Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Netflix Doesn't Support Linux? Something Better Out There?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Netflix Doesn't Support Linux? Something Better Out There?

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    You're right. Why can't/won't Netflix simply port their service over to desktop linux? They've certainly done an excellent job of infiltrating everything else.
    Unfortunately, I firmly believe my microwave and toaster will get Netflix support before my desktop with linux does.
    But in the meantime, there are plenty of legitimate streaming services out there that have added support for linux desktop, Hulu and Amazon Prime being two.
    "Unfortunately, I firmly believe my microwave and toaster will get Netflix support before my desktop with linux does." This sentence had me laughing....i guess i will take streaming with amazon prime. I checked hulu plus, it is just ok.
    mar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So you know, Hulu on the desktop, though limited in content, is free.
    And the limit on limited content is also limited.
    Another service to look at is Crackle.

Crackle

Beans

Without Silverlight, No Netflix. Try a cheap refurb Roku box. I don't know of any device or service that has the depth of choices of Netflix, even though their streaming catalog is only a small fraction of their rental DVDs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nudnikian View Post
    Without Silverlight, No Netflix. Try a cheap refurb Roku box. I don't know of any device or service that has the depth of choices of Netflix, even though their streaming catalog is only a small fraction of their rental DVDs.
    Hulu.

Hulu's depth of collection dwarfs Netflix.
    Plus Netflix is going to have to pay the piper when their licensing deals come up.

True movie-wise Netflix has more(maybe), but Hulu has a larger collection to stream, including current up to date(as in what aired last night) shows and ,with hulu plus, the complete run of a large swath of shows.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    So you know, Hulu on the desktop, though limited in content, is free.
    And the limit on limited content is also limited.
    Another service to look at is Crackle.

Crackle
    good point, plus movies on hulu seem old but shows are up to date

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nudnikian View Post
    i have ps3 and i can change lg remote from vga to hdmi in a second. The problem was not that at all. I personally did not know that netflix has no support for linux till couple nights ago when i tried to stream on desktop. It is just the principles. Where everything else out there can run on streaming videos on netflix well except on linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob60 View Post
    Amazon Prime Instant Video is probably the closest thing out there. I had a free trial for a while and it seemed to work fine for the little bit that I used it. It has a pretty good selection too, plus you get free 2 day shipping on Amazon in addition (and it's $79/year which is already less than Netflix). It just uses Flash, so yeah it should work fine. Also it has a PS3 app that works well so you can use that on your TV and still have access on your computer too.
    Moreover, video results on Amazon are available straight from the video lens in the Dash, if you're using Unity.
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Moreover, video results on Amazon are available straight from the video lens in the Dash, if you're using Unity.
    i tried this but i could not find and upgraded to 11.10 and got screwed up because the usb driver by asus n13 would just go black screen with white letter code lie terminal. I said screw this and install 12.04 from scratch and now im not able to connect to wireless. life aint fair. but hopefully our route seems good with amazon on lens.

Beans

Hulu Plus - a lot of their stuff can only be streamed to a TV device, not to a PC or Droid. They also have a lot of shows that have expired, seems they sign contracts that lets them play shows for a couple of months to a year.
    Amazon - compared to the other streaming companies they have a limited selection of movies that come free when you sign up for Prime.
    Crackle - They've got some great movies and TV shows, but their content also expires.
    Netflix - has the best selection of the bunch, shame they won't take advantage of Moonlight. If I can stream to my Droid, why not my laptop?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast