Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Successfully install the svn MPlayer under Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: [Howto] Successfully install the svn mplayer + gmplayer + all the codecs.

ok what I get from cp -v $HOME/Desktop/Blue/*.* $HOME/.mplayer/skins/default
    which as I can understand it is one command (correct me if I am wrong)
    is: cp: target `/home/rosi/.mplayer/skins/default' is not a directory (where rosi is my log in name)

And so I can add a skin on the mplayer is it not that what this command does?

Beans

Hi,

Saw you in a bit of a pickle:

Quote Originally Posted by Gouz View Post
    ok what I get from cp -v $HOME/Desktop/Blue/*.* $HOME/.mplayer/skins/default
    which as I can understand it is one command (correct me if I am wrong)
    is: cp: target `/home/rosi/.mplayer/skins/default' is not a directory (where rosi is my log in name)

And so I can add a skin on the mplayer is it not that what this command does?
    That is exactly what this command does. gmplayer looks in a few places for the default skin and I selected this one for the walkthrough.

Sounds like the required directory might not be there. Try this:

Code:
    $ cd
    $ mkdir -pv .mplayer/skins/default
    $ cp -Rv /home/rosi/Desktop/Blue/* /home/rosi/.mplayer/skins/default
    And this should copy the contents of the Blue folder into the required directory.

I use $HOME rather than /home/username so people do not have to remember to substitute 'username' for their own username

Try the following and it will make sense:

Code:
    echo $HOME
    All the very best with this, if you are down to the skin you must be almost there!

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.46; September 30th, 2007 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Corrected crap cp syntax
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for the guide andrew and also to shirilover for the packaging info.

The only problem is my gmplayer wont start:
    Code:
    $ gmplayer
    MPlayer dev-SVN-r24673-4.1.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 4)
    CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
    Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
    /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf doesn't look like a bitmap font description, ignoring.
    Cannot load bitmap font: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf
    [skin] file ( /usr/share/mplayer/skins/default/skin ) not found.
    Skin not found (default).
    I've copied the skin data to the folder. Is there any other info that need to go into a config file or something?

Beans

Hi,

Sounds like you are almost there. Just 2 small steps have gone awry:

Quote Originally Posted by synd7 View Post
    Thanks for the guide andrew and also to shirilover for the packaging info.

The only problem is my gmplayer wont start:
    Code:
     [...]

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf doesn't look like a bitmap font description, ignoring.
    Cannot load bitmap font: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf
    [skin] file ( /usr/share/mplayer/skins/default/skin ) not found.
    I've copied the skin data to the folder. Is there any other info that need to go into a config file or something?
    You need to get a font configured for the On Screen Display and put the skin where gmplayer can find it. There are many ways to do this but my guide aims to make it straightfoward. Although I seem to have confused you a little

For the OSN Font

gmplayer needs to have a font specified for subtitles and the on-screen-display. There are several ways to do this, easiest way is to copy a decent font to the ~/.mplayer folder and give it a different name. Try this:

Code:
    $ mkdir -v  $HOME/.mplayer
    $ sudo apt-get install ttf-bitstream-vera
    $ sudo cp -v /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf
    This is a fairly crude way of doing it, a symlink would be better but I am trying to keep a complex subject simple. That should take care of the OSD error.

For the skin

gmplayer needs a skin to run and this does not come with the package, in fact the GUI is actually looked down at by some. The trick is to create the relevant folders and place a full skin pack in them in the right location.

So:

Code:
    $ cd $HOME
    $ mkdir -pv .mplayer/skins/default
    $ cd $HOME/Desktop
    $ wget http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/skins/Blue-1.7.tar.bz2
    $ tar xjvf Blue-1.7.tar.bz2 
    $ cp -Rv $HOME/Desktop/Blue/* $HOME/.mplayer/skins/default
    And this should complete your setup. As you explore a bit more you will see that you can have many skins and chose from them, in fact I believe that there is a skin 'browser' in gmplayer.
    All the -v settings are for 'verbose' which should tell you if something is going wrong. Post the errors if there are any and they should be fixable.

Let me know how you go?

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.46; September 30th, 2007 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Corrected crap cp syntax

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hey thanks for the info there were help full and everything worked until the command gmplayer..

Then I got the following
    CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
    Warning unknown option vo_dxr3_device at line 6
    [skin] file ( /usr/local/share/mplayer/skins/default/skin ) not found.

I know that the rest of those commands that you send me worked cause I read all the log and I found that everything was copied and the file for the skin was made. *shrugs*

Beans

Hi,

Looks like a problem that can be solved:

Hey thanks for the info there were help full and everything worked until the command gmplayer..

Then I got the following
    CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
    [skin] file ( /usr/local/share/mplayer/skins/default/skin ) not found.

I know that the rest of those commands that you send me worked cause I read all the log and I found that everything was copied and the file for the skin was made. *shrugs*
    It is my suspicion that the skin is not placed correctly. Could you post the results of the following, the first reloads you locate database and the second looks for the exact location of one of the Blue skin files:

Code:
    $ sudo updatedb
    $ locate subblue.png
    As for the error:

I presume that you have written an ~/.mplayer/config file that has an error?

Anyway please post the results of the locate command and then I suspect we can get gmplayer going.

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

rosi@rosi:~$ sudo updatedb
    Password:
    rosi@rosi:~$ locate subblue.png
    /home/rosi/.mplayer/skins/default/subblue.png
    /home/rosi/Blue/subblue.png
    /home/rosi/Desktop/Blue/subblue.png

now that i see it, I think because I have 3 they may conflict with each other. I don't know *shrugs*

for the error no, I just run gmplayer and I got the error (and all the above message)
    Last edited by Gouz; September 30th, 2007 at 12:49 PM.

Beans

Hi,

I have found the solution:

rosi@rosi:~$ sudo updatedb
    Password:
    rosi@rosi:~$ locate subblue.png
    /home/rosi/.mplayer/skins/default/subblue.png
    /home/rosi/Blue/subblue.png
    /home/rosi/Desktop/Blue/subblue.png

now that i see it, I think because I have 3 they may conflict with each other. I don't know *shrugs*

for the error no, I just run gmplayer and I got the error (and all the above message)
    The syntax that I gave before to install the skin was a little sloppy for which you have my apologies. Can I suggest that you delete the contents of your /home/rosi/.mplayer/skins/default directory but not the actual directory. And then run the following:

Code:
    $ cp -Rv $HOME/Desktop/Blue/* $HOME/.mplayer/skins/default
    And again my apologies for the sloppy syntax of the guide that has now been corrected. Hopefully you will be looking at the glorious blue mplayer skin shortly

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

how do i do that, I know just

sudo rm -i

which will delete the file that I will name after the -i

and the rm -r that will remove all the directory.

even better how can I delete everything so i can reinstall them from the start step by step.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

BTW it worked perfectly only with one video for the rest I get an error: Fail to open

ok here is what happens, if I right click on a video file and say open with mplayer it can't be open if I brows the file from right click on the skin and say open file then brows it and open it is works...

But the image is not good at all it is too bright and the subs are not that good, if I change to X11 from Xv it fixes the color of the image and the subs. few subs are misplaced and there is to big space between them and the image is small even in full screen the image is like normal size.

any ideas?
    Last edited by Gouz; September 30th, 2007 at 02:26 PM.

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast