View Poll Results: Good idea to make performance a priority in 13.04

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

86 87.76%
  • No.

12 12.24%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 13.04 should be dedicated to performance.

Beans

Re: 13.04 should be dedicated to performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    I know it is with the kernel, but the kernel developers should not be the only ones to write drivers.

Um, if you write drivers you are a kernel developer by definition, since drivers go in the kernel.

Such a large task for such few people.
    There are hundreds (thousands?) of people contributing to the kernel, not to mention many major corporations. There are probably more kernel developers than Canonical employees. So many that Linus has started telling people to go work on other open source projects, because the kernel has more than enough developers. The "Linux Drivers Project" (a special project dedicated solely to advancing Linux hardware support) itself boasts four hundred developers last time I checked.

See http://www.linuxdriverproject.org for more information on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Um, if you write drivers you are a kernel developer by definition, since drivers go in the kernel.

There are hundreds (thousands?) of people contributing to the kernel, not to mention many major corporations. There are probably more kernel developers than Canonical employees. So many that Linus has started telling people to go work on other open source projects, because the kernel has more than enough developers. The "Linux Drivers Project" (a special project dedicated solely to advancing Linux hardware support) itself boasts four hundred developers last time I checked.

See http://www.linuxdriverproject.org for more information on it.
    I was talking about how many devices are still unsupported by comparison. Also, the jump from the current 3.2.0-30 kernel to the 3.5.0-14 kernel should bring in tons of new drivers.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just did a fresh install of 12.10 on a desktop that was originally built on Hardy Heron. All the stuff accumulated over the years was slowing it down.

Now it boots in seconds and runs much faster than it did and is a rabbit compared to the W7 partition.

Beans

Seems there are a lot of bugs in general in ubuntu. Even general stuff shows lots of bugs. Wish Canonical could get a handle on this (performance I think is closely related).

Primarily why I only use LTS. I won't touch the 6-months

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567