Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steam-Powered Mini-PC (CES Preview)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Steam-Powered Mini-PC (CES Preview)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    I guess this "Piston" isnt actually the "Steam Box Console" we have heard about; i know i have called it that, was wrong.
    I actually have inside information from a guy who is at CES right now, he interviewed them and they stated off camera that the Piston IS the steam box. He could have purchased one for $299 but it's only available to CES attendees.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    I actually have inside information from a guy who is at CES right now, he interviewed them and they stated off camera that the Piston IS the steam box. He could have purchased one for $299 but it's only available to CES attendees.
    Wow, I had no idea that they were this far along.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Unhappy Re: Steam-Powered Mini-PC (CES Preview)

Now, the question is: am I gonna buy the Ouya, or the Steam box, or (gulp) both?

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Im confused about what the fellow at the Xi3 booth said about the box, run windows, linux, unix.

This means that you will have a choice what it would run?? Maybe the steam specific one is based on this mini-computer, and they choose linux...

I heard it from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG6kHr0vF4A
    Last edited by Jakin; January 12th, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by holastickboy View Post
    The day of the consoles is coming to a close. Consoles are not only under threat by new media PCs, but also smaller devices such as iPods, tablets, and the new wave of cheap android consoles that are on their way. Console sales are already seeing a decline, and the fact that they are making steps in the next generation to limit second hand trading of games, means gamers are going to have to search for cheaper methods of getting games. Steam, while it does have it's flaws, sells games for pennies sometimes... consoles still have base licensing fees that would make competing head on with Steam redundant.

Check out the new Nvidia shield (its a tablet/controller device that allows for your computer to stream in real time to the device. Set to work with steam, and be cheap):
    http://techland.time.com/2013/01/07/...s-up-ces-2013/

More articles about consoles under threat:
    http://id10-t.com/gaming/ouya-booyah...d-of-60-games/

There are plenty of other articles spouting the same thing at the moment. I suppose if the console makers make some changes, then everything could co-exist. Just ask Kodak though, just because you got to the game first doesn't mean you're going to win (especially if you don't latch on to the new trends... such as Kodak didn't do with digital cameras).
    What so consoles are dying because of android gaming....? Really are you serious. Angry birds kills the masses playing FIFA 13 or whatever they play now? No way.

Consoles are no longer just for playing games they are complete media centres. Games are only a small part of it! Skype, Netflix, Skyplayer all these things make it a perfect media device for your living room. Sorry but I think you are far off on this one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

SteamBox is actually an OEM thing then, is it?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    Now, the question is: am I gonna buy the Ouya, or the Steam box, or (gulp) both?
    Patiently waiting for March and my Ouya... I already have Steam on my PC so not so worried about the Steambox at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Patiently waiting for March and my Ouya... I already have Steam on my PC so not so worried about the Steambox at the moment.

Yeah, I have a rig just for gaming, nothing else.. it is a tempting thought though!
    That's the kind of society I want to build. I want a guarantee -- with physics and mathematics, not with laws -- that we can give ourselves real privacy of personal communications. - John Gilmore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12