Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Keep in mind that any list of games at this point is:

1. Likely to be inaccurate or incomplete.
    2. Only a first round.

Provided that the beta goes well, we are likely to see MANY other games.

I can't help but notice that there are a few games in that list that use game engines found in multiple games. For instance, once L4D2 is working, portal, portal 2 and quite a few other games could be ported with comparatively little work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Seems pretty outdated to me. I was expecting Call of duty and alike. I think linuxgamepublishing is a nice example that porting old games simply doesn't sell well.

Secondly they should not only support Ubuntu but LSB 4 alike Google Earth. http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

There's also a interesting article here:
    http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...21008#upcoming

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb View Post
    Keep in mind that any list of games at this point is:

1. Likely to be inaccurate or incomplete.
    2. Only a first round.

Provided that the beta goes well, we are likely to see MANY other games.

I can't help but notice that there are a few games in that list that use game engines found in multiple games. For instance, once L4D2 is working, portal, portal 2 and quite a few other games could be ported with comparatively little work.
    Hi VeeDubb, so I guess and Dota2 can be ported with little work, since it's on source engine!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dak0 View Post
    Hi VeeDubb, so I guess and Dota2 can be ported with little work, since it's on source engine!
    I'm not actually familiar with that particular game, but yet. If two games use the same game engine, porting the 2nd game is always much easier.

Technically, the same is true for any 2 programs that share a significant portion of their code; games just happen to be one of the best examples. Under the hood of most major games, you have the engine that controls the world of the game, and then the resource files for the content. The physics, various game mechanics, etc, are all part of the engine. Once that's ported, the resource files often don't need any adjustment at all.

Granted, they have to write a new installer, and for games with a significant online presence they may have a few things to re-tool outside of the engine, but the engine is where the real work of porting happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

edited
    Last edited by mentorious; October 15th, 2012 at 10:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

No, they said the internal beta test was starting in the beginning of October.

And if that went well, they would add external beta testers, hopefully sometime in October. And the number of external testers who will get added will be 1000. So there will be some that don't make it the first round.

For all we know, the external beta have already begun. Maybe it's only the ones that get picked for the beta that will get the information.
    I don't know. I have not signed up for beta testing. I will wait till the final release is released (hopefully at the end of the year).
    Last edited by pompel9; October 12th, 2012 at 11:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro

One of the things I'm most interested to see is where steam for linux will install games. If it installs to ~, my current setup for drives and partitions will work perfectly, but if it installs to /opt or somewhere else that is currently on my / partition, I'll have to seriously rethink my entire system structure.

On the other hand, if it installs to /opt, the games might end up being accessible to multiple users, which would also be cool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb View Post
    One of the things I'm most interested to see is where steam for linux will install games. If it installs to ~, my current setup for drives and partitions will work perfectly, but if it installs to /opt or somewhere else that is currently on my / partition, I'll have to seriously rethink my entire system structure.

On the other hand, if it installs to /opt, the games might end up being accessible to multiple users, which would also be cool.
    Just make a symlink to the partition you want.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Just make a symlink to the partition you want.
    That's 'okay' in a lot of instances, but when you've got /home on a raid array and everything else on a very small separate drive it's a little awkward. I'd either have to make a non-user folder under /home/ to link to, which is sloppy, or re-partition my raid array.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For more regular updates i've been going to @ValveLinux

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast