Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mail from webserver question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: mail from webserver question

You need to make sure that you have the port open on the firewall on the box that has apache server, postfix and dns( i think). but I have never had the router onto the internet port open for postfix or dns. There is one draw back if you send the email to fred@gmail.com I will turn up in spam. and some isp will block it altogether. Because they can't talk to postfix. but if you are only using it on a form on one or two web sites and you choose the right email address it is fine. I would go gmail

I think from memory you also need dns but it is a while since I did it? if you have a look at some of you old post you will see i asked something similar. Don't laugh to much I was very raw.

gishaust
    It doesn't aways happen straight away. But time has a way of leveling everything!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by johan.alfa View Post
    I would like to send mails.
    I do not neet te receive anything.
    If you have access to an external mail server, e.g. that of your ISP's, then you might want to check out Nullmailer - you'll find it in the repositories. It is a simple outbound-only MTA which will pass mail onto your upstream mail server for onward delivery.

Mathew
    www.NewtonNet.co.uk - Now supporting IPv6!

~ Please don't use PM's to request assistance - post your query on the forum and share the discussion - if you've got a problem chances are you won't be the only one! ~

Beans

Hello,

I could not find Nullmailer in the standard server repos.
    Are they in the backport?

greetings,

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

You should find it in universe.

Mathew

~ Please don't use PM's to request assistance - post your query on the forum and share the discussion - if you've got a problem chances are you won't be the only one! ~

Beans

Hello,

Nullmailer is working fine over here.
    Only problem I still have is php apche is sending mail as www-data@bla.bla.

Anybody knows how I can change the www-data to something else?

greetings,
    Last edited by johan.alfa; August 13th, 2008 at 03:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

The From: address can be specified in your PHP mail function as an additional header - see example #2 at http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

Mathew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by gishaust View Post
    You need to make sure that you have the port open on the firewall on the box that has apache server, postfix and dns( i think). but I have never had the router onto the internet port open for postfix or dns. There is one draw back if you send the email to fred@gmail.com I will turn up in spam. and some isp will block it altogether. Because they can't talk to postfix. but if you are only using it on a form on one or two web sites and you choose the right email address it is fine. I would go gmail

I think from memory you also need dns but it is a while since I did it? if you have a look at some of you old post you will see i asked something similar. Don't laugh to much I was very raw.

gishaust
    I see you have an MTA working and that's great!

Just for future reference and for everyone reading this, Postfix can be configured to do exactly the same thing and it's pretty easy.

Gishaust, you do not need a DNS server for sending mail OR for web hosting. For some reason, everyone here thinks you do.

On the gmail thing, it has nothing to do with postfix, it has to do with people setting up "half baked" mail servers. I have postfix running on my formums and we have no problem sending to gmail accounts, BUT I have a static address, and reverse DNS is set up for my domains. What happens is if the gmail mail server cannot resolve your name from the IP it will reject the mail and rightly so. So if you are using some kind of work around like dynamic DNS service, it's not going to work because you don't have a static IP that resolves to your domain, therefore they think it's either being spoofed, or relayed.

Then there are some ISPs like Comcast that don't allow ANY mail to be sent from there IP range (unless you have a business account).

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

Hello all and thanks for helping,

@windependence
    I tried postfix and it does indeed the same if installed like a satelite. But I could not make the from address as I wanted.
    With null mail I can make it look like www-data@bla.net
    But with postfix I had to make it like www-data@bla.bla.net to work. This was one bla to much.
    I would like to use postfix or something else but the install is above my head for the moment.

greetings,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the info. This thread has been great learned so much.
    It doesn't aways happen straight away. But time has a way of leveling everything!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by johan.alfa View Post
    I tried postfix and it does indeed the same if installed like a satelite. But I could not make the from address as I wanted.
    With null mail I can make it look like www-data@bla.net
    Have you changed your PHP code now?

Mathew

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast