Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu phone OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu phone OS

What gets me is the statement that there are no "one singular system" for phones, tablets, TVs and computers. Other than the TV part, that has been an argument against Microsoft Windows 8 in that it was trying to be all things.

I hope they can bring this out in 2013. Microsoft is all screwey coming out with Windows RT Surface before the holidays and Windows 8 Surface after the holidays. Here's to hoping Canonical/Ubuntu can pull this off!

Of course, using Verizon I am not optimistic they will offer Ubuntu anytime soon. They like having too much control over everything.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Do i need an ubuntu pc? It looks like so

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Phone OS

I sure do have an old iphone I'd like to try with the new phone OS.
    ASUS U24E

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MyTinFoilHat View Post
    A few thoughts:

-Simply put, I think it looks lovely - and I love the use of the entire screen. Way to think outside the box!
    -I'd love to see this thrown into a device like the Asus Padfone. Ta-dah! it's a phone, (slide phone into tablet) it's a tablet, and (plug it into a monitor/tv) - a desktop (or tv)!
    -It's nice to see things moving into mobile, but it sucks that there's this big, hyped announcement (complete with a super exciting countdown clock) and no immediate delivery in sight. This 'announcement' seems more like an appeal to OEMs to adopt Ubuntu than it is for members of the community or new users who are sick of the whole Android/iOS/******* game and have been ready for it since the announcement of Ubuntu for Android.
    -What I really wanted to hear out of this announcement (after seeing that it was a phone) that, "Yes, you can have it right now - go here and buy it, or download it and use it on your current device." So, like some who already posted, I've got that blue balls kind of feeling going on.
    -People will only wait for so long before giving up pursuing it.
    -I hope all the lens features available in the phone have the same ability to be turned off (or have those features opt-in) for those who like to flex their right to privacy.
    It is just announced give it some time, patience is a virtue.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zflayerfx View Post
    Do i need an ubuntu pc? It looks like so
    http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The keynote looks very promising, but I can’t shake the feeling that Ubuntu is moving away from it’s Free OSS approach, towards being just yet another DRM-ladden, closed mobile ecosystem.
    I hope the upcoming information can convince me that I’m wrong.
    Last edited by moep; January 2nd, 2013 at 08:18 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moep View Post
    Am I the only one who gets a slight "Mark Shuttlejobs" vibe from the keynote?
    probably, and what does that have to do with it?

Beans

Just me or was it my unrealistic expectations followed by Mysterious and Pending Hype on Ubuntu's part?

"So a phone" Big Deal? Not in my eyes and seeing ubuntu trying to enter a super saturated and going up against entrenched major players with established high users counts and established eco-systems.

Seems a too little too late scenario to me. And immediate fail if doesn't support established eco-systems like google-play out of the box.

And again reinforces my fears of more distraction,distancing and attention away from the Ubuntu desktop users as a second thought? As fits the too many irons in the fire and not enough blacksmiths kind of thing?

Maybe unrealistic or unfounded feelings on my part at this point. But seems Ubuntu is more and more becoming less of a unique and different vision of the future and more blend/Fit in and merging with the all the others crowd. Making it just another one of the boys?

I ask as like to bounce my perceptions against what others think on the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    probably, and what does that have to do with it?
    Sorry, I just now realised that this is probably the wrong place to post such a comment in. I’m probably better off discussing this further on a neutral forum. Remark deleted.

All hail the mighty Ubuntu overlord, Ubuntu Phone has come to rule them all, and so forth.
    Last edited by moep; January 2nd, 2013 at 08:24 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    Just me or was it my unrealistic expectations followed by Mysterious and Pending Hype on Ubuntu's part?

"So a phone" Big Deal? Not in my eyes and seeing ubuntu trying to enter a super saturated and going up against entrenched major players with established high users counts and established eco-systems.

Seems a too little too late scenario to me. And immediate fail if doesn't support established eco-systems like google-play out of the box.

And again reinforces my fears of more distraction,distancing and attention away from the Ubuntu desktop users as a second thought? As fits the too many irons in the fire and not enough blacksmiths kind of thing?

Maybe unrealistic or unfounded feelings on my part at this point. But seems Ubuntu is more and more becoming less of a unique and different vision of the future and more blend/Fit in and merging with the all the others crowd. Making it just another one of the boys?

I ask as like to bounce my perceptions against what others think on the issue.
    So no one should try something new then. We should just use one or two products,

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast