View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 12 of 152 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by d0d0 View Post
    Hi there,

I've just compiled the 2.6.20 on my "Dell Optiplex 210L" and everything went fine, apart from 1 or 2 things.

- My usb drive won't mount automatically in my gnome environment
    - When I boot, between the grub-gdm stage, my screen goes blank (no info on the screen like checking blablabla... starting blablabla...)

Any ideas ?

Thankx in advance
    These problems may have been caused because you missed the "make oldconfig" step before compiling the kernel.

Beans
    Hidden!

I compiled the 2.6.20 kernel on my eMachines T3990, and everything works, except there's no internet connection.

It only worked on my 2.6.19 kernel.

Any suggestions? :-/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    These problems may have been caused because you missed the "make oldconfig" step before compiling the kernel.
    No, I followed everthing on the first page of this thread. At the moment, I've switched to my old kernal until I've found a solution.

Beans

It looks like that on some systems with new chipsets the dont boot after an update the prob is "initramfs-tools". Me switched now to "yaird" and this create a bootable initrd on my system.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

I compiled the 2.6.20 kernel on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000, and for the most part things work great. I finally got the thing to properly suspend and resume. However, the toshiba_acpi module will not load. Looking through the results of dmesg I see
    Code:
    toshiba_acpi: Unknown parameter `hotkeys_over_acpi'
    and attempting to modprobe the module I get
    Code:
    FATAL: Error inserting toshiba_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.20/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    Does anyone know how to fix this? Is there something I forgot to compile in?
    I found this bug about it on launchpad:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source....20/+bug/82266

Edit: I removed the file /etc/modprobe.d/toshiba_acpi.modprobe and this resolved the issue with that module. It seems that the 'hotkeys_over_acpi' option is no longer supported by toshiba_acpi. I believe that this has been incorporated into generic acpi hotkeys.

I am not sure if this is related, but the laptop hangs when I attempt to reboot. It goes through its usual reboot motions and hangs right when it is supposed to restart.

Edit: This does not seem to be related. I am still having the reboot hang. I should point out that I did enable CONFIG_X86_REBOOTFIXUPS when I compiled the kernel, but it doesn't help. Any ideas? The computer reboots fine with the generic kernel from the repos, and it worked fine with the 2.6.19 kernel I compiled. The trouble seems to have arisen in the 2.6.20 kernel.
    Last edited by glennric; February 12th, 2007 at 04:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by neoaddict View Post
    I compiled the 2.6.20 kernel on my eMachines T3990, and everything works, except there's no internet connection.

It only worked on my 2.6.19 kernel.

Any suggestions? :-/
    I have exactly the same problem, my interfaces are up, i can ping servers, but thats all... anyone fixed that?

EDIT: I had some weird wlan interfaces and other that i never installed in my /etc/networking/interfaces file, after i removed them it works fine
    Last edited by maciu; February 12th, 2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: outdated

Beans

Hi all, I come here again with a question:
    What are the config options related to the graphic card compiling?
    Specifically for the nvidia driver what do we need?

From what I got from the Gentoo wiki. the framebuffer part should be disabled, i.e.
    Device->Graphic support ->Support for frame buffer devices.
    I disabled them all

I just wonder if other options may involve with the nvidia driver module installed from their official release. Because I'm experiencing some strange problems. And this problem was not here before I compiled the kernel myself. It's in this post on nv forum
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84962
    I just hope someone can help me get this thing, I've been lost here for several weeks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by d0d0 View Post
    Hi there,

I've just compiled the 2.6.20 on my "Dell Optiplex 210L" and everything went fine, apart from 1 or 2 things.

- My usb drive won't mount automatically in my gnome environment
    - When I boot, between the grub-gdm stage, my screen goes blank (no info on the screen like checking blablabla... starting blablabla...)

Any ideas ?

Thankx in advance
    I have the second one after the usplash goes nothing, I can't even get to a tty. However if I press ctrl+alt+delete the logoff usplash pops up and reboots......

Beans

I decided to give this a shot, it built, compiled .deb'ed and installed

however, on reboot everything seems to be working, but I my ipw drivers are not there

so I am trying to compile them, and am getting an ieee80211 error, any thoughts?

lcohen@lorne-laptop:/tmp/ipw3945-1.2.0$ make
    /bin/sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
    /bin/sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
    -e
    ERROR: A compatible subsystem was not found in the following path[s]:

/lib/modules/2.6.20 /lib/modules/2.6.20/build

You need to install the ieee80211 subsystem from http://ieee80211.sf.net
    and point this build to the location where you installed those sources, eg.:

% make IEEE80211_INC=/usr/src/ieee80211/

or use the 'make patch_kernel' within the ieee80211 subsystem to patch your
    kernel sources.

make: *** [check_inc] Error 1
    lcohen@lorne-laptop:/tmp/ipw3945-1.2.0$

I did a make and make install on the ieee80211
    Last edited by lcohen999; February 18th, 2007 at 05:40 AM.

Page 12 of 152 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast