Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: System76 systems "unique"??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: System76 systems "unique"??

Quote Originally Posted by samalex View Post
    The way I look a it if someone runs older hardware, say 1-2 years old or more, and needs a stable system, DON'T upgrade every 6 months... stick with what works. My PanP5 is about 3 years old and though I did move from the pre-installed 9.04 to 10.04 LTS I don't plan on reinstalling again until 12.04 LTS comes out next month, especially now that LTS Desktop comes with 5 years of support instead of 3 years. And both 9.04 and 10.04 LTS worked perfectly on my system as I expect 12.04 will do as well.

From my experience the three versions between each LTS version are more or less beta where Canonical tests new technologies, and it's simply impossible for S76 or any Linux vendor to guarantee every update will work on every iteration of their hardware, S76 included. Though I'd like to think S76 would have some suggestions if 12.04 completely choked on my PanP5, I'm sure it'll run like a champ
    Agree

Running Debian 6 (with a few applications back-ported) on a notebook pushing a decade of use.

Soon I will have a Lemur Ultra. Will play around with Unity, maybe even try Fedora 16. Then most likely I will use Xubuntu 12.04LTS for a solid, stable performing distro, with years of use designed in.

System76 is good components (GNU/Linux friendly) at a good price. If you like Unity (or any Ubuntu distro), you get great fine tuned support. If you like another GNU/Linux distro, you have great hardware components to work with.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    Agree

Running Debian 6 (with a few applications back-ported) on a notebook pushing a decade of use.

Soon I will have a Lemur Ultra. Will play around with Unity, maybe even try Fedora 16. Then most likely I will use Xubuntu 12.04LTS for a solid, stable performing distro, with years of use designed in.

System76 is good components (GNU/Linux friendly) at a good price. If you like Unity (or any Ubuntu distro), you get great fine tuned support. If you like another GNU/Linux distro, you have great hardware components to work with.
    As I agree with you

I'm giving Ubuntu 12.04 a chance with Unity though I'm not really feeling it based on what I've tried in VirtualBox with 11.10. And if it's a fail I'll either just install XFCE or reload using Xubuntu instead since XFCE is my next bet. The thing that'll really keep me on Ubuntu or even Gnome for that matter is Ubuntu One which I love... so as long as XFCE has decent integration into Ubuntu One that might be a good option for me at least.
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by samalex View Post
    As I agree with you

I'm giving Ubuntu 12.04 a chance with Unity though I'm not really feeling it based on what I've tried in VirtualBox with 11.10. And if it's a fail I'll either just install XFCE or reload using Xubuntu instead since XFCE is my next bet. The thing that'll really keep me on Ubuntu or even Gnome for that matter is Ubuntu One which I love... so as long as XFCE has decent integration into Ubuntu One that might be a good option for me at least.
    I think you'll be impressed with 12.04. It fixes just about all of the problems that Unity has, and adds a couple of great new features as well. I would install it to a separate partition, though, since VMs don't really do it justice.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    I think you'll be impressed with 12.04. It fixes just about all of the problems that Unity has, and adds a couple of great new features as well. I would install it to a separate partition, though, since VMs don't really do it justice.
    What's the issue with VM's?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I would assume it's just that when you are using emulation, you can't really get a feel for how fast or smooth something might be.
    smarm!

Beans
    Distro

Got a question about uniqueness -- not so much the hardware, but the initial installation. Are there any configuration tweaks that would not be replicated if I wiped my disk and did a complete Ubuntu install + System76 drivers?

Thanks
    -HD
    --
    System76 Gazelle Professional (gazp6)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by HunkirDowne View Post
    Got a question about uniqueness -- not so much the hardware, but the initial installation. Are there any configuration tweaks that would not be replicated if I wiped my disk and did a complete Ubuntu install + System76 drivers?

Thanks
    -HD
    Nope, not so much. We try to develop systems that need as few tweaks as possible. When a tweak is required for a piece of hardware to function perfectly, we'll take the tweak, but they're generally small things.

Furthermore, all of the tweak we do apply, can be easily had through our System76 Driver package. All you need to do after a fresh, vanilla installation of Ubuntu is download and install this package, then run the System76 Driver application and use the restore functionality. This restores all factory settings and applies any patches required for your system and particular Ubuntu version.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    <snipped>...all of the tweak we do apply, can be easily had through our System76 Driver package. <snipped>
    Very well, I have no more excuses. <g> Excellent strategy, btw, thanks!
    --
    System76 Gazelle Professional (gazp6)

Beans
    Distro

still waiting for working fingerprint scanner on my serval pro.

The laptop was delivered to me with 11.10 on it and the fingerprint scanner has never ever worked.
    Fear is the mindkiller....
    The little death that obliterates...

Beans

What about warranty ? Now that you ship abroad (including to Belgium where I live), I have some question about that.
    When you sell electronics in Belgium (or Europe for that matter), as a manufacturer, you're obliged to give a 2 year warranty on your products.
    Only recently, Apple has finally given in after years of arguing about this.

Do you provide European buyers with 2 years of warranty. What if a System76 breaks down ? Do I ship it back to the US to be repaired or can I contact a local service centre ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast