Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone got MIR working in raring?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Anyone got MIR working in raring?

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I can tell you this, editing lightdm.conf according to instructions and restarting lightdm by a reboot gets me to a black screen. A completely dead black screen not a tty. I now have to find a way of removing "type=mir" from lightdm.conf without being at a desktop. There are two other ways of running the command "sudo service lightdm restart" that I can think of. From a terminal on the desktop and from a tty. Both fail to get me back to a working Ubuntu.

And I also understand this in the Mir guide to mean a normal Ubuntu desktop with all applications. This little experiment is turning into a good practice session for developing skills in fixing broken desktops.
    That is precisely what I am getting and I have the Intel and ATi graphics card capabilities, however it does not mention (that I can find) what graphics card they are using exactly. That leads me to assume that the particular document in question was not meant for us here at U+1. Either that or the instructions are erroneous , because they are obviously incomplete at best. However , the Demos work exceptionally well. I can at least do some manouvering and manipulating of those demo lines of code that are suggested to vary the results.

I have also learned that when my desktop was broken by my experiments that I could always reboot (CTRL+ALT+DEL) from the *RIGHT* hand side of the keyboard. The ALT +F1 or ALT+F2 as suggested in the manual does nothing here across various 'from factors'.

I am also able to get mir to come up in htop from gnome-terminal on Ubuntu Desktop (without the <type=mir> in the lightdm.conf file) when I drop down to kernel 3.9.0-9, 3.8.0-10 but not higher, so I assume there is a kernel patch problem also.

Regardless the problems I am still having a great time experimenting. Big update today ... let's see....

Beans
    Distro

I can tell you this, editing lightdm.conf according to instructions and restarting lightdm by a reboot gets me to a black screen. A completely dead black screen not a tty. I now have to find a way of removing "type=mir" from lightdm.conf without being at a desktop. .

I have stable installs on most of my machines so I boot there from Grub, open Gnome terminal, click on nautilus and make sure I have the drive mounted <click> then :

gksu gedit /etc/lightdm/ lightdm.conf

Or I Believe you can do the same from a USB iso "live".

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    booting in recovery mode might let you edit lightdm.conf (with nano), or chroot via ssh

Yes.. nice indeed. I forgot about nano. Doh!

Thanks.

Edit:

I am able to edit in and edit out and get back to a working Ubuntu-Desktop.
    Last edited by ventrical; March 20th, 2013 at 03:54 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for the tip about nano. I knew I would get advice about a command line editor. A thougth has also occurred to me. Surely the correct procedure is to first stop lightdm and then restart lightdm? And not just restart it. If we wanted to switch to GDM, we would first stop LighDM and then start gdm. Is that not the correct procedure?
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 20th, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    You did not click on „URL“ marked field in my message that You've quoted...?
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I can tell you this, editing lightdm.conf according to instructions and restarting lightdm by a reboot gets me to a black screen. A completely dead black screen not a tty. I now have to find a way of removing "type=mir" from lightdm.conf without being at a desktop. There are two other ways of running the command "sudo service lightdm restart" that I can think of. From a terminal on the desktop and from a tty. Both fail to get me back to a working Ubuntu.

And I also understand this in the Mir guide to mean a normal Ubuntu desktop with all applications. This little experiment is turning into a good practice session for developing skills in fixing broken desktops.
    TTY 101:
    No need for reboot and recovery mode, in most cases, with Mir not neccessary...
    Ctrl-Alt-Fn, n in {1,2,3,4,5,6} would get You to ttyn... tty7 and tty8 are for GUI... Ctr-Alt-Fm, m in {6,7} work for them...
    In there, after login You could use
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    To stop LightDM
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    To start LightDM
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm start
    To restart LightDM
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm restart
    Have fun...
    Last edited by zika; March 20th, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    You did not click on „URL“ marked field in my message that You've quoted...?

Didn't see it.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the tip about nano. I knew I would get advice about a command line editor. A thougth has also occurred to me. Surely the correct procedure is to first stop lightdm and then restart lightdm? And not just restart it. If we wanted to switch to GDM, we would first stop LighDM and then start gdm. Is that not the correct procedure?
    Sorry to be off topic.

I just realized that there may be a problem with my testing. I have a quad set of towers running off a KVM. This may be causing a syncing issue or a modeset issue.

On Topic:

I noticed some changes in /Xorg.0.log and I was wondering how to change modeset in New Grub configuration of raring to "nomodeset".

I just want to try another experiment.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Sorry to be off topic.

I just realized that there may be a problem with my testing. I have a quad set of towers running off a KVM. This may be causing a syncing issue or a modeset issue.

On Topic:

I noticed some changes in /Xorg.0.log and I was wondering how to change modeset in New Grub configuration of raring to "nomodeset".

I just want to try another experiment.
    With which kernel and driver. "Nomodesset" was depreciated not so long ago... If You're u-to-date there might be no way of going nomodeset any more...
    If You still need help how to change Grub, shout...
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Nomodeset depreciated? Richard Stallman never said anything to me. That is it. I going over to Lilo!

@ventrical

At the grub menu select Ubuntu and press E. That puts grub in Edit mode. Look for the line that says

initrd.lz quiet splash
    and change it to
    initrd.lz nomodest quiet splash
    You can Esc out and then boot. This will only work that once it does not permanently edit the Grub boot parameters.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast