Thread: Crystal structure viewer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Crystal structure viewer

Hi
    I am wondering if any of you have found any good programs to create and view crystal structures?

/mattias

Beans

Re: Crystal structure viewer

Quote Originally Posted by mattiask View Post
    Hi
    I am wondering if any of you have found any good programs to create and view crystal structures?

/mattias
    Good depends on your needs, but (in approximate order of increasing power and difficulty): Rasmol, VMD, Pymol. Deepview (Swiss PDB viewer)'s Linux version is broken, but overall is probably the easiest to use and about equivalent to VMD in power. Grasp is good for some very advanced things, but the free version is Windows-only. In the non-free cateogry ($1000+), there's InsightII, Discovery Studio, and a few others I've not actually tried; my lab's experience has been that the free programs are just as good 99% of the time. Most of the free ones will even create POV-ray files to generate extremely nice images.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I am more into the physics part, especially solid state physics and the crystal structure of solids and surfaces. For those areas those applications aren't quite applicable. You don't know any other application?

Beans

Use 'Xcrysden'. It is free.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Give a chance to Coot as well.

Cheers