Thread: Download Manager: Flashget- How to

Beans

Wink Download Manager: Flashget- How to

How to run Flashget in Ubuntu V 8.04

1- Install Wine
    2- Install Flashget, which will install itself in "wine" programs; Open Flashget so it shows in Taskbar
    3- Install Flashgot as an add-on in Firefox

4- Restart Firefox, type:"about:config" in address box in Firefox (do not type quotes) and click Go arrow or hit Enter/Return
    5- Firefox will show a caution page, hit enter anyway; scroll down to "flashgot.useWine"; right click on this line to change Boolean to "True"
    6- Close and restart Firefox; click on Tools, Flashgot, ...more options. In window that comes up, click on Download Manager box to open and you will see Flashget is visible, click on "Flashget"; click on "Okay"; close and restart Firefox.
    7- Flashget will now work as in Windows, with single or multiple downloads, with pause, schedule, restart of downloads in Rapidshare, etc.

Happy Downloading to All!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Download Manager: Flashget- How to

no offense here, but easier way is:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201

may not have as many features as flashget but get the jobs done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thanks, for me it worked.

Beans

thanks a lot, so helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This post should be made more visible. I tried various different ubuntu native solutions (from wget through to graphical stuff like kget and others).

Flashget in wine works easier and better. I'm all for using good linux alternatives, but in this case the windows program is just better.

There were even cases where wget could not get past 4-6Mb of a 60Mb download, but flashget could.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Question Re: Download Manager: Flashget- How to

Quote Originally Posted by casaduana View Post
    How to run Flashget in Ubuntu V 8.04

1- Install Wine
    2- Install Flashget, which will install itself in "wine" programs; Open Flashget so it shows in Taskbar
    3- Install Flashgot as an add-on in Firefox

4- Restart Firefox, type:"about:config" in address box in Firefox (do not type quotes) and click Go arrow or hit Enter/Return
    5- Firefox will show a caution page, hit enter anyway; scroll down to "flashgot.useWine"; right click on this line to change Boolean to "True"
    6- Close and restart Firefox; click on Tools, Flashgot, ...more options. In window that comes up, click on Download Manager box to open and you will see Flashget is visible, click on "Flashget"; click on "Okay"; close and restart Firefox.
    7- Flashget will now work as in Windows, with single or multiple downloads, with pause, schedule, restart of downloads in Rapidshare, etc.

Happy Downloading to All!
    I tried at least 5 download manager in Ubuntu, none of them complete equivalent of FlashGet. Thus, I had to install FlashGet 1.73 (Classic) via Wine by that instruction. However I cannot get work 2 critical option.

1) In Windows when I try to download a file, FlashGot directs me a FlashGet window which allows me to change the destination of download, enter a username/password, type of download etc... But in Ubuntu, download immediately begins and I have to be contented with default options of FlashGet; default download properies can be only changed in tools menu.

How can I enable download properties of FlashGet at the beginning of download? Does upgrade the FlashGet help?

2) Sometimes I download big amount of files (operating system iso, hd movies etc...). Naturally, I leave the PC for download and go to bed. In Windows, FlashGet has an shut down option and it shuts down the PC after all the downloads finished. In Ubuntu, FlashGet does not shut down the PC; only the Wine. I know that's normal; FlashGet tries to shut down Windows, hence in Ubuntu it can shut down only Wine.

Is there any way to make a script which shuts down Ubuntu when Wine/FlashGet is closed? Here are the processes of Wine/FlashGet: flashget.exe, wineserver, explorer.exe, services.exe, winedevice.exe

System: Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope, Firefox 3.0.17, FlashGot 1.2.1.09, Wine 1.0.1, FlashGet 1.9.6.1073

Edit: 1 has been solved by upgrading FlashGet to 1.9.6.1073. Now, only 2 has stayed unsolved... And do not EVER install lastest version of FlashGet (3.3) on your Ubuntu; it is totally unstable and unusable...
    Last edited by Virus666; January 13th, 2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: System info

Beans
    Distro

BUMP...

Any idea?...

Beans
    Distro

BUMP again...

Is there any idea for making a script that shuts PC when FlashGet/Wine is closed?... How?
    Last edited by Virus666; January 15th, 2010 at 01:49 AM. Reason: spelling