Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATI Mobility Radeon x1300 does not work with 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ATI Mobility Radeon x1300 does not work with 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by boombox1387 View Post
    Definitely sounds like the same issue I had with Kernel Mode Setting. I can't find the forum post that told me how to fix it, but here's the official Ubuntu documentation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting

Near the top of the page, follow the directions for turning KMS off for ATI Radeon. To save you a click, it looks like the command should be:
    Code:
    echo options radeon modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf
    You'll probably need to use sudo to have permissions to do this. If you have any questions or run into any problems, definitely ask (though I don't know that I have many more answers, hopefully someone will). Disabling KMS will probably make the Ubuntu boot screen really ugly, but at least you'll be able to use Compiz.
    Thanks Boom Box.

I keep getting permission denied, even with sudo.

Also, after the last update I'm noticing tearing in the image when playing videos. This only occurs with my ATI Card (by the way, when using it I disable the on-board video memory and make sure the aperture size is down to 4 MB)
    When switching to the on-board memory the tearing does not occur. So for now I'll stick with the integrated video memory and wait for Ubuntu 10.10. Hopefully by then this video card mess will be sorted out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, it's really ATI fault for dropping support (in their proprietary driver) for still very new hardware, dropping everything but their Radeon HD products. The open source driver isn't perfect but you at least get 2D and 3D acceleration (eve nif compositing is at times glitchy).

Soon, we'll have the gallium3D ATI opensource driver. Essentially, the video stack is undergoing what happen with the audio stack 1-2 years ago with pulseaudio / audio framework changes.

Power handling is something that isn't talked about much but I really home they sort this out in the open source drivers as well, as I'm sure there are a but of lucid users on laptops that are burning through batteries like no tomorrow using nouveau and the ati open source drivers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Confused Computer User View Post
    I keep getting permission denied, even with sudo.
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf
    Copy/paste:
    Code:
    options radeon modeset=0
    Save. Quit. Restart.

Power handling is something that isn't talked about much but I really home they sort this out in the open source drivers as well.
    It's getting there: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ux_dynpm&num=1

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf
    Copy/paste:
    Code:
    options radeon modeset=0
    Save. Quit. Restart.

It's getting there: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ux_dynpm&num=1
    Thank you Temüjin. I'll try this as soon as I get home and post back with reults

EDIT.
    It Worked. Thank you so much. This is by far the simples solution out there and the only that worked in my case

Thank you again.
    Last edited by Confused Computer User; June 17th, 2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Added new information

Beans

Hi all,

I have a similar problem with an X1300 Pro (RV516 - X1300/X1550 series).

Since there is no proprietary driver support for the new Xorg (7.6) in the ATI legacy drivers I am using the open source drivers. 3D acceleration with the open source drivers only partially works (e.g. the game "glest" runs but "glest advanced engine"" won't or IF games in WINE run, they do it VERY slowly-unusable) and I even can't use compiz no matter what I try.

And "yes" I have tried disabling kms with radeon modeset=0 but when I do so it doesn't get me anywhere..

Does anyone has a clue on how to fix it??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sagi456 View Post
    H3D acceleration with the open source drivers only partially works (e.g. the game "glest" runs but "glest advanced engine"" won't or IF games in WINE run, they do it VERY slowly-unusable)
    You can try the latest open-source driver using: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
    This should make 3D a bit faster, but don't expect miracles.

I even can't use compiz no matter what I try.
    I used to have an X1300 and it ran compiz just fine using open-source drivers. You might try running the compiz-check script to see what's wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    You can try the latest open-source driver using: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
    This should make 3D a bit faster, but don't expect miracles.

I used to have an X1300 and it ran compiz just fine using open-source drivers. You might try running the compiz-check script to see what's wrong.
    Sorry but I'm a real noob concerning linux. Could you please be more specific? How do I run the compiz-check script?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12