Page 1 of 91 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: How I got Guild Wars working in Wine 0.9.23

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

How I got Guild Wars working in Wine 0.9.23 (Updated to 0.9.39)

EDIT (08/09/07) - UPDATED ONLY THE 32-BIT SCRIPT FOR 0.9.42
    EDIT (07/02/07) - UPDATED FOR 0.9.40
    EDIT (06/28/07) - Cleared everything but the edit history and redid it to reflect the current status of Guild Wars in wine.
    EDIT (03/31/07) - See the note below - now defunct as the note was removed
    EDIT (03/30/07) - The 64-bit script is now updated. Everyone say "Thank you, Azakus!".
    EDIT (03/25/07) - UPDATED FOR 0.9.33. Note, the 64-bit scripts are not yet updated
    EDIT (03/12/07) - Fixed some problems pointed out to me in the scripts.
    EDIT (03/02/07) - UPDATED FOR 0.9.32
    EDIT (01/27/07) - If you tried the installwine+gw.sh script prior to today, it most likely did not work. I had some typoes.
    EDIT (01/25/07) - UPDATED FOR 0.9.30 - Added scripts for AUTOMATION! Also, added asterisks in the file paths so I only have to update the link to the source every time.
    EDIT (01/23/07) - UPDATED FOR 0.9.29
    EDIT (About 01/01/07)- UPDATED FOR 0.9.28

NOTE: I have removed the old manual guide because I deemed it unnecessary due to the ease with which Guild Wars can now be run under Wine.

Read the list before you do anything as you may just be able to use the package from the wine repositories.

Step 1: Download the script
    • Download one of the attachments at the bottom of this post. Get winebuild.sh if you are on a 32-bit computer AND you get the "Too many concurrent lights" error (a description of this is provided under Troubleshooting). If you are on a 64-bit computer, you can get the 64-bit version helpfully provided by Azakus. This is necessary even if you do not have the "Too many concurrent lights" error (I think; all speculation - ask Azakus if you want to know for sure) because Wine needs to be compiled differently under a 64-bit operating system. Thanks, Azakus!
    • NOTE: These scripts are for Edgy only but if you are using Breezy or Dapper it should be VERY easy to convert it to that. Just replace the word 'edgy' in the line "wget http://kegel.com/wine/edgy.sh -O ~/winestuff/pkgs.sh" with breezy or dapper.

Step 2: Run the script
    Code:
    sh <<insert the path to the script you downloaded>>
    Troubleshooting
    A common error seems to be that Guild Wars freezes with this output repeatedly in the command line: "fixme:dbghelp:SymInitializeW what to do ??". There appears to be two causes of this.

1. The first is the "Too many concurrent lights" error. When this happens, the fixmes above are preceded by an error to the effect of "Too many concurrent lights". If this happens and you are on a 32-bit computer, run the winebuild.sh script. If you are on a 64-bit script, run Azakus' winebuild64.sh and tell it that, yes, you want to use the concurrent lights fix.
    2. Wine doesn't appear to use the new sound system that Guild Wars implemented in a recent update. This can be fixed in three ways: running it with the -dsound flag, the -nosound flag, or turning off sound in winecfg. To run it with those flags, you would run it pretty much the same way you always do but append that on to the end of your command:
      Code:
      wine "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe" -dsound

Good luck and happy gaming.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jarn; August 10th, 2007 at 08:17 AM.

Beans

Re: How I got Guild Wars working in Wine 0.9.23

Your how-to looks great!

How does GW play? Is it smooth, are there any zoning problems (lag after going through portals)?

I will have to put aside some time to try this out.

Thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It works great. For a few seconds after you zone, you have no mouse. But it comes back shortly, quicker if you right-click. I have about 30-35 fps average, so no lag . There is this, though:

Quote Originally Posted by Jarn
    create a character. This does not work. When you try to type the name at the final stage of character creation, it freezes
    But you may not have that problem. I don't think I've seen anyone else complain of this problem with Guild Wars.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I will be trying this soon. I don't have an established .dat file anymore because I nuked my Windows partition after the Nightfall PvE preview. So I guess I'll have to see how the login bug you talked about works out. I have hopes.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by FyreBrand View Post
    I guess I'll have to see how the login bug you talked about works out.
    I have a feeling that that is not a common thing, that it's just an oddity of something about my system.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well, I found something else that doesn't work quite right, but it works well enough to play. I had never done any zoning besides in the Balthazar isles and I had extrapolated that all zoning would be the same. However, I just tried to zone in Prophecies - it works, all the cities show up, but when zoomed out it's all clouds and when zoomed in it's like black and orange clouds. :O

EDIT:Okay, I didn't do anything and now it's working. So apparently that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. O.o Well, it always works, but sometimes it doesn't show the background correctly.
    Last edited by Jarn; October 25th, 2006 at 03:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm wondering if running the -image switch will be helpful or not. Whenever ANet put out a major update or after a few weekly updates I used to run a GuildWars shortcut with the -image switch on so I could have all of the content decompressed. It might help for the system not to have to decompress files from the .dat file on the fly.

I really can't wait to try this out and see if I can get it to work. I'm pretty much of a Wine newbie so I'll do a little reading on how to configure that before I start.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm wondering if running the -image switch will be helpful or not.
    I don't know, I always use -image.

I really can't wait to try this out and see if I can get it to work. I'm pretty much of a Wine newbie so I'll do a little reading on how to configure that before I start.
    I'm a newbie too. Good luck! I hope this works for you and it's not just that I got lucky or something like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The wine install went pretty good, at least no errors, but I am getting a segmentation fault on winecfg. I will do a little more reading and try again later. I am using Edgy so I have to figure out if there is some version incompatibility somewhere between that and Dapper.

If nothing else I will do a quick Dapper reinstall over the holiday and see if it works under that before doing a fresh Edgy install.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Did you have any luck?

Page 1 of 91 1231151 ... LastLast