Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI mobility Radeon HD 5470

Beans

Re: ATI mobility Radeon HD 5470

Hi,

I would also like to know if this card (ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5470) is now Just Working™ with Ubuntu 10.04.

I'm considering to buy a laptop with this videocard, and since I'm quite new to Ubuntu, I really need it to work without a lot of trouble. Compiz is not 100% required, but I do want an acceptable screen resolution.

If installing the propretary drivers (the ones suggested by Ubuntu) is all I will need to do, then that would be really great.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Elkimo View Post
    Hi,

I would also like to know if this card (ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5470) is now Just Working™ with Ubuntu 10.04.

I'm considering to buy a laptop with this videocard, and since I'm quite new to Ubuntu, I really need it to work without a lot of trouble. Compiz is not 100% required, but I do want an acceptable screen resolution.

If installing the propretary drivers (the ones suggested by Ubuntu) is all I will need to do, then that would be really great.

Thanks
    It worked out of the box for me. Some trouble setting up dual displays, but it worked out OK.
    PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Rackstar View Post
    It worked out of the box for me. Some trouble setting up dual displays, but it worked out OK.
    Hi, I'm interested in this gpu/video card too-with the sony vaio E-series laptops. Rackstar your profile says you are using Karmic, perhaps you just haven't updated your profile but do you have the HD 5470 working fully in 10.4 Lucid Lynx?
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by phidia View Post
    Hi, I'm interested in this gpu/video card too-with the sony vaio E-series laptops. Rackstar your profile says you are using Karmic, perhaps you just haven't updated your profile but do you have the HD 5470 working fully in 10.4 Lucid Lynx?
    Yes, I'm using Lucid, never tried it on Karmic, but I read that it doesn't work with Karmic.

Today I fixed the switching between displays, and I'm really happy with the result. It's my first ATI graphics chip on Ubuntu, and I'm very very pleased.

Beans

Ok, thank you so much for your help, just to be clear, you just did a normal install of 10.04 (32 or 64 bit?), and you didn't alter anything manually (like an xorg file or something like that)?

Beans
    Distro

I just did a clean install of Ubuntu 10.04, activated the restricted driver. I only needed a fix to get the shortcut running to automatically switch displays, but I think this is a Dell issue.

Beans

I just loaded a Dell 1558 core i7, 5470 card, activated ATI driver that popped up in restricted hardware drivers, black screen at boot up and it hangs there.

Beans

Can't edit my above post, Solved. Tried rebooting a couple times, loaded second try. Icons on the panel were wrong, no power button etc. Removed driver, rebooted, reinstalled driver, rebooted, success. Urban terror looks good.

Beans

A little off-topic:

would that Dell laptop you've bought happen to be this one (Dutch link):
    http://configure2.euro.dell.com/dell...N0055802&s=dhs

because that's the one I'm looking at. If it is, would you recommend it to me? Does everything else work correctly out of the box?

On-topic:

So you've installed the propretary driver that was suggested by Ubuntu, you got a blank screen, deleted the driver, rebooted and reinstalled the same driver (from that driver-application in "system" - "administration"?), and then it worked? Or did you download a different driver?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Mike View Post
    Can't edit my above post, Solved. Tried rebooting a couple times, loaded second try.
    No such luck here.

I'm installing on a MSI A6205 (i5, ATI HD5470). Rebooting with the fglrx driver enabled gives me a blank screen.

The system is still working in the background - it shuts down cleanly with a ctrl-alt-del - but I can't do anything because I can't see

Multiple reboots and it's still doing the same.

Any ideas of how I can fix it?

tim

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast