Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's going on with Wine?

Beans

What's going on with Wine?

Hello,

I use to be able to open Dark Crusade up fine with wine, now I can't. Instead of playing the video now, it shows "Divx" logo. Then the next thing I see after the loading screen is a "light blue" screen of death, can anyone help me fix that?

-Arukas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: What's going on with Wine?

I'm afraid that's normal with wine. Some thing works in one version but breaks in another, but then something new works.

Don't upgrade wine if the version you have works for the stuff you have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can downgrade to previous version by doing the following:
    1. Uninstall Wine like this:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get remove --purge wine
    2. Download a .deb of the previous version of Wine from here: http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html
    3. Install it (just double click on the downloaded file)
    4. Force that version of Wine in Synaptic (prevents it from updating again). Instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sy...ea6efd07727415

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

I had a problem with forceing Synaptic. The guide says to hit apply, but after I choose the version of Wine I want, the apply button is still greyed out.

-Arukas

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I should have said use the lock version option, not the force version option. Just select the installed Wine package, click on the Package menu and select "Lock Version".

Beans

Thanks got Synaptic squarded away.

I have another question. I found out Wine 0.3.35 is a good version to run DoW. I notice that the camera in DoW will not pan all the way in and out like it is suppose to do. I never installed Direct X or anything, and from what I read I am not suppose too.

So is there a way to fix the graphics like that or is that the best Wine can do?

-Arukas

Beans
    Distro

I hope you meant to type version 0.9.35, not 0.3.35. I can't imagine a Wine version as old as the 0.3.xx series would work at all or would be available for download anywhere.

The game's function in Wine should be no different than what you would find running the game in Windows (note I said should). However, I have found that some mouse controls do perform oddly on occasion. Are the camera functions controlled with the mouse scroll wheel, or is there a keyboard function that does the zooming in and out?

Beans

I type the wrong version number you are right. It funny how the camera zoom works. I can zoom in and out and move. But I can't zoom all the way in. It odd how it working. ( and I did note you said "should" )

-Arukas

Beans

Figured it out. I had to fix the ingame settings. Apparently they changed on me. So the game works fine.

Here's another question, do you know how to get the sound to work better? It don't really bug me, but its getting a little crazy.

-Arukas

Beans
    Distro

What do you have set for a sound system in Wine?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast