Thread: How to install RT5390R drivers on Backtrack5 Rt3 VM??

Beans

Question How to install RT5390R drivers on Backtrack5 Rt3 VM??

Hey guys i cant seem to get my drivers on linux OS at all i searched high and low and nothing at all someone help?
    I am running it on a virtual machine on windows 8 im kind of a noob at this lol

Beans

Re: How to install RT5390R drivers on Backtrack5 Rt3??

Thread moved to Virtualisation, and Title changed from :
    "How to install RT5390R drivers on Backtrack5 Rt3??"
    to :
    "How to install RT5390R drivers on Backtrack5 Rt3 VM??"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, welcome to the forums!

Hope I'm not too late.

Please note that a Virtual Machine does not see your physical (real) hardware, but only a virtualized version of it.

Therefore the drivers are also different for the VMs, and are often supplied with the virtualization platform (i.e., the virtualization software you are using) for supported OS versions.

For example, if you are using VirtualBox, you have to install "Guest Additions" (on a running VM menu, Devices > "Install Guest Additions..."). In VMware, it is called "VMware tools" (VM > Install VMware tools...).

This will install all the drivers for all the hardware that the guest OS (the one running in the VM) can see, provided it is supported by the version of the virtualization softwareyou are using.

As for backtrack (upto version 5), I believe it is fully supported on all new versions of VBox/VMware.

Feel free to post back if you need further help with it.
    Last edited by varunendra; February 14th, 2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: To add mod comments
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Re: How to install RT5390R drivers on Backtrack5 Rt3 VM??

The guest drivers are already installed everything works perfect on it except the wireless drivers even the screen resolution is perfectsize!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rnunez95 View Post
    The guest drivers are already installed everything works perfect on it except the wireless drivers even the screen resolution is perfectsize!
    Unfortunately, the VM can't even see the wireless interface. It will only see the virtual ethernet adapter using the guest driver.

If the wireless adapter is working on the host system, the guest OS can 'talk' to it through its virtual interface using various methods like NAT or bridge.

It simply can not handle or control 'any' real hardware directly.

What is your purpose by the way?

If it is to be able to use internet or local networking on the VM, you should be able to do it easily if the host is able to use the network.

However, if it is something like experimenting with wireless, then a VM is a dead end, unfortunately. You must do a physical installation for that purpose.
    Varun

Beans

Well that sucks then! Guess il have to dual boot. Know of any good step by step guides to dual booting windows8 and backtrack5? Everytime i try to load the installation ising a usb stock it opens up a file browser instead of running the iso

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Unfortunately, the VM can't even see the wireless interface. It will only see the virtual ethernet adapter using the guest driver.

If the wireless adapter is working on the host system, the guest OS can 'talk' to it through its virtual interface using various methods like NAT or bridge.

It simply can not handle or control 'any' real hardware directly.

What is your purpose by the way?

If it is to be able to use internet or local networking on the VM, you should be able to do it easily if the host is able to use the network.

However, if it is something like experimenting with wireless, then a VM is a dead end, unfortunately. You must do a physical installation for that purpose.
    That is not true unless you refer to built in hardware such as a PCI device, a VM can talk directly to a USB device and does not virtualise it, by mounting the USB wireless device into the VM by using a filter or selecting the device from the devices menu it is talking to it as real hardware, as for if it works that depends exactly the same as if it was on the host and if supported.

@ OP better checking in Backtrack forums for people who may be using this driver, I myself have no experience of it in BT I use many chipsets, you can check support for it here http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/...reless_Drivers

or the forums are here http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/forum.php

As I said a USB device is not virtualised so dont worry about it being in a VM but you do need the guest additions and extensions pack and your user in the vboxusers group for full USB access and support. if its a built in wireless device to your host then yes it will be virtualised.

To use wireless in a VM you need a USB device, if you want to use your hosts PCI wireless device you can use as it a ethx device but it will be virtualised and wont act as a wireless adapter as varunendra said.

Peace
    Last edited by haqking; February 16th, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    That is not true unless you refer to built in hardware such as a PCI device, a VM can talk directly to a USB device and does not virtualise it
    Oh yes, I totally overlooked the USB scenario and must admit it was a HUGE mistake. I stand corrected..

Thank you for correcting me in time!
    Last edited by varunendra; February 16th, 2013 at 03:10 AM.
    Varun

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Oh yes, I totally overlooked the USB scenario and must admit it was a HUGE mistake. I stand corrected..

Thank you for correcting me in time!
    no problem, I thought I would butt in as it is often overlooked and often people think that its impossible to use wireless in a VM.

Peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013