Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by ruibrito View Post
    hi, i use the tutorial that's in page 1 (the first one), and I got only this error when i try to download my mail from hotmail:

"-ERR unable to find folder inbox on remote server"

i belive it's because of POP and i yet cannt find a way to put hotmail to work in EVOLUTION.

i try to find pop3.com and fail.

please help and sorry if this inst the first something like this happens

best regards
    Ditto.....setup according to first post, but got the same error.....
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Send and Receive Hotmail through Evolution

Installation of hotwayd as described in the first post is no longer needed. It is mentioned earlier in this thread, but that info gets snowed under because every time new posts are added...

Since some time now, you can use the following settings just like any regular POP account:

Code:
    Incoming server: pop3.live.com
    Username: your_username @hotmail.com
    Use secure connection: SSL
    Authentication type: password

Outgoing server: smtp.live.com
    Server requires authentication: yes
    Security: SSL
    Authentication type: plain
    With these settings, you should be able to get is working without going through the hotway deamon (on 127.0.0.1) ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I tried using the settings described in the last two pages, and it still doesn't work. I get prompted for my password, and when I enter it I get: "Unable to connect to POP server pop3.live.com. Error sending password: resource temporarily unavailable."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nevon View Post
    I tried using the settings described in the last two pages, and it still doesn't work. I get prompted for my password, and when I enter it I get: "Unable to connect to POP server pop3.live.com. Error sending password: resource temporarily unavailable."
    I had the above error until I corrected my username to xxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com (note, I had to add the '@hotmail.com' part). Hell yeah! Hotmail in Linux, baby!

Darryl
    Last edited by dphirschler; April 16th, 2009 at 04:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dphirschler View Post
    I had the above error until I corrected my username to xxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com (note, I had to add the '@hotmail.com' part).
    I already had the @hotmail.com part in there. So that's not my problem, unfortunately.

EDIT: Oh man, I am such an idiot! My C key is kind of busted, so I had accidentally written xxxxxxxxx@hotmail.om. Now it's working as it's supposed to.
    Last edited by Nevon; April 16th, 2009 at 07:36 PM.

Beans

Well it appears to work fine, but at closer inspection I can only receive hotmail. I still cannot send. I've checked and rechecked my settings and I can't think of what I might have missed. I am using the new pop3 settings posted above... which are also spelled out in Microsoft's press release.

Code:
    Incoming server: pop3.live.com
    Username: your_username @hotmail.com
    Use secure connection: SSL
    Authentication type: password

Outgoing server: smtp.live.com
    Server requires authentication: yes
    Security: SSL
    Authentication type: plain

Darryl

Beans

Hello, i to am having issues with the sending emails part. Getting error saying "Could not connect to smtp.live.com; Connection timed out"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    Thanks. However, should be hotsmtp, not hotsmtpd as set out in the third code step in your original post.
    ok i got it working using the original tut. however the first time i did it, i didn't add the d like stated in the quote above. Went back added the d and everything works like it should. Again original tutorial works great, thanks.

Beans

OK, I think I have some answers. It turns out my ISP, Bellsouth.net (which is now att.net) is blocking port 25 which is what Hotmail wants to use. They have a fix on their website which basically has you using their smtp server for sending emails. I found the fix by searching their website for "smtp port 25".

For me, I had to go into Evolution's Hotmail settings and change the sending server to mail.bellsouth.net. Then I had to say "no encryption" and change the Authentication Type to "Login" and then put in my bellsouth email address in the username field. Finally check "remember password".

So now I can send and receive Hotmail using Evolution. However I have noticed that deleting emails here in Evolution and then checking my hotmail through the web interface, the emails are still there. So it behaves differently than Outlook did in my Windows PC. In Outlook, when I deleted an email, it would delete it locally as well as on the Hotmail web werver. Maybe there is still some setting I need to check.

At least we are one step closer. Why can't it "just work" like gmail?

Darryl

Beans

OK, I think I have some answers. It turns out my ISP, Bellsouth.net (which is now att.net) is blocking port 25 which is what Hotmail wants to use. They have a fix on their website which basically has you using their smtp server for sending emails. I found the fix by searching their website for "smtp port 25".

For me, I had to go into Evolution's Hotmail settings and change the sending server to mail.bellsouth.net. Then I had to say "no encryption" and change the Authentication Type to "Login" and then put in my bellsouth email address in the username field. Finally check "remember password".

So now I can send and receive Hotmail using Evolution. However I have noticed that deleting emails here in Evolution and then checking my hotmail through the web interface, the emails are still there. So it behaves differently than Outlook did in my Windows PC. In Outlook, when I deleted an email, it would delete it locally as well as on the Hotmail web werver. Maybe there is still some setting I need to check.

At least we are one step closer. Why can't it "just work" like gmail?

Darryl

Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast