Thread: Basic questions about ubuntu (defrag, virus..).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Basic questions about ubuntu (defrag, virus..).

hey,y`all...
    Hey,y`all...thanks for the welcomes and comments.Sure am glad to be here amongst real computer folks.Wish I`d have known about this Ubuntu and Linux stuff years ago.
    Today I downloaded the Opera browser and found it to be somewhat faster and better with graphics,flash videos,and so on,than Firefox.At least on my Dell computer here it seems so.Trouble is...I love Firefox and all its` "add-ons".Guess I`ll just have to give up the "glitz-and-glitter"---which is why people get hung up on Windows in the first place.Just a bunch of smoke and mirrors.Same thing with Firefox in a lot of ways...I suppose.
    Incidentally,I have a dumb question for y`all---does Ubuntu have to be defragmented and cleaned out periodically like Windows? If so...how do I go about doing it?
    And what about virus protection---is this server susceptible to viruses,which are usually written in "exe.files"that constantly plague Windows? Did some mad genius come up with a virus that can penetrate this Linux script?
    Sure would appreciate some feedback on all this...
    ----Rick James(Spencer,Indiana)
    rickjames47 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Beans

Re: dumb question

Quote Originally Posted by rickjames47 View Post
    I have a dumb question for y`all---does Ubuntu have to be defragmented and cleaned out periodically like Windows? If so...how do I go about doing it?
    And what about virus protection---is this server susceptible to viruses,which are usually written in "exe.files"that constantly plague Windows?
    Basically the answer to your questions is no and no. No defragmenting required on linux systems, I think every 30 boots the system will automatically do a check on the file system, but nothing for you to run.,

Likewise with virus protection, you do not need it, although there are anti virus products available for linux, if you want to protect your windows friends in case you send them something, eg an email attachment.

It is one of the great benefits of a linux system, so much less time spent protecting your system from itself. Long may it continue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: dumb question

Wow!---thank you for your answer to my questions.I suspected as much,but just wasn`t sure.I still am finding it so hard to believe how Linux(ubuntu) is so vastly superior to any version of Windows---and,moreover,it`s free,it`s totally dependable,and,yet,people(like me) have been ignoring it for no other reason than to make Bill Gates the richest man in the world for an inferior product!!
    I truly feel like a total ***!
    But...well,at least I finally "saw the light".I feel sorry,nevertheless,for the multitude of people running out to buy Vista,or "Seven",or any future version of Windows---simply because Microsoft so decrees.
    Anyhow...thanks again for your answers.
    ---Rick

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Basic questions about ubuntu (defrag, virus..).

In the future, please use a descriptive title, thanks. I have edited this one.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hokey doke.Sorry.Didn`t know you guys were "formal" here.I`ll comply from now on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by rickjames47 View Post
    hokey doke.Sorry.Didn`t know you guys were "formal" here.I`ll comply from now on.
    it is not about being formal. The forums traffic is huge. Imagine what they would look like with titles such as : "dumb question", "help please" "newbie here" etc.. Unusable.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Just to clarify a minor point, what about malicious web scripts? After years of dabbling I've finally taken the plunge and dumped my Windows installation in favour of Ubuntu. Do I need to consider finding an equivalent of SpyBot or AdAware? Or is there something already built in that's doing the job? Or is even that not really necessary in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For the most part, malicious web scripts are designed to work on Windows. As an Ubuntu user, you will be immune to those as well.
    ----
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Linux user # 384496
    Ubuntu user # 15390