Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet not working with WPA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Exclamation Internet not working with WPA

For some reason my Ubuntu computer will not connect to the internet when the router uses WPA but is fine with WEP the sooner this is fixed the better because my ubuntu computer is down until this is solved . But I know the Ubuntu community and I am sure we will resolve this in no time so please throw any ideas at me.
    A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without bricks tied to its head.

Beans

Re: Internet not working with WPA

Quote Originally Posted by wesleybishop View Post
    For some reason my Ubuntu computer will not connect to the internet when the router uses WPA but is fine with WEP the sooner this is fixed the better because my ubuntu computer is down until this is solved . But I know the Ubuntu community and I am sure we will resolve this in no time so please throw any ideas at me.

yes yes yes

it depends what card do u have not all work out of the box with wpa and ubuntu

i had for example rt2870 and it didnt work with sta driver every 1 min internet was disconnected etc .

buy card that does work or configure your card properly than it may work.

if u have iwl or zd ath rt73 rt2800 they work for sure

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wesleybishop View Post
    you might also want to look at this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=14

Beans
    Distro

I have a Belkin Wireless USB http://www.productwiki.com/upload/im...sb_adapter.jpg .

Also I figured out that if I change it to automatic DHCP adn Manual DNS it will not work at all but if I change it to Default which Is Auto DHCP and DNS it will work but soooo slowly that it is unusable.
    A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without bricks tied to its head.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bkratz View Post
    you might also want to look at this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=14
    Mine is set to WPA-PSK [TKIP]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I thought WPA & WPA2 have been available in Ubuntu for a while now, guess not.

In any case, if you cannot find native Ubuntu support for your card, you can go the NDIS Wrapper route, where you install the windows driver.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper

hth...-baji.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Baji P. View Post
    I thought WPA & WPA2 have been available in Ubuntu for a while now, guess not.

In any case, if you cannot find native Ubuntu support for your card, you can go the NDIS Wrapper route, where you install the windows driver.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper

hth...-baji.
    My card works fine with Ubuntu I have been using this card for a while now its just they changed the encryption to WPA now it does not work. Thanks for the idea though Plus I have no inter net on my Ubuntu desktop computer to download this program.
    Last edited by wesleybishop; September 1st, 2010 at 01:51 PM.

Beans

Exclamation wireless cannot detect

i am installing ubuntu 10.0.4 using laptop msi cr400 , i can not detect the wireless, pls anyone help

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: wireless cannot detect

Quote Originally Posted by nightkidz View Post
    i am installing ubuntu 10.0.4 using laptop msi cr400 , i can not detect the wireless, pls anyone help
    go to http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336 then on the top left corner you should see a new thread button click on that and type as detailed information as you can give

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: wireless cannot detect

NightKidz...when you started the installation, did you have your laptop connected to the internet using a wired connection ?

A high % of wireless issues would get resolved automatically if people just did the install while connected to the internet with a wired ethernet connection.

This allows the installer to probe your hardware and connect to online package repositories and check for drivers for your hardware. Without a wired connection the installer cannot to the repositories even if a driver were available.

Without that wired connection, if the driver is not on the CD you are out of luck...hth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast