Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unity side bar

Beans

Unity side bar

So I know this has been touched on quite a bit see link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1976480&page=1 .

However most of that thread which is now closed seemed to me at least the fanbois going to bat for unity (i.e. responses like thats how they wanted it, learn to code and change it yourself, ect). My question is since that thread is a few months old has there been a change to where I can move the side bar on the left. The reason I cannot stand it is I'm working on a 13" screen (latitude D410) laptop and the fact that every time I open a webpage Unity is forcing me to have to keep scrolling left to right because the page isn't wide enough to display everything. Height really isn't an issue. any chance of a real fix to this would be awesome otherwise i'll be looking at other distros as I can't in good faith use a linux distro that has limitations on custimization (and I'm a newbie). I left Windows because of this and Mac for this simple reason (also wanted to learn linux). To my understanding linux was created to be just that open source and to be able to be custmized. Just because a dev is too stubborn, lazy, or busy (I really could care less for the reasoning) kind of rubs me the wrong way. If this were windows or god forbid steve jobs (your holding the phone wrong type comment) then Im obviously in the wrong place.

just my 2 cents / question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity side bar driving me insane

Quote Originally Posted by trinitynzxt View Post
    To my understanding linux was created to be just that open source and to be able to be custmized.
    The History of Linux began in 1991 with the commencement of a personal project by a Finnish student, Linus Torvalds, to create a new free operating system kernel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Linux

Just because a dev is too stubborn, lazy, or busy (I really could care less for the reasoning) kind of rubs me the wrong way.
    The fact that linux can be customised is not a demand that every developer create every option for everyone. Yes, it's open source, and yes if you're interested you can code yourself the ability to place the launcher anywhere you want, however the ability to do it, isn't an open invitation to demand that it is done.

My little internet usage meter is open source, but if someone demanded the usage meter said 'hello to all my friends" and then had a giant ascii of chewbaca every time someone ran the program, I would not be willing to code that because it's not what I want the program to do, that doens't mean they can't go in and code it themselves, but just as you have your right to code that, I have my right to not.

As you said, you believe that linux is about customisation and you don't feel you have the ability to customise with Unity, that's fine, that's why Canonical also has Kubuntu which uses KDE, Xubuntu, which uses XFCE and Lubuntu which uses LXDE, there's also various other flavours and you're free to install any desktop environment that is in ubuntu's repositories.

There's a full list here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/65083...-are-available

Feel free to change desktop environment, nobody will hold it against you

I'm working on a 13" screen (latitude D410) laptop and the fact that every time I open a webpage Unity is forcing me to have to keep scrolling left to right because the page isn't wide enough to display everything.
    I use an 11" HP DM1 netbook and have no issues with any web pages, in fact one of the reasons it was put on the left was because webpages are typically longer than they are wider.
    Last edited by ikt; March 6th, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
    // Blog

Beans

Just right click on the desktop select the option to change the background. Then on the window that opens click on "behaviour" and select the auto-hide option. That should give you more screen real estate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Launcher on the left is the only official option. If you don't want to keep dragging the mouse over you could always use the keyboard to launch your apps, or drop some launchers on the desktop.

Launcher on the left is just a Unity thing. If you really don't like it you could try Gnome Shell, KDE, XFCE or LXDE. No need to hop distros just for a DE change, although you might find some DEs like KDE are better implemented on another distro anyway.

By all means hop distro if you want though, there's no need to stay on Ubuntu if you don't like it out of some kind of sense of loyalty.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Launcher on the left is the only official option. If you don't want to keep dragging the mouse over you could always use the keyboard to launch your apps, or drop some launchers on the desktop.

Launcher on the left is just a Unity thing. If you really don't like it you could try Gnome Shell, KDE, XFCE or LXDE. No need to hop distros just for a DE change, although you might find some DEs like KDE are better implemented on another distro anyway.

By all means hop distro if you want though, there's no need to stay on Ubuntu if you don't like it out of some kind of sense of loyalty.
    Gnome Shell would replace the side bar? If so what other features would I gain / lose from this option.

Beans

PS Please don't use the word fanboi. Fanboy [sic] in its original conception was used to describe the way users of Apple products demosntrated similar behaviour to that of sports fans who root for their team and buy all the gear etc. Merely defending a desktop environment doesn't count. However, given that Ubuntu does have a strong brand identity and a range of products, I guess it is possible to be an Ubuntu fanboy.

I appreciate you want to customise the desktop to how you work - and you have no less than Linus Torvalds on your side in this respect. However, given the range of distributions available in Linux userland and given the fact that many of these are based on Ubuntu or based on Debian, which Ubuntu is based on, you should be able to find a distribution that meets your needs both in terms of packages available and desktop environment. Try Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, PinguyOS, Elementary OS, Ubuntu Gnome Remix, CrunchBang etc. for example.

Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    Just right click on the desktop select the option to change the background. Then on the window that opens click on "behaviour" and select the auto-hide option. That should give you more screen real estate.
    What she said, and install UbuntuTweak, and you can fiddle around even more without learning anything...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    PS Please don't use the word fanboi. Fanboy [sic] in its original conception was used to describe the way users of Apple products demosntrated similar behaviour to that of sports fans who root for their team and buy all the gear etc. Merely defending a desktop environment doesn't count. However, given that Ubuntu does have a strong brand identity and a range of products, I guess it is possible to be an Ubuntu fanboy.

I appreciate you want to customise the desktop to how you work - and you have no less than Linus Torvalds on your side in this respect. However, given the range of distributions available in Linux userland and given the fact that many of these are based on Ubuntu or based on Debian, which Ubuntu is based on, you should be able to find a distribution that meets your needs both in terms of packages available and desktop environment. Try Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, PinguyOS, Elementary OS, Ubuntu Gnome Remix, CrunchBang etc. for example.

Good luck.
    Oh, hell ya.

I forgot to even recommend that the OP find a DE that suits him. In that respect, I recommend Cinnamon.

Also, in my experience as a fulltime *nix user since '06, most true Ubuntu fans are of the "use what works for you" persuasion...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unity side bar

Just because a dev is too stubborn, lazy, or busy (I really could care less for the reasoning) kind of rubs me the wrong way.
    How about "We don't want everyone to put the bar on the bottom and have people think we're copying Mac OS X"?

Or, a little less nicely, it's THEIR project and THEIR program. They can implement the features they want, and you're free to fork it to add the features you want that they won't add. If you feel entitled to have the software customized for you by its developers for free, then you don't understand the spirit of ubuntu in its African sense.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Re: Unity side bar

Install a different desktop environment or go to another distro. Unity is not designed with linux master coders in mind, it's meant to be a user-friendly UI for the people that just want to get on the internet, check their e-mail, and listen to music. It's a little annoying but not really a big deal when there's 20+ other desktop environments out there to use.
    Last edited by Hastings101; March 6th, 2013 at 04:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast