Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension

I installed LXLE yesterday on an old Dell D610 laptop. I love it! It looks great, nice software selection; but I have one major problem. I cannot get the computer to suspend! The laptop screen stopped working a while back, and I have it hooked into the docking station and using another monitor. This has worked great until now. I just had Zorin Lite installed on this machine (based on Lubuntu) and when I would go to log out menu>suspend, it worked fine with that. But with LXLE, the monitor goes dark but the computer continues running and there's no way to get the monitor working again except by holding the power button and shutting down.
    I've configured the power manager every which way, but no sleep mode! Any ideas why?

Beans

checking now
    Last edited by ronniew; March 26th, 2013 at 12:07 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by utherpendragonfly View Post
    I installed LXLE yesterday on an old Dell D610 laptop. I love it! It looks great, nice software selection; but I have one major problem. I cannot get the computer to suspend! The laptop screen stopped working a while back, and I have it hooked into the docking station and using another monitor. This has worked great until now. I just had Zorin Lite installed on this machine (based on Lubuntu) and when I would go to log out menu>suspend, it worked fine with that. But with LXLE, the monitor goes dark but the computer continues running and there's no way to get the monitor working again except by holding the power button and shutting down.
    I've configured the power manager every which way, but no sleep mode! Any ideas why?
    I'm not sure what the error could be, will have to try and reproduce it on my side.

Beans

Installed this on two netbooks last night--very impressive! I like that it's LTS, that was one reason I moved from Lubuntu, also the only distro I've found that has all the apps I install already loaded, it made for quick install and setup. I like the changing wallpaper on boot up, very nice

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    Installed this on two netbooks last night--very impressive! I like that it's LTS, that was one reason I moved from Lubuntu, also the only distro I've found that has all the apps I install already loaded, it made for quick install and setup. I like the changing wallpaper on boot up, very nice
    Glad you like it. Make sure to read the readme to take advantage of its features. http://www.lxle.net/lxlereadme.html

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I installed LXLE a couple of days ago on an old Dell Dimension 2350 and I'm liking it. But, for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the key sequence Ctrl +Alt +F1 (or F2, F3, F4, etc.) to open a terminal session. I can get LXTerm or any of the other X terms to run, but would like to know how to get a full screen (not in X) terminal session to run. Ctrl +Alt +F1/2/3/4/5/6 just give me a blank page with a blinking cursor. Ctrl +Alt +F7 does return me to the current X session, however.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bobblex View Post
    I installed LXLE a couple of days ago on an old Dell Dimension 2350 and I'm liking it. But, for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the key sequence Ctrl +Alt +F1 (or F2, F3, F4, etc.) to open a terminal session. I can get LXTerm or any of the other X terms to run, but would like to know how to get a full screen (not in X) terminal session to run. Ctrl +Alt +F1/2/3/4/5/6 just give me a blank page with a blinking cursor. Ctrl +Alt +F7 does return me to the current X session, however.

The only way to sorta do this with LXTerminal is to assign a geometry command to the launch string. In other words say, hey do this when you open.

In LXLE I included a working OBKey editor located in Menu>preferences

Open it and find ctrl + alt + T and highlight it

replace the command string with "x-terminal-emulator --geometry=150x45" without the quotes

click save and test.

adjust the 150x45 to the numbers that suite your screen best.

also be sure to check out http://www.lxle.net/index.php?x=about and the readme found there. Explains some features and configurations.
    Last edited by ronniew; March 27th, 2013 at 02:59 AM.

Beans

Oh wow, this is fantastic, exactly what I've been looking for.

Just a query, when you say this will receive updates until the next LTS release...what do you mean exactly? Because the next Ubuntu LTS release will be in a year, or do you mean the next Lubuntu LTS?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OstensiblyFeet View Post
    Oh wow, this is fantastic, exactly what I've been looking for.

Just a query, when you say this will receive updates until the next LTS release...what do you mean exactly? Because the next Ubuntu LTS release will be in a year, or do you mean the next Lubuntu LTS?
    Glad you like it.

The system has been setup with the right repositories to keep everything up to date until the next LTS release, at which time I will begin working on a new LXLE respin, which will be released around the same time Ubuntu moves on from the new LTS.

Be sure to read the readme for configuration and features.

http://www.lxle.net/index.php?x=about

Beans
    Hidden!

I found that the pae version is working in my IBM Thinkpad T42 with a cpu without pae (at least it announces that there is no pae). Did you use something similar to 7bit's method according to this link?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2113826

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast