Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a disk error has occurred

Beans

a disk error has occurred

Okay so here is the deal. I am a somewhat average computer user, and today I've stumbled at a dead end.
    Last night, I left a program running which finished this morning, what program Ill refrain from posting because it is irrelevant. Now I had VLC + 2 Folders open, and I was watching James Bond the Golden Finger .
    This morning, the computer was at its worst, so I figured Ill turn if off completely and let it cool off. Its a somewhat average computer for its age.
    Well when I turned it back on:
    That is what it keeps saying.
    Thus I am here, because I was able to run ubuntu from an old experiment I had on a CD. It seems to work after a couple of tries but originally it too was a pain in the rear.
    I really need to fix this as my harddrive is completely fine. I accessed it through Ubuntu and backed up anything that was required. Now I am here begging for help to fix an issue with Win7 on a linux based OS forum... I dont know where else to go

EDIT:
    Okay I think I see something relevant. My HDD is partitioned into C & D, C being win7 files and etc, and D being my own. Well in Ubuntu I only see the D partition.
    Last edited by Naughtmare; November 30th, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: You guys are my only hope :)

Quote Originally Posted by Naughtmare View Post
    Okay so here is the deal. I am a somewhat average computer user, and today I've stumbled at a dead end.
    Last night, I left a program running which finished this morning, what program Ill refrain from posting because it is irrelevant. Now I had VLC + 2 Folders open, and I was watching James Bond the Golden Finger .
    This morning, the computer was at its worst, so I figured Ill turn if off completely and let it cool off. Its a somewhat average computer for its age.
    Well when I turned it back on:
    That is what it keeps saying.
    Thus I am here, because I was able to run ubuntu from an old experiment I had on a CD. It seems to work after a couple of tries but originally it too was a pain in the rear.
    I really need to fix this as my harddrive is completely fine. I accessed it through Ubuntu and backed up anything that was required. Now I am here begging for help to fix an issue with Win7 on a linux based OS forum... I dont know where else to go

EDIT:
    Okay I think I see something relevant. My HDD is partitioned into C & D, C being win7 files and etc, and D being my own. Well in Ubuntu I only see the D partition.
    I don't understand what the issue is. "at its worse" is not descriptive in a way that we can help solve. A few specifics and exact details would be helpful. Think about copy/pasting log errors as a first step to getting more help.

Also, if your title were clearer, you might find more people able to help. I know next to nothing about Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

im not sure what you're asking for but if it's help with windows 7, you won't get that help within UBUNTU forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    im not sure what you're asking for but if it's help with windows 7, you won't get that help within UBUNTU forums.
    Pretty sure I made it clear but okay.
    Computer went super freaking slow. Like as though I was using up 90%+ of my CPU so I decided to restart it, but upon restarting it came up with this error:
    a disk error has occurred, press ctr alt del to restart
    and when I do it just loops non-stop.
    And like I mentioned in the edit:
    My HDD is partitioned into C & D, C being win7 files and etc, and D being my own. Well in Ubuntu I only see the D partition.
    Is C corrupted then if its not coming up at all?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Beans

I posted here because I need help with the HDD issue I am having, it wont allow me to run into win7 but forces to stay on either CD/DVD or ctraltdel ****.
    I am truly only here because I read on some forum about Ubuntu having a disk checker and thought that maybe you guys know about this.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu wouldn't show you the "C" drive as it looks in windows 7, you can mount it with the ntfs-3g driver. You need to determine what /dev/sdX device it is. you can use sudo fdisk -l to find out. then to mount it
    mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt/ntfs/

BUT, that won't help you run a chkdsk on it, you'll need a windows recovery console. You may be able to check a NTFS partition with linux but I am not sure how reliable it is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    Ubuntu wouldn't show you the "C" drive as it looks in windows 7, you can mount it with the ntfs-3g driver. You need to determine what /dev/sdX device it is. you can use sudo fdisk -l to find out. then to mount it
    mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt/ntfs/

BUT, that won't help you run a chkdsk on it, you'll need a windows recovery console. You may be able to check a NTFS partition with linux but I am not sure how reliable it is.
    So even if i do find out and mount it theres a no way for me to get chkdsk to go? See the thing is I can get a win7 disk. But the original disk gives me an error code 5 saying I cannot start from cd/dvd. I dont see why that happens but it does.

Ill keep trying but nothing can be done. Anyway thanks so much for all the replies
    Bye
    Last edited by Naughtmare; November 30th, 2012 at 11:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you have a disk issue for a Linux disk, use Linux tools to fix it.
    If you have a disk issue for a Windows disk, use Windows tools to fix it.

NTFS is Windows.
    FAT32 is Windows.
    EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, XFS, JFS, .... are Linux.

For Windows, you'll want to get into a "recovery console" - if you don't know what that is, google. Then you want to run both
    * scandisk
    * chkdsk
    on all your Windows partitions. If you've encrypted any of these partitions, I hope you have a good backup. This applies to Linux too.

I'm not convinced that your HDD isn't having a failure.
    I'm not convinced that your disk controller isn't having a failure.
    I'm not convinced that your PC RAM isn't having a failure.

A slow PC can mean many hundreds of things are wrong or just failing.

There are many, many other faults that could cause disk corruption, but without log files, we can't possibly guess with any level of accuracy.

Facts and data are needed.

The best solution for most issues is to restore from a good backup set, determine the root cause of the problem - either software or hardware, replace the offending item, restore from a good backup set and continue computing happily. Without a good backup, we're sorta stuck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Now I am here begging for help to fix an issue with Win7 on a linux based OS forum... I dont know where else to go

SevenForums
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast