Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to boot to command line interface?

Beans

Angry How to boot to command line interface?

Is there a way to boot Ubuntu-11.10 to a command line interface so I can bypass the graphics to regain control of my PC and do some apt-get updating? I have been hit by “Cannot display this video mode” again and this time, no matter what I do, I cannot get past this hurdle.

I installed Ubuntu-11.10 a little over a month ago and had some problems connecting to an old Dell 1280x1024 60 Hz LCD screen: “Cannot display this video mode” when Ubuntu tries to take final control of the screen after boot-up. Thanks to advice from Fantab (posting #4), I was able to resolve the issue by creating a script to set the screen to a known-good resolution/frequency and placing a link to this script in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ so the script would be executed on startup.

Regrettably, this fix no longer works. I could only access my PC with a Ubuntu-11.10 CD.

Several things changed after the last update on 30-Dec-11:

• The link to the fix resolution script was remove from /etc/X11/Xsession.d/, probably because this folder was overwritten. However, restoring the link did not remedy the situation.
    • “CRT1” is no longer recognized by xranadr. It has changed to “VGA-0”. However, fixing the resolution restoring script to address this did not remedy the situation.

Other efforts that failed:

• Changing the resolution restoring script to set a lower resolution from 1280x1024 60 to 1024x768 60 used successfully by the Ubuntu-11.10 CD.
    • Uncommenting “# GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480” and changing it to “GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024x16,800x600x24,640x480”.

..and, uncommenting “#GRUB_TERMINAL=console” still resulted in a black “Cannot display this video mode”.

In short, my PC is unusable until I can get the screen to work again. Worse yet, I am unable to install any updates that may have resolved the "Cannot display.." issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: How to boot to command line interface?

Quote Originally Posted by burnsmicro View Post
    Is there a way to boot Ubuntu-11.10 to a command line interface so I can bypass the graphics to regain control of my PC and do some apt-get updating? I have been hit by “Cannot display this video mode” again and this time, no matter what I do, I cannot get past this hurdle.

I installed Ubuntu-11.10 a little over a month ago and had some problems connecting to an old Dell 1280x1024 60 Hz LCD screen: “Cannot display this video mode” when Ubuntu tries to take final control of the screen after boot-up. Thanks to advice from Fantab (posting #4), I was able to resolve the issue by creating a script to set the screen to a known-good resolution/frequency and placing a link to this script in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ so the script would be executed on startup.

Regrettably, this fix no longer works. I could only access my PC with a Ubuntu-11.10 CD.

Several things changed after the last update on 30-Dec-11:

• The link to the fix resolution script was remove from /etc/X11/Xsession.d/, probably because this folder was overwritten. However, restoring the link did not remedy the situation.
    • “CRT1” is no longer recognized by xranadr. It has changed to “VGA-0”. However, fixing the resolution restoring script to address this did not remedy the situation.

Other efforts that failed:

• Changing the resolution restoring script to set a lower resolution from 1280x1024 60 to 1024x768 60 used successfully by the Ubuntu-11.10 CD.
    • Uncommenting “# GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480” and changing it to “GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024x16,800x600x24,640x480 ”.

..and, uncommenting “#GRUB_TERMINAL=console” still resulted in a black “Cannot display this video mode”.

In short, my PC is unusable until I can get the screen to work again. Worse yet, I am unable to install any updates that may have resolved the "Cannot display.." issue.
    If you hold shift at boot, does anything happen? It should bring up the bootloader, and you can boot to a root shell prompt.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The standard way is to hold down (or repeatedly tap) the Shift key while you boot. Grub should present you with a menu. Choose the second option, to go into recovery mode; then choose, Drop to root shell prompt.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can you boot to the recovery mode? If you don't have that option on your grub menu, when the menu displays (hold the SHIFT key during boot if needed):
    1. Highlight the first entry and press 'e' to edit it.
    2. Cursor to the end of the 'linux' line. Remove 'quiet splash vt.handoff=7' and add 'single'.
    3. CTRL-x to boot.

This is also supposed to work and will not take you to the recovery mode:
    Do the same thing, but replace with "--verbose single"
    Do the same thing, but replace with "text"

None of these kernel options actually use the quote symbols.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!

Never mind, previous post looks better...

Good luck!
    Last edited by spacecheck; January 4th, 2012 at 08:36 PM.

Beans

hello,

after you chose ubuntu in the grub menu and it boots hit
    ctrl + alt + f1.... is this what youre looking for?
    The Tim Taylor of Ubuntu!

Beans

Angry Re: How to boot to command line interface?

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Can you boot to the recovery mode? If you don't have that option on your grub menu, when the menu displays (hold the SHIFT key during boot if needed):
    That is the rub: I cab sit on the Shift key from when the bios screen shows, through the black screen, the purple screen with "Ubuntu" and some text messages, to the black "Cannot display.." screen.

I can edit files using the Ubuntu-11.10 CD. Is there some file that needs to be edited to enable the command line interface?

Thanks,

RF

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by burnsmicro View Post
    That is the rub: I cab sit on the Shift key from when the bios screen shows, through the black screen, the purple screen with "Ubuntu" and some text messages, to the black "Cannot display.." screen.

I can edit files using the Ubuntu-11.10 CD. Is there some file that needs to be edited to enable the command line interface?

Thanks,

RF
    Yes, you can boot the LiveCD, then mount the ubuntu partition and edit it through the mount point (use the correct XY values, such as sda1, sda5, etc):
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
    gksudo /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Normally you wouldn't edit this file, but it will work to accomplish a boot and then repair your system. Save the file, but do NOT run update-grub - just reboot.

Once you boot without the CD, the file to make the change permanent would be /etc/default/grub, on the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= line. Save the file and run "sudo update-grub".
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Yes, you can boot the LiveCD, then mount the ubuntu partition and edit it through the mount point (use the correct XY values, such as sda1, sda5, etc):
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
    gksudo /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Normally you wouldn't edit this file, but it will work to accomplish a boot and then repair your system. Save the file, but do NOT run update-grub - just reboot.

Once you boot without the CD, the file to make the change permanent would be /etc/default/grub, on the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= line. Save the file and run "sudo update-grub".
    Thank you for your advice. I am embarrassed to say it is way over my head. I come from the Windows world and, even after over a month trying to get Ubuntu 11.10 to work, I am reaching the conclusion that UBuntu 11 is not for simple folk like me.

But, before getting my Windows 7, I reinstalled Ubuntu-11.10. The good news is my display works, but other things, like Thunderbird 8 has gone back to 7 and Lightning no longer works. I also anticipate relaunching a career trying to network with WindowsPCs and a printer on one of them.

Thanks,

RF

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry to hear about your problems. There is clearly some hardware incompatibility with your computer.

Maybe when you get a new computer in a couple of years, you can try again? In the meantime, best of luck with your career relaunch.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast