View Poll Results: Which of these is better (in your opinion)?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arch

17 60.71%
  • Gentoo

4 14.29%
  • Slackware

7 25.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which of these is better?

Beans

Re: Which of these is better?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Have a closer look at Slackware 14, software is pretty up to date these days.
    I have not tried slack 14, the last slack based one I used was based on slack 13.

Beans

Manjaro is Arch without the setup.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Manjaro is Arch without the setup.
    Where's the fun in that?

I've been using Arch on my home workstation for ages now, and I've never had an update break my system. Just make sure you read the Beginners Guide when you are installing and it's all pretty straightforward.

I think now is a good time to install Arch as it's now fully moved to systemd, there should be no big changes in the immediate future, just package updates.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Where's the fun in that?
    If you want the fun they also have a netinstall image which is what I use

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    I think now is a good time to install Arch as it's now fully moved to systemd,
    To me, that'd be a great reason to not use Arch, as I'm not too happy with the way it and udev are going. I don't know about slack, but in Gentoo you can use whatever init system you want, and aren't confined to systemd. Gentoo also has a fork of udev allowing separate /usr without an initramfs, which is very handy.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Which of these is better?

Quote Originally Posted by LiamOS View Post
    To me, that'd be a great reason to not use Arch, as I'm not too happy with the way it and udev are going. I don't know about slack, but in Gentoo you can use whatever init system you want, and aren't confined to systemd. Gentoo also has a fork of udev allowing separate /usr without an initramfs, which is very handy.
    I agree. I gave up on Arch and switched to Debian sid (Siduction Linux, actually) because of systemd. If Debian gets to the point of requiring systemd, I will find something else.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arch probably has the best documentation of the 3 just in case you screw up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I agree. I gave up on Arch and switched to Debian sid (Siduction Linux, actually) because of systemd. If Debian gets to the point of requiring systemd, I will find something else.

Tim
    I cant see Debian ever going for systemd as it does not gel with their bsd & hurd kernels and other architectures they support.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mag1strate View Post
    Arch probably has the best documentation of the 3 just in case you screw up.
    Hands up everybody who has used the fabulous Arch documentation? My most recent usage was the definitive wiki page on the state of play with Bluray and Linux:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay

Can't be matched by any other distro, but I will stick with Slackware all the same
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

From what I've learned from others that use the different distro's Slackware is a good teacher and next to that Gentoo.

I've been running Debian a little over 6 months and it runs rock solid and stable!
    -Check yourself before you wreck yourself-

Devuan, MX Linux, Debian 12 & Slackware 15

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast