Page 353 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355363403453853 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,530 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by nerd0795 View Post
    I'm not going to ever completely switch to linux. I love ubuntu. But the fact is I can't do everything I want with it.

Such as... Video editing, gaming, learning about ccomputer repair.

Please don't bash me about this but I am a big fan of Windows. I was very happy with Windows (after the first day... I was an early adopter and the driver I had for my computer didn't work until window's update fixed it.) I find Windows Vista is a good os.

I use linux for learning programming, messing around, fooling around, having fun , making documents, editing photos, youtube, and more.
    that wasnt the question. it was: How many of you completely switched to Linux? if you still use windows, no explanation needed. we have enough windows lovers here. please stay on topic. yes or no will do.

Beans

ill be completey switching to Linux Tomorrow Maybe..
    Main OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Laptop: Linux Mint (Cinnamon)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by robotman5 View Post
    ill be completey switching to Linux Tomorrow Maybe..
    grow a pair.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I've been Windows-free for about a year now. I decided that I wasn't really into gaming, so when my expensive computer broke down, I just decided that I didn't need to spend a lot of money to get it repaired yet again. That's the trouble with an expensive computer. When it breaks down, you pretty much HAVE to spend more money on it!

So I bought a couple of old Pentium III boxes, one for sixty dollars, one for 70 dollars, at Babbage's basement in Ithaca, NY. One of them is still going strong a year later. The other one no longer supports an IDE harddrive, but I can run it with a LIVE CD and a flash drive (TRY RUNNING VISTA WITHOUT A HARDDRIVE, KIDS!)

Beans

I've been fully on Linux for a while. I came up through the 80s and 90s on VAX mainframes, so I was always comfortable on the command line. When I got out of graduate school I had Windows set upon me for my job because of a few specific Windows-only applications. I didn't get a PC for the home until around 2000 and I ran dual-boot for a long time at home and at work. I finally got off my butt about two years ago and got VMWare Workstation for Linux when I upgraded my work computer. I went to 64-bit Linux, installed Workstation, and virtualized my work Win2k machine so now I only have to run Linux (I've bounced through a few distros (Red Hat 5 through Fedora 1, and Gentoo) but I am now quite happy with Ubuntu).

I said all that, but because my home PC is down I am typing this on my wife's old laptop which is, alas, a WinXP machine. Since she telecommutes she wants the laptop intact in case she needs to fall back to it in an emergency, so that ruins my plan to do the same thing I did with my work computer. However, I do plan on installing Linux in a virtual machine on the WinXP computer (when I get around to getting off my butt again).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I moved to Ubuntu about 2 weeks ago!.. love it!

At work I heavily use Windows platforms with some RH and Solaris thrown in. I thought I'd see (as an experiment) if I could still do most of my work on Ubuntu for the past couple of weeks - and bugger me - no major worries!.

I do a lot of Windows based development and found I could use mono to develop most console apps even in Linux and then get them to work with very little effort on Windows (GUIs and apps that are heavily dependent on COM libraries are a different story of course).

I also found great free equivalents to the technical applications I use everyday... UML editors, diagramming, mind mapping, GIS software, Oracle DB... a lot of my simulation and modeling software was also pretty easy to port.

The thing that got me thinking about finally making my main laptop Ubuntu was Vista... grrrr (: ... I don't intentionally want to encourage any Vista bashing here but to keep to the topic I find Vista unsuitable for technical computing. Despite my company's global move to Vista for everyday users our technical computing is still done on a combination of Sloaris, Linux and XP64 platforms.

So to answer the question... yes I still use Windows (I have to)... but I'm finding Linux (and Ubuntu specifically) becoming increasingly more appropriate for my technical user base. I can't do everything I need to yet in Linux but thats more to do with legacy support and dependencies on Windows-based technologies.

- Over.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Now that Guild Wars went Platinum on WineHQ, I reinstalled about two weeks ago and have not plugged in my hdd with Vista on it. After a few more months I will activate my Vista hdd, save all my files to a DvD, and wipe it out to use for mass storage.

God I love saying "I can no longer find a reason to keep using *******!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Lake View Post
    I moved to Ubuntu about 2 weeks ago!.. love it!

At work I heavily use Windows platforms with some RH and Solaris thrown in. I thought I'd see (as an experiment) if I could still do most of my work on Ubuntu for the past couple of weeks - and bugger me - no major worries!.

I do a lot of Windows based development and found I could use mono to develop most console apps even in Linux and then get them to work with very little effort on Windows (GUIs and apps that are heavily dependent on COM libraries are a different story of course).

I also found great free equivalents to the technical applications I use everyday... UML editors, diagramming, mind mapping, GIS software, Oracle DB... a lot of my simulation and modeling software was also pretty easy to port.

The thing that got me thinking about finally making my main laptop Ubuntu was Vista... grrrr (: ... I don't intentionally want to encourage any Vista bashing here but to keep to the topic I find Vista unsuitable for technical computing. Despite my company's global move to Vista for everyday users our technical computing is still done on a combination of Sloaris, Linux and XP64 platforms.

So to answer the question... yes I still use Windows (I have to)... but I'm finding Linux (and Ubuntu specifically) becoming increasingly more appropriate for my technical user base. I can't do everything I need to yet in Linux but thats more to do with legacy support and dependencies on Windows-based technologies.

- Over.
    Curious about the UML editors and diagramming software that you're using - that's one of my biggest 'misses' from Windows. I used Enterprise Architect for a number of years and haven't found anything suitable yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

had windows sitting untouched on a different partition for a year. accidentally formatted that partition while re-installing ubuntu a couple of months ago. never bothered to re-install windows, no reason to do it.

Beans

I got away from windows awhile back now. my desktop only has linux on it. the one thing ive found to be true is that no matter what I use ive had to go through a learning curve. Is it better? well i cant really say. But the fact that theres no cost to have it installed makes me feel better. Having come across old pc's and laptops without op sys in them and wanting to make them useful once more, Linux just shines.
    Stealing has always been something i don't like. so the cost of windows made it imposable to bring these back on line. now theres a few old pc's in the hands of people who otherwise would be without.

im by no means a linux guru and use this and other forums alot. theres so much to learn but i do manage to find out the things i need to know to get me by.
    Its just to bad that linux seems to have the rep of geeks only hooked to it, Ubuntu as well as many other distro's ive found are pretty easy to setup and use. and a little research before one buys hardware makes compatibility issues, non issues
    As far as some of the post ive read on this topic just give it time, i dont think linux will take a back seat.
    the fact that its open and free the staff to improve is just a bit bigger then any corp out there.

and thats all i have to say on this
    Running intel core 2 duo 2.66....Gigabyte P35C- DS3R MOBO
    4 GB RAM and a BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS PCIe video card
    Maverick Meerkat 10.10 and Windows XP

Page 353 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355363403453853 ... LastLast