Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Indicator Applet Issues in 10.04 Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Indicator Applet Issues in 10.04 Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by Elzigzag View Post
    What if I'm ok with the envelope thing, the battery indicator AND audio indicator BUT the network/connection indicator is rather odd. When I tried Live CD the network indicator was modern, good taste (you know, the waves going upwards). But when I finished installing I was appalled to see this old-fashioned icon (two monitors, one behind the other as in Windows, remember?). Don't know what the... went wrong. Can anybody help me? Is there any possibility to re-install just the Indicator Applet?
    Yeah, you can even make a whole new 'panel.' Right click on an empty spot on your existing panel and choose 'Add to panel...' or 'New Panel' to make a new panel. The main applets I've had to delete and re-add during the course of things were:
    Indicator Applet
    Indicator Session Applet
    Notifcation Area

I've attached screenshots of the 'Add to panel...' screens, just because the 'shutter' app is cool, and it makes nice arrows so well.

You might also want to make sure you are using the same theme that the live CD was running -- if you right click on your desktop, and choose 'Change Background', it will take you to Appearance Preferences, where you can also change the theme.
    Live CD was running either Ambiance or Radiance, I believe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by CptPicard View Post
    And on my new Lucid installation there even isn't a battery state indicator on the indicator applet... I guess I'll be back to KDE pretty soon... but any ideas how to actually configure the indicators on the indicator applet?
    Quote Originally Posted by teachop View Post
    It is possible to get a functioning volume control restored, but the tooltip battery status for what I can tell is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxturtle View Post
    Ooh, thanks dl7und, that's excellent, and got rid of the annoying/redundant/useless envelope icon. This whole new indicator scheme is really irritating. I really miss being able to get power and volume status by simply hovering over the icon.
    I too was annoyed at this... so wrote a new battery applet. There goes a week of my life lol, not a complete loss though, learnt a new language

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

obscenic and dl7und: thanks for the tips! I'm finally rid of that stupid envelope.

By the way, dl7und, if you follow the link and follow the instructions there, it also dumped thunderbird on my system. I don't know if that's something peculiar to my setup, or that's just the way it "works." I was so desperate to get rid of the envelope (I hate useless stuff clogging up my desktop ) I hit the "yes" anyway. After reinstalling tbird, everything seems okay, so no harm done, but it's mega-annoying to find yourself uninstalling a critical program!

Who comes up with some of these loony "dependencies," anyway? Like the day I was trying to get rid of Evolution, hit "yes" and found out I'd uninstalled Ubuntu-desktop....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

obscenic, dl7und & perky: thanks from me too.

Quote Originally Posted by quixote View Post
    By the way, dl7und, if you follow the link and follow the instructions there, it also dumped thunderbird on my system
    It wanted to delete thunderbird, a number of libs and a few other things on my system, which I didn't fancy: Thunderbird is my primary email program.

So instead I went to synaptic, searched for indicator-messages and removed that only, which worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by vevel View Post
    Yeah, you can even make a whole new 'panel.' Right click on an empty spot on your existing panel and choose 'Add to panel...' or 'New Panel' to make a new panel. The main applets I've had to delete and re-add during the course of things were:
    Indicator Applet
    Indicator Session Applet
    Notifcation Area

I've attached screenshots of the 'Add to panel...' screens, just because the 'shutter' app is cool, and it makes nice arrows so well.

You might also want to make sure you are using the same theme that the live CD was running -- if you right click on your desktop, and choose 'Change Background', it will take you to Appearance Preferences, where you can also change the theme.
    Live CD was running either Ambiance or Radiance, I believe.
    Vevel, thank you so much. That was really fun. I followed your guide and get just what I wanted and some new ideas popped up (ready to be tried).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Elzigzag
    Argento de San Luis.

Beans

To any dev without head lost up proverbial ***:

I logged in specifically to echo what a horrendously horrible idea and implementation the indicator-* crap is. Users are not idiots. Treating them as such, like not allowing me to even MOVE items is idiotic at best. Whoever implemented this doesn't deserve a kudos, but a big FU for creating useless garbage. Any fool can add and remove applets. In fact, it's a very cool system. Screwing it up is just absurd.

And for the last time Evolution is a crap application. There are several better mail applications. Quit trying to cram that **** down our throats. A little variety is good. Provide it as an option, not as the only option without wasting my time removing all that crap.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by wendall911 View Post
    To any dev without head lost up proverbial ***...
    Nice rant! I agree on all points.

Lucid has been a big letdown because of this kind of crap that was foisted on us long-time, long-suffering users. What were they thinking?

Oh!

They obviously weren't!

In any case, there is a way to configure the indicator applet. I had removed the stoopid envelope (I use Thunderbird, not Devolution), but in doing so, removed the whole indicator applet from my panel.

This post clued me in on how to add back the indicator applet with only the audio/battery indicators showing:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...16&postcount=2

Hope this helps a bit.

Beans
    Distro

I have been so annoyed with the indicator applet that I downgraded to Karmic after a month of putting up with it.

I couldn't stand having to go through 2 submenus to get to show incoming message. When I receive a message in empathy/pidgin I want it to show when I left click in the tray, not having to do 3 clicks.

Same thing when I want to show rythmbox, what's the point of poping a menu when you leftclick and having to go click "show rhythmbox"? Rightclicks are normally used for menus, leftclicks for instant action.

Besides, I want information to appear when I hover the cursor on the app icon.

If they wanted to standardise the use of the system tray or however they call it, they could have done it without forcing a new design. I don't care that application icons in the tray behave differently, they're different applications with different functions, they should behave the way they are most useful and efficient, now the way the OS developers think it should be.

How could they think that having to click around 3 times as much is better interface design? Because now the icons' looks fit better together? I prefer usability over appearence. If this is the direction Ubuntu is taking now, maybe it is not for me anymore...
    DELL XPS M1330 Core2
    Ubuntu 12.04 64

Beans

I found this thread in a google search for a related "feature", and it reminded me how much I also love the new "theme" of ubuntu. Shamefully, I also tried to remove the envelope and x bubble icons from my panel, and fortunately ubuntu guided me to the repentance of my sins with the fitting punishment that I deserved. How dare I attempt to use my computer without social networking; that's blasphemy! (Never mind that I went through a period of two weeks thinking that I might actually have to fire up the Windows partition in order to configure my wireless to work.) And what kind of a crazy world have I imagined in which an envelope and a battery are separate items? Tremendous gratitude to the developers for ignoring the misguided pleas of the wicked testers who sought to alienate the poor defenseless applets from each other. Thank you for reminding me that I should never have a battery without an envelope; sometimes we, as humans, just tend to forget these fundamental truths. I have a dream that one day all applets will live together in harmony, that no applet will ever have to live in fear of dying alone. Maybe, instead of calling them applets, we should call them musketeers. All for one and one for all!

EDIT: No, seriously, ubuntu is free (of charge, at least). I have no right to complain, and I will ultimately be forever grateful that it freed me from the Windows beast. It just becomes increasingly challenging to reconcile what I have understood to be the mission of ubuntu with what each release of ubuntu actually "adds" to the distro.
    Last edited by MichaelBurns; May 18th, 2011 at 04:03 PM.
    Why is there something rather than nothing?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBurns View Post
    ...And what kind of a crazy world have I imagined in which an envelope and a battery are separate items? Tremendous gratitude to the developers for ignoring the misguided pleas of the wicked testers who sought to alienate the poor defenseless applets from each other. Thank you for reminding me that I should never have a battery without an envelope; sometimes we, as humans, just tend to forget these fundamental truths. I have a dream that one day all applets will live together in harmony....
    Ha ha ha, you put a smile on my face this morning! I love those moments when one falls into despair (for some Ubuntu-tweaking related issue) and then the Muses come and inspire those poetic lines. It has happened to me too
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Elzigzag
    Argento de San Luis.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123