Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Root access by default...How do I grant it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Exclamation Root access by default...How do I grant it?

Hello fellow Ubuntu users. I am running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Xfce4 DE and I would like to have root access all the time and I am aware of all the risks that might bring.
    I am also familiar with the "sudoers" file in /etc directory, it says that I must edit it with visudo somehow to grant me all-the-time-root access.
    Few questions:
    How should I edit it to grant myself root by default?
    I MUST edit it with "visudo" or can I use something else?
    Can I revert it back and how?

Thank you, my regards to you.

Last edited by LinuxUser666; June 6th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Root access by default...How do I grant it?

Maybe this can help RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

I would like to have root access all the time
    Why ?

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

That's normally not a good idea and you should consider very carefully before doing it. If you have a number of commands which normally require sudo you can type
    Code:
    sudo -i
    before the first command then exit after the last to avoid repeatedly typing sudo. To run a GUI application with root privileges just open the terminal and enter
    Code:
     gksu
    or
    Code:
    gksudo
    followed by the name of your program. As you can see it is almost never necessary to enable the root login.

With that said, to enable the root unlimited passwordless access to root privileges open a terminal window and run the follwoing command:
    Code:
    sudo visudo
    and add the folowing line:
    Code:
    your_user_name   ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thats a bad idea. For somethings, you definitely do not want to be root. Is it so hard to type "sudo"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Ok 1st of all thanks to slickymaster for your informations regarding the given matter at hand, you are very kind.
    2nd of all its nobody's concern why do i need root access on my own computer, although I respect the concern, but as I said I am aware of risks, hazzards and so on.
    3rd of all whatthefunk, its not hard to type sudo, its hard to type in the password, 'cause I am lazy...sometimes.

Thank you, my regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxUser666 View Post
    2nd of all its nobody's concern why do i need root access on my own computer,
    That may be so, but it is our concern when things are posted here which can mislead inexperienced users into doing inappropriate things. You are not the only person to be reading and acting on advice posted here. There will be many silent surfers, both forum members and guests who arrive by means of a google search, reading this thread. Which is why we have a forum policy:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1486138

The goal is to educate new users.

Our "line in the sand" is with tutorials or posts that show people how to LOG IN to a graphical desktop (gnome, KDE, etc) as root. This is completely inappropriate and unnecessary.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

2nd of all its nobody's concern why do i need root access on my own computer
    I'm just interested in why you need it and i don't.

Kind regards

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxUser666 View Post
    Ok 1st of all thanks to slickymaster for your informations regarding the given matter at hand, you are very kind.
    2nd of all its nobody's concern why do i need root access on my own computer, although I respect the concern, but as I said I am aware of risks, hazzards and so on.
    3rd of all whatthefunk, its not hard to type sudo, its hard to type in the password, 'cause I am lazy...sometimes.

Thank you, my regards.
    It's your computer and it's your right to decide how much security you want/need. If you don't want to be forced to login 100 times a day:

Code:
    sudo visudo
    Then add a new line at the end of the file:

Code:
    <YOUR USER NAME>    ALL=(ALL)NOPASSWD: ALL
    That will be the last time you'll be asked for a password.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

It's your computer and it's your right to decide how much security you want/need
    Of course it's their right to weaken the security of their computer as much as they want, just as it is their right to leave the front door open while going shopping.

It's hardly best practice though.

Kind regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast