Thread: animated .gif for the desktop?

Beans

animated .gif for the desktop?

Is it possible to have an animated .gif as the background actually be animated? This would be an amazing feature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: animated .gif for the desktop?

There is a utility called xwinwrap, which will allow you to do this, unfortunately, you have to sacrifice the functionalality of your desktop (No Icons/folders or mounted media wil show, and no right click context menu etc).

It was 6 months ago when I tried this, and at the time I found no other solution, however at the suprising rate things develop in linuxland, it's possible that this has been fixed. Try Googling "ubuntu animated wallpaper"
    If music be the food of love, are you the indigestion?
    Fingers & Thumbs at LastFM

Beans

Thanks. That isn't exactly what I want, but hopefully the programming scene has added some more solutions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: animated .gif for the desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by ucal View Post
    Is it possible to have an animated .gif as the background actually be animated? This would be an amazing feature.

You can have animated gif, SWF and movie files as wallpaper in KDE but not in Gnome. Google for info on how to do so.

Beans

After doing some research, I believe it is possible, but it would require a .png (or any other .image file) for every slide. This is accomplished through the use of xml scripts. I'm running one right now, but it switches the image after a few hours, not miliseconds.

The plus side of this method is that folder icon functionality is maintained. The downside is that it isn't very user friendly. I don't know the basics of script writing, so I'm going to have to figure it out before I make my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

In the latest gnome you can have a slide show of wallpapers, with slow overlay transitions at a specific time or every few seconds.
    Like the mac folks have.
    Its a new implementation so theres no gui from which you can do it but you can create a xml file for it.
    See this post.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...30&postcount=4
    Or this thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=784881
    The downside is if you do it yourself you will need to manualy add the specific image files and make sure no mistakes in syntax ,if you create your own custom xml file, were made, so far tried all three examples and the they work.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=83443

mines changes color according to day time. you can also make jpg animate. just follow the discussion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by cor2y View Post
    In the latest gnome you can have a slide show of wallpapers, with slow overlay transitions at a specific time or every few seconds. Like the mac folks have.
    I think there's a package called Drapes that does this (rotating the background, not displaying animated gifs). You should be able to access it in the universe. Having said that, I know that package worked nicely under earlier versions of Ubuntu, such as Dapper, but I think it might be a bit touch and go with the newer versions with the newer screen effects.