Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To Ubuntu 13.04...or, not to Ubuntu 13.04 - Complete Disappointment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

To Ubuntu 13.04...or, not to Ubuntu 13.04 - Complete Disappointment

Let me first start to say that I completely support patching bug #1....by no means! But I think 13.04 was rashed too much...or Ubuntu testing has gone down the hill big time.

I have been a long time Ubuntu user. I started with 9.10 and moved to 10.04. ever since I have been using 10.04 pretty successfully. 9.10 has been great for me. Pretty well bundled. Everything worked, as it is supposed to be running, down to the smallest detail. I customized my gnome d
    desktop, nautilus, etc.

recently I got a new laptop, put a larger disk and decided to start fresh with 13.04. What a disappointment that was...I have no problem moving from Gnome to Unity, nor issues with the installation. Installation was flawless.

I am shocked that Canonical would let so many bugs go to their production release...Let me list a couple:

- Suspend hangs my laptop - https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42977
    - Ethernet card does not work when the laptop works on a battery - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1112652
    - Screen Lock does not work

etc.

And these are just a couple of MAJOR problems that are currently running out of my Ubuntu deployment. Plain vanilla install, with no other software. Still questioning the feasibility of the move to 13.04 and whether I should move at all...

So here is the rhetorical question - are we trying to build a fix for bug #1, or simply following Microsoft's steps of releasing a release that is not prime time ready...??? Or is Canonical turning into Microsoft's mirror image, pushing things without proper testing and with no care it that really is going to work...??? Should I mention the disaster of Windows Vista?

I think Canonical need to get their act together, before they go downhill....really fast...

In the meantime, I would recommend to everyone that is looking at Ubuntu 13.04 to look at alternatives, test and see if everything would work fine before make the call.

Beans

Re: To Ubuntu 13.04...or, not to Ubuntu 13.04 - Complete Disappointment

For me, 13.04 seems like a bug-fixed version of 12.10 with a few extra features and changes.
    The main reason for me to upgrade was performance and the cloud app monitor.

I use ubuntu on my laptop (Thinkpad E420, i5-2540m, intel HD3000 graphics, 64-bit Linux) and i have noticed a great increase in battery life as unity has been tweaked to give much better performance. There have been far less compiz/unity crashes than a fresh 12.10 install AND i have noticed almost a 20-30% increase in battery life.

I have not yet tested the performance of Unity on disctrete graphics (AMD Radeon HD6630m, fglrx Catalyst 13.4)

I also like the changes to the user interface and style. The new cloud app indicator is useful to me as I use ubuntu one to sync between devices but do not want active syncing to occur when I am working on files as it would sync whenever I saved a file. Now I can easily turn off syncing without having to load the heavy Ubuntu One application.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I am running xubuntu 13.04 64bit on several machines no issue, i even started switching to it before April was here on production machines (i was running beta full time)
    only had 1 bug show up, and it was fixed during iso testing, and it had a easy workaround
    about a week before raring was released there was a bugged kernel, bad for nvidia gpus and lots of hdmi audio chips, upgrading to the mainline kernel solved this
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by peshko-lnx View Post
    Let me first start to say that I completely support patching bug #1....by no means! But I think 13.04 was rashed too much...or Ubuntu testing has gone down the hill big time.
    I'd suggest if you feel that testing doesn't fix problems with your system, that you take part in testing, either by joining the Q/A team, or installing Saucy, and participating in threads in the U+1 sub-forum.

The more people with different hardware testing, the better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I just downloaded Ubuntu 13.04 and gave it a spin for few days. Bottom line: I like it. I haven't encountered any notable bugs. There are some nice added touches compared to 12.04, and it does look nice and clean. I do like the fonts, and if there's a sluggishness, I don't see it on my Toshiba Satellite.

More bottom line: I also just upgraded my Kubuntu to 13.04, and that has some nice minor improvements as well. All things considered, I still prefer Kubuntu over Unity.

I've now gotten familiar with the big three -- Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and Ubuntu. Although I do have a personal favorite, that's just me. Any one of those DE's is actually a pleasure to use. None of them has shown any stability issues, or made me regret using them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

But I think 13.04 was rashed too much...or Ubuntu testing has gone down the hill big time.
    Possibly stick with a LTS version
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by peshko-lnx View Post
    I am shocked that Canonical would let so many bugs go to their production release...Let me list a couple:
    if the new laptop on Ubutnu certified list? : http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

if not (probably now since mostly old stuff is there), then what is the problem?

unfortunatelly the procedure in your case is: test, report the bug, wait for it to be sovled.

if everything is ok, then publish it on laptop compatibility list. maybe it will even get Ubuntu Certified.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    if the new laptop on Ubutnu certified list? : http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

if not (probably now since mostly old stuff is there), then what is the problem?

unfortunatelly the procedure in your case is: test, report the bug, wait for it to be sovled.

if everything is ok, then publish it on laptop compatibility list. maybe it will even get Ubuntu Certified.
    This is a good point! I just checked, and there is no Toshiba laptop/desktop certified... In my case most of the problems has already been reported...I keep testing, so I will see how everything is going to turn out...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep View Post
    Possibly stick with a LTS version
    That's what I used to, but decided to check the latest one anyway. Had 10.04 running for a long time...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I'd suggest if you feel that testing doesn't fix problems with your system, that you take part in testing, either by joining the Q/A team, or installing Saucy, and participating in threads in the U+1 sub-forum.

The more people with different hardware testing, the better.
    I will probably go for Saucy. I have no problem doing some testing and support the development.

Thanks!

/Peter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast