Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon ip4600 some success

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Canon ip4600 some success

I have a Canon Pixma 4600 , which I'm trying to set up to as full funcionality as possible.

So far I have the following config working quite well.

I downloaded a Cups ppd from canon at http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0028476.asp there are two deb packages , downloaded them both and let the package manager install them.
    ppd fil(s) now in /usr/share/cups/model .

I have tried editing the ppd to include the Advanced settings suggested here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...nonPixmaIP4200 , to get a higher dpi , but when I select the edited ppd in printer config , settings , make and model , change . the test page doesn't print? I only get a successful test page withe the original ppd , dpi 600.
    Is editing the file corrupting something? How can I test the dpi against that specified in printer config? As the printout looks good , better than I expected for 600.
    The true method of knowledge is experiment.

P4 2.8,MS-6577 v3.1 , 1 gbRam,Intel 82845G/GLVGA

Beans

Re: Canon ip4600 some success

hi,

ubuntu autoadded my new pixma pi4600 but i was unable to print. in the properties it says printer status is idle. in printer status it says printer may not be connected even though the printer was installed just a few minutes ago.

i tried to install the above debian packages. however they are for i386 (intel) architecture and i have a athlon 64.

what can i do to make the printer work with ubuntu?

Beans

I only just noticed your post..........had any luck?

I gave up with cups and the ppd , I've now downloaded Turboprint from http://www.turboprint.info/ , it has been upgraded to include the ip4600. It works a treat 100%, and for the removal of hassle I reckon worth the 30 euros.But you get a month to try it out.

Beans

FOlks - go here:

http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010649.asp

It includes a printer driver to let linux talk to the 4600 series. Printed test page - all's well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank you very much for posting this - works great. With a little work in Guttenprint, I even got it to print 4x6 borderless prints.

Quote Originally Posted by flawedprefect View Post
    FOlks - go here:

http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010649.asp

It includes a printer driver to let linux talk to the 4600 series. Printed test page - all's well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by metol View Post
    Thank you very much for posting this - works great. With a little work in Guttenprint, I even got it to print 4x6 borderless prints.
    After a successful install on my 32bit system, I was able to get these drivers to work on my 64bit system as well - I made a few notes in case anyone else is interested:

Unpack the tar file that you downloaded from Canon (see flawedprefects post above - Thanks!) into some temporary directory and then open a terminal and change to that directory.

first install libcupsys2 (there is a dependency needed later on)

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libcupsys2
    install cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb with forced architecture
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-common_3.00-1_i386.deb
    and now, install the second package...
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-ip4600series_3.00-1_i386.deb
    Connect your printer via the USB port and it should be recognized automatically.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Works great (even duplex!), thanks metol and flawedprefects! (Ubuntu 8.10, 64bit)

I had to delete the previous (bad) configuration from System -> Administration -> Printing. And then turn on the printer, so that it was newly discovered.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
    Works great (even duplex!), thanks metol and flawedprefects! (Ubuntu 8.10, 64bit)
    So, this new (3.0) version of the official driver knows higher resolutions? Does it use less ink? If it does, maybe i should try it...worth a try

BTW does anybody know, if this driver will work with my ip4500? By the official comparsion, the only difference is the inks (IMHO it will work, at least i hope it will) If anyone tried it comment it in a few words Thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My mum just bought one of these after I recommended it due to reading this thread. After installing the 2 deb files, I setup the printer. It was auto detected as an ip4000 (ip4600 is not the the driver list). I cannot get the printer to print. I've been trying to get the test page to print with no success. The job is sent and there are no errors. But the printer simply does nothing.

I'm experienced in Ubuntu, but know nothing about CUPS or Guttenprint.

What could be wrong?
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ignore my last post. I hadn't installed one of the deb files properly. The printer now works but why can I only use it at 600dpi? Does anyone know why? The ppd supplied with the Canon driver isn't complete so as to allow printing at 9600dpi. How can I fix this?
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast