and:
    http://www.wetware.co.nz/2009/10/fai...cx11xorg-conf/
    http://www.macewan.org/2006/11/19/gt...e_path-pixmap/

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by glogo; October 23rd, 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Beans

Re: 11.10 dual monitor nvidia card problem

The silly thing is that when I take the laptop home and go back to only a single monitor I need to remember to delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf, otherwise X still thinks there is a second monitor attached.

What beats me is that this has worked perfectly for the last umpteen releases of Ubuntu. How can it go from working perfectly to being completely broken and pass through Ubuntu QA and make its way into a release?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The solution for me was to remove the monitors.xml from the ~/.config folder while the computer was connected to the dock. After logging out and logging in again the problem was gone.

After that everything worked smoothly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by james.m View Post
    The silly thing is that when I take the laptop home and go back to only a single monitor I need to remember to delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf, otherwise X still thinks there is a second monitor attached.

What beats me is that this has worked perfectly for the last umpteen releases of Ubuntu. How can it go from working perfectly to being completely broken and pass through Ubuntu QA and make its way into a release?
    Yeah... I have this problem too... I strongly believe that Ubuntu team will find the answer and fix it in some updates soon :/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by glogo View Post
    Hi folks! I guess I've found a solution for the multiple displays problem... only thanks to you guys.

1.) disable active drivers (if you have any after fresh install f.e.)
    2.) install nvidia drivers current (not pre-release)
    3.) reboot
    4.) type cd /etc/X11/ and then cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup (it makes copy of your configuration file... {just in case})
    5.) open up the terminal and enter: sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-pixbuf
    6.) after installation enter sudo nvidia-settings (it opens up the Nvidia X Server settings)
    7.) goto X Server Display Configuration
    8.) set your settings, BUT! don't hit apply... when you are finished hit Save to X Configuration File

and voala it should be done now! I had problems saving my X configuration file but I fixed it by the step number 4

Again thanks to james.m instructions and:
    http://www.wetware.co.nz/2009/10/fai...cx11xorg-conf/
    http://www.macewan.org/2006/11/19/gt...e_path-pixmap/

Hope this helps!
    You forgot step 9.) Log out and log back in

which actually applies the
    Code:
    xorg.conf
    file. This caused me hours of setback (in the form of giving up on this method and reinstalling without internet connection to get the Nouveau drivers (which didn't work well enough for me due to slowness)).

Beans

I'm using a GeForce 8400M GS by the way.

Beans

same problem here with Geforce 7300 GO and 173 & 96 drivers. With nvidia-current gnome-shell does not repaint at all and unity2d has horrible video tearing. With nouveau desktop is quite slow and awakes with complete garbage from suspend.

Beans

I deleted my xorg.conf file and rebooted, and now I can select my second monitor again! However, I noticed two bugs: first, notifications keep appearing on my secondary monitor (ran this from a terminal: notify-send test test). Likewise, whenever I click on an app indicator icon on the status bar up top, the menu disappears almost immediately. If I click it enough times it'll finally stay open, but then the indicators on the second monitor start disappearing instead (it goes back and forth, basically).

Beans

Hello,

i had the same problem, but found a solution that worked for me and my two monitors are up and running. I thought i'd share this with you.

I followed these steps and everything worked fine.

Try to completely remove your nvidia drivers from your system:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

Remove your xorg.conf
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Reinstall xorg completely
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64

Re-configure Xorg
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Reboot
    sudo reboo

After the reboot my monitors were both displaying the same picture so i opened the "Displays" Setting from System Settings and i uncheked the "mirror displays" option.

i hope this will help you guys.
    Last edited by philip260897; October 22nd, 2011 at 12:46 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ijoseph View Post
    You forgot step 9.) Log out and log back in

which actually applies the
    Code:
    xorg.conf
    file. This caused me hours of setback (in the form of giving up on this method and reinstalling without internet connection to get the Nouveau drivers (which didn't work well enough for me due to slowness)).
    Oh sorry, I really did forget that step. I hope eveeything is just OK now. (I've added the step)

When I was searching for my solution I had to reinstall my OS several times so I hope your journey was much shorter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast