Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: accounting software for a small hardware business

Beans

accounting software for a small hardware business

hi just wondering if you could suggest any accounting software that would do inventory, invoices, and purchase orders. got a lot of items like 3,000 items in my warehouse which i would like to use the program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: accounting software for a small hardware business

You asked in wrong subforum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unfortunately no, Quickbooks is really the only reason I keep an XP box around. If you find something I'd be interested as well, intuiut seems to be lowering the bar, not raising it, but when I went looking a couple of years ago quickbooks was no longer wine supported after around 2004, and there were no native linux options that could produce invoices and track inventory.

I've heard good things about gnucash but it's more of a personal account manager than a business application.

Beans
    Hidden!

Not a support request for Ubuntu Studio.
    Thread moved to The Community Cafe.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ongandrew2 View Post
    hi just wondering if you could suggest any accounting software that would do inventory, invoices, and purchase orders. got a lot of items like 3,000 items in my warehouse which i would like to use the program.
    there is openERP. but maybe that is overkill?

i have no experience over it.

Also there might be some web based solutions for this that are OS independent. we use such a local solution for accounting.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

SQL-Ledger or god forbid, Quickbooks on a WinXP virtual machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by elgordodude View Post
    Unfortunately no, Quickbooks is really the only reason I keep an XP box around. If you find something I'd be interested as well, intuiut seems to be lowering the bar, not raising it, but when I went looking a couple of years ago quickbooks was no longer wine supported after around 2004, and there were no native linux options that could produce invoices and track inventory.

I've heard good things about gnucash but it's more of a personal account manager than a business application.
    Gnucash is definitely not a good replacement for Quickbooks.

What makes you say that Intuit is lowering the bar? I'm actually liking the newer versions a lot better. I'm using 2010, and I love the fact that they finally added a feature to let you attach scanned paperwork to entries. Before that, I had to rely on an expensive 3rd party solution that was a huge SQL monster. I like where they're going and how they're finally integrating things that should have been integrated from the beginning. And you just can't beat their payroll service.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Intuit now offers a cloud-based version if you're not averse to storing your business's financial and inventory data on its servers. That approach avoids the need for a Windows machine if that's a real issue, but if you have a licensed Windows CD or DVD lying around, I'd install Windows inside a VirtualBox virtual machine and run the actual application from there. One nice feature is being able to take portable snapshots of the virtual machine as a backup mechanism.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    SQL-Ledger or god forbid, Quickbooks on a WinXP virtual machine.
    Or you could try Qucikbooks On Wine. Sometimes wine doent play well with windows software, sometimes its okay, it all just depends. wine would be lighter weight then VirtualBox.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by besial View Post
    Or you could try Qucikbooks On Wine. Sometimes wine doent play well with windows software, sometimes its okay, it all just depends. wine would be lighter weight then VirtualBox.
    Earlier in this thread we have:
    Quote Originally Posted by elgordodude View Post
    [W]hen I went looking a couple of years ago quickbooks was no longer wine supported after around 2004....
    I don't know whether that is still true, but it's why I recommended VirtualBox. Presumably this would be running on a dedicated machine.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast