Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Lubuntu] Dropbox broken after upgrading to 14.04

Beans

Question [Lubuntu] Dropbox broken after upgrading to 14.04

Hello. I just upgraded my Acer Aspire One today from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 and I'm already having some issues. Right now, I can't get Dropbox to run (although Copy is working fine, go figure).

$ dropbox status
    told me
    Dropbox isn't running!
    and neither
    $ dropbox start
    nor
    $ dropbox start -i
    nor
    $ sudo apt-get install dropbox
    worked.

I tried re-downloading the .deb from the Dropbox site but when I opened it, I got the status message "Error: Breaks existing package 'nautilus-dropbox' conflict: dropbox()"

As I was installing the upgrade, I made a sketchy note about "re-enable 3rd party w/ 'software-properties' or package manager" but I can't find where to do that.

Another thing that popped up while I was installing the upgrade (but didn't make a note about because I thought the "Forward>" button would lead me to something helpful instead of returning me to the upgrade, *sigh*) said something about restarting a thing before the upgrade continued so that users wouldn't be locked out (???) I had the vague impression it had something to do with screensaver-related things. Sorry this is so nebulous! I don't think it's caused any problems (yet), so maybe it worked itself out.

Insights would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    raen
    Last edited by raen; April 27th, 2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: More useful thread name.

Beans

Re: Re-enabling 3rd-party stuff?

Here's the kicker, though: When I log in, I get this prompt.

Am I going to have to do a fresh install of the system? I'm pretty sure I have it set up so that the system is on a different partition than my data. How do I confirm this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

How did you install dropbox ?

Using nautilus-dropbox from the multiverse repositories installs dropbox with integration in the file manager (PCManFM here, works nicely). Lets you connect to your account and syncs everything.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    How did you install dropbox ?

Using nautilus-dropbox from the multiverse repositories installs dropbox with integration in the file manager (PCManFM here, works nicely). Lets you connect to your account and syncs everything.
    According to Synaptic Package manager, I already have nautilus-dropbox 1.6.1-1 installed.

Given the lack of .deb file in my Downloads folder, I probably installed Dropbox originally via either apt-get or Lubuntu Software Center.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by raen View Post
    According to Synaptic Package manager, I already have nautilus-dropbox 1.6.1-1 installed.

Given the lack of .deb file in my Downloads folder, I probably installed Dropbox originally via either apt-get or Lubuntu Software Center.
    OK, same version here.

Make sure you do not have the dropbox package from the web site installed, not sure what the name will be as the site shows 2 dropbox_1.6.0 for both 32 and 64-bit installs.
    Code:
    dpkg -l *dropbox*
    If there is only nautilus-dropbox showing up, and as dropbox start does not let you log in and set up your computer (has it been already set up ?), I would purge nautilus-dropbox and install it again.
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

OK, same version here.

Make sure you do not have the dropbox package from the web site installed, not sure what the name will be as the site shows 2 dropbox_1.6.0 for both 32 and 64-bit installs.
    Code:
    dpkg -l *dropbox*
    If there is only nautilus-dropbox showing up, and as dropbox start does not let you log in and set up your computer (has it been already set up ?), I would purge nautilus-dropbox and install it again.
    DB package from web site not installed: check. It wouldn't let me when I tried.

Are you saying I should type
    Code:
    dpkg -l *dropbox*
    into a terminal? What will that do?

Where would be the best place to purge nautilus-dropbox? Go into Synaptic, mark for (complete) removal, then re-install?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

DB package from web site not installed: check. It wouldn't let me when I tried.

Are you saying I should type
    Code:
    dpkg -l *dropbox*
    into a terminal? What will that do?
    Just double checking you only have nautilus-dropbox installed. Yes, enter the code in terminal, it will list all installed packages that have dropbox in their name.
    Where would be the best place to purge nautilus-dropbox? Go into Synaptic, mark for (complete) removal, then re-install?

Thanks.
    Once you have checked there is only nautilus-dropbox installed, please run :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nautilus-dropbox
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Just double checking you only have nautilus-dropbox installed. Yes, enter the code in terminal, it will list all installed packages that have dropbox in their name.

Once you have checked there is only nautilus-dropbox installed, please run :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nautilus-dropbox
    Code:
    $ dpkg -l *dropbox*
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
    +++-==============-============-============-=================================
    un  dropbox        <none>       <none>       (no description available)
    ii  nautilus-dropb 1.6.1-1      i386         Dropbox integration for Nautilus
    Not sure if the other information is good or bad.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

OK, you only have nautilus-dropbox, so please purge it (the code is above) and try to reinstall it.
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

OK, you only have nautilus-dropbox, so please purge it (the code is above) and try to reinstall it.
    Purged. What's the best way to re-install it? Symantec?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast