Thread: Empathy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Empathy

The new look Empathy config is useless. It seems to hook into "Online Accounts" in 13.04, making signing into Facebook chat a huge impossible nightmare - in both Gnome and Unity!

Why tamper with something that wasn't broken?

Rant over.

So, does anyone know, if I uninstall Empathy and install Pidgin instead, will this work with the notification task bar too?

Other than that, it looks like 13.04 is set to be a real winner!

Cheers.
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Empathy

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick_NZ View Post
    The new look Empathy config is useless. It seems to hook into "Online Accounts" in 13.04, making signing into Facebook chat a huge impossible nightmare - in both Gnome and Unity!

Why tamper with something that wasn't broken?

Rant over.

So, does anyone know, if I uninstall Empathy and install Pidgin instead, will this work with the notification task bar too?

Other than that, it looks like 13.04 is set to be a real winner!

Cheers.
    I don't really have any problem with the new Empathy/Online Accounts integration and I'm using it for Facebook, GMail, Live & XMPP/Jabber. What specific issues do you actually have?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the reply.

When I get to the Online Accounts page, and shows the Facebook login, I get only so far through logging on and that part of the frame goes blank. I cancel and try again. This time I might be able to get past the login screen but then the screen goes blank when Facebook wants to verify my identity (I've opted for secure facebook login). This stuffs up any further attempts until I go to my physical Facebook page and tell them it was me and not an intruder trying to access my page using a 3rd party app. Then the process starts over again...

Life was a hell of a lot simpler the old way Empathy!

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On second thoughts, don't worry about it. I'll stick with tried-and-true Unity 12.04 for now, I don't think I've got the patience for this testing lark. Seems as if I've completely borked Gnome using 13.04.

Thanks again for your help though. Much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've had no problems with facebook or google in raring, but I've noticed some of the other plugins are totally broken in raring (aim/yahoo). When you click them nothing comes up at all under enter your account details.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    I've had no problems with facebook or google in raring, but I've noticed some of the other plugins are totally broken in raring (aim/yahoo). When you click them nothing comes up at all under enter your account details.
    I normally use Gajim but when I lost my Indicator I tried a switch to Empathy thinking that since it was the Ubuntu default it would work. Result, same problem - couldn't setup my jabber account. FYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,

I normally use Gajim but when I lost my Indicator I tried a switch to Empathy thinking that since it was the Ubuntu default it would work. Result, same problem - couldn't setup my jabber account. FYI
    Yeah in my testing aim, jabber, salut, and yahoo all dont work. i put in a bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1116449
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; February 9th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

very strange issue, did a totally clean install from yesterdays iso and aim/yahoo etc were working again. then about 10 mins later? Same problem came back, and persisted after reboots too.