Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer Revo - torrentflux-b4rt or Deluge with web ui?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Acer Revo - torrentflux-b4rt or Deluge with web ui?

Hi all

I've bought an Acer Aspire Revo nettop, which I intend to use as an HTPC to replace my aging (and loud and power hungry) Shuttle.

I intend to install Karmic 9.10 on it, along with XBMC 9.11 (Camelot). I'm wondering which torrent client to install.

At present I use torrentflux-b4rt, but something tells me it's a bit overkill for the amount of torrenting I do (I could be wrong). Having to have a web server + sqllite etc installed, just for that one app, seems to be a bit resource-heavy when it doesn't do anything else webserver-related.

So I was thinking instead of moving to Deluge, along with its web UI. The Ajax-ified skin is beautiful, and I think it has most of the features of b4rt (except user accounts). It also means no overhead of apache/lighttpd and a database server.

Does this make sense do you think? I intend to leave the machine running 24/7, and AFAIK the Deluge daemon can be run on startup, along with the web UI, which can be accessed easily enough from the outside world via dynamic DNS.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, not to mention people's experiences torrenting on the Revo.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Acer Revo - torrentflux-b4rt or Deluge with web ui?

Any thoughts? I'm guessing the deluge daemon with web ui uses less resources, but I could be wrong. Bearing in mind the specs of the Revo (Atom 1.6GHz, 1gb ram) this might be a consideration. Lean and mean is the aim of the game.

Beans

It's a good setup and you're unlikely to have problems.

The Deluge daemon's resource usage will be negligible with such a powerful processor as an Atom, and so much ram as 1GB.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

i used to use torrentflux (not the b4rt version) and changed to deluge web ui, i prefer deluge becuase i can set global download limits , when stock torrentflux could only set per torrent limits ( i dont know if b4rt version can do this or not)

my recomendation goed to deluge.

the revo is plenty powerfull enough to run many torrents , my first torrent slave was a slow slot based pentium with 256mb of ram lol, my sis has a revo and its a good little machine, not good for number crunching or gaming , but will handle most other tasks with ease
    Last edited by markp1989; January 7th, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Distro

I think I'll go with Deluge, starting the daemon with the web UI at startup. Seems sensible because it's self-contained and doesn't require a full-blown (even if lightweight) HTTP server, plus database server, which is total overkill for that one job.

On another note, I tried the Revo with a 1080p mkv and it runs like a dream with XBMC and VDPAU

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a revo too. My only complaint is that it does not have enough snort to power through flash video in Linux--no surprises there I guess. Everything else runs really really well.

Beans

rtorrent + rutorrent is by far better.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PurposeOfReason View Post
    Care to say why?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by melat0nin View Post
    Care to say why?
    Overall control you have over the torrents, least resources, best UI.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PurposeOfReason View Post
    that does look decent, are there any up to date how tos for running rutorrent in 9.10? i wana give it a go.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast