Thread: Cheap Ubuntu Laptop Suggestions

Beans

Cheap Ubuntu Laptop Suggestions

Hi all,

I would like to get a secondary laptop to run Ubuntu and wanted to see if there were any suggestions for cheap(ish) laptops. I noticed at Newegg you can get a Lenovo T61 for relatively cheap but it is not listed under the Ubuntu certified list. Any experience with similar price ranges or good suggestions? Anyone using a T61 with success?

Thanks,

Beans

Re: Cheap Ubuntu Laptop Suggestions

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Beans

Either new or used, I just know thinkpads have readily available parts and good build quality.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    This thread is amazing, any thoughts on the T400? Ebay has one for $200, not a bad deal.

Beans

The T400 would be a great option given it's durability and reliability, would be able to run 64 bit without flinching. Lenovo's more recent laptops have defiantly been more durable than Toshiba or HP nowadays so; 200 bucks to run the best Os in the world? totally worth it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just got an HP Probook 6455b for $189 (Buy-it-Now) and free shipping at eBay. The 6455b is on the HCL but it's hard to tell if you're getting the exact configuration specified there. It took a few tries at the installation to get it to work but it runs really well now with Ubuntu 12.04. It has an AMD 64-bit dual-core processor and 4GB of memory. They probably still have more of them there.
    Last edited by bruce-hyatt; May 9th, 2014 at 08:49 PM.