Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ath9k debs for Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking ath9k debs for Hardy

Ubuntuforums user, volanin, has kindly backported the wireless-testing portion of the kernel and bundled it with the new ath9k driver for Atheros cards in a deb and posted it in the Apple Users forum. Now hardy users with 802.11n Atheros cards should be able to enjoy a completely free driver! Here is the relevant post. Enjoy

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...69&postcount=5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Re: ath9k debs for Hardy

madwifi achieves this as well.

Beans

This is odd that you guys are saying it's wireless N ... I compiled a brand new kernel with ath9k built in the kernel, and it only got me 1mbps with wireless G ... this is depressing. The kernel worked wonderfully, but the problem is that the speeds only got me 27kbps VS. my usual 550kbps and 6mbps through my LAN.

Perhaps I simply failed, but I was excited to try this driver. Perhaps I'll try that deb ...

If any of you are interested, it's a 2.6.27-rc2 AMD64 kernel. I have the debs handy if anyone is interested.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TDragon View Post
    madwifi achieves this as well.
    This IS madwifi... at least what will replace madwifi...

madwifi has not supported the Atheros cards in the Intel Macs for a long time (had to compile code from svn).
    Quote Originally Posted by http://madwifi.org/wiki/Releases/0.9.4
    This also means that v0.9.4 still has no support for AR5007 (EeePC) and AR5008 (MacBook) chipsets. An experimental patch that adds AR5007 support at least for i386 (32bit) is attached to ticket #1679, while legacy AR5008 support for all platforms that MadWifi runs on is available in trunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by NullHead View Post
    This is odd that you guys are saying it's wireless N ... I compiled a brand new kernel with ath9k built in the kernel, and it only got me 1mbps with wireless G ... this is depressing. The kernel worked wonderfully, but the problem is that the speeds only got me 27kbps VS. my usual 550kbps and 6mbps through my LAN.

Perhaps I simply failed, but I was excited to try this driver. Perhaps I'll try that deb ...

If any of you are interested, it's a 2.6.27-rc2 AMD64 kernel. I have the debs handy if anyone is interested.
    It supported Atheros' n-series cards. ath9k 'will' support 802.11n eventually if it doesn't already. the 1mbps reported connection is a known bug (and is not your real connection speed), although it doesn't sound like you have slow throughput for some reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Is this thread Mac specific?
    Ktechman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hmm, I wish I had found this forum sooner. Anyway, my HP dv5z has an Atheros AR5009 a/b/g/n wifi card which apparently uses an AR9280 chipset, and I found the ath9k source and compiled it myself. I installed Ubuntu 8.04LTS then compiled a 2.6.26.3 kernel, then grabbed the compat tarball from here
    http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download

Then I used git to retrieve the wireless-testing tree and get the ath9k source, since it's not currently included in the compat source. After copying the ath9k source into the compat tree, a few files failed to compile because they were using some functions that were newly added to the 2.7 <linux/list.h> header. I copied the missing functions into my 2.6 <linux/list.h> and now I have a working driver. I haven't had any problems with it at all, in 802.11g mode with a Linksys WRT. I don't actually have any 802.11n gear yet, so no idea how well that works.
    Last edited by highlandsun; August 23rd, 2008 at 08:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

If you're running a 2.6.27 kernel (which is included in ubuntu 8.10) then the ath9k driver is already present, so none of this work is needed. I posted my patches for ath9k support to the linux-wireless mailing list http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m...0907531656&w=2 and they've already been integrated into the compat package.

So now all you have to do is follow the instructions on this page http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download and use the compat-wireless-2.6-old tarball.

Beans

I can't wait for the next alpha of ubuntu to release

I really wana test this out. I've never had out of the box wifi support before
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

NullHead,

Just installed alpha 4 and could not get wireless working "out of the box". I also applied several updates but it did not help. It did however "see" my wireless network but it failed to connect. Back to Hardy.
    Ktechman

Beans
    Distro

alpha4 also ships with a new NetworkManager 0.7, which also has quite a few bugs. I posted a fix for my connection issues here http://mail.gnome.org/archives/netwo.../msg00224.html but you may be seeing others. Regardless, the ath9k driver connects fine for me on 802.11g; if your kernel didn't have multiqueue support configured in it may not work on 802.11n.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast