Page 44 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans

Re: Grub 2 Basics

Why is there no simple graphical editor for GRUB 2 like there is for GRUB. This makes it impossible for non software savvy people to use any of the newer versions of Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rtuinila View Post
    Why is there no simple graphical editor for GRUB 2 like there is for GRUB. This makes it impossible for non software savvy people to use any of the newer versions of Ubuntu.
    I wonder the same thing...

Allegedly there kind of is. When I was researching how to use Grub 2, there are a few places buried in the documentation that say a few existing editors can do some of the basics but I have never tried it.

That being said, if the documentation were organized better, the entire process of switching to Grub2 would have been much easier. The first time I did it, it took me a few hours. The second time, 6 months later, took me literally 5 minutes.
    use linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rtuinila View Post
    Because it's free and nobody has taken the time to create one yet. I agree a GUI app would be most welcome.

The creator of StartUp-Manager made a few changes to his original app and some of the really common tasks such as changing the timeout and default OS are still available. I believe he was going to work on a "Version 2" but I haven't heard anything lately. The app is called 'startupmanager' and is in the "universe" repository.

If you tell us what you would like to do with Grub 2 there are plenty of people around these forums who can help you accomplish your goal.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have just installed 10.04. I've come straight from 8.04, so this guide has been invaluable to me today. It's very clear and logical. Many, many thanks for this drs305, I owe you a beer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by muteXe View Post
    Many, many thanks for this drs305, I owe you a beer.
    By that logic, I owe a brewery to all those who came before me.

Welcome to Lucid!
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Question Re: Grub 2 Basics

Hello,

I am a bit lost to how to solve my issue :
    I have 2 hard drives sda and sdb
    sda host Win 7 and ubuntu.

I wanted to have a test Win 7, so from ubuntu, I created sdb1 and manually copied all the Win 7 partition from sda to sdb1. (partition size identical).

How can I modify grub to have the possibility to boot the second Win 7 ?

Thank you

Moiyug

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by moiyug View Post
    How can I modify grub to have the possibility to boot the second Win 7 ?
    moiyug,

Welcome to Ubuntu and the Ubuntu forums.

I can't speak to whether Windows will work by doing what you are trying, but as far as Grub2 goes:

First, just run "sudo update-grub" and see if G2 recognizes the new OS. You can either reboot to see if it shows up on the menu or you can open /boot/grub/grub.cfg to inspect the menuentries. You could also run this to check the choices that will be shown in the Grub 2 menu:
    Code:
    cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep menuentry
    If G2 doesn't find it, the easiest thing would probably to make an entry in the /etc/grub.d/40_custom menu.

Open it for editing:
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom  /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Then copy the original menuentry for Windows to the 40_custom file. Add it below any existing lines in 40_custom. Modify the UUID, hdXY and "/dev/sdXY" entries to match your new install.

Save the file and then run "sudo update-grub".

If you need more help, post the contents of your current Windows entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg and then tell us where the new OS is installed, which partition, and the UUID.
    Last edited by drs305; April 22nd, 2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I have a super nice customized grub2 screen in 1920 x 1200 resolution.
    The text is a little small, but it is pretty much expected and it is OK for me, but I just wanted to change the picture.

I got the image from right clicking on the desktop and down to change desktop resolution and clicked on "Get more backgounds online".
    Then I clicked on Themes tab on the right and then Splash screens. The picture was black and white and only 500px × 330px big.

So I edited in with Gimp and made it 1920 x 1200 and saved it as a TGA file. Thinking that was good to go,
    I changed the permissions on the file with "sudo chmod newpicture.tga =reference otherpicture.tga".
    Of course I had to move it to /usr/share/images/grub/ and ran "sudo update-grub".

It appeared to work from the displayed output of update-grub, but upon rebooting, it was a black screen with white text.
    Which indicated it really did not find it.

Upon doing more research comparing the one that worked great and the new one,
    I found that the one that worked was RGB color and the one that did not was in grayscale.

I edited it again with Gimp and set it the same as the one that worked and viola it looked magnificent!
    So, it had to be a color picture to work.

Well, that is my 2 cents on the subject. In my sig. is a link to some updated info. on GRUB2 and down a ways a link to making splash screens.

I certainly am no expert, but was at least able to figure this part out.
    Just thought I would mention it here and hopefully it will benefit someone.

I also wanted to say that this is a super tutorial and thanks for putting it up!!!
    Last edited by Cavsfan; April 25th, 2010 at 12:26 AM.

Beans

You will find .png to be more flexible in grub. I use both color and black and white and never have a problem.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    You will find .png to be more flexible in grub. I use both color and black and white and never have a problem.
    Thank you for that info! I don't know why, but I have always used TGA, but I'll try
    PNG the next time I want to change the splash screen.
    There has always seemed to be something magical about the grub splash.
    It seemed like magic when my changes worked and it seemed like black magic when I thought that it should work,
    but would not work even though everything looked like it should.

Page 44 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast