Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pride Goes Before a Fall.

Beans

Pride Goes Before a Fall.

Had 12.04 on my desktop after upgrading, in a dual boot configuration with windows 7, unfortunately a hardware fault meant i had to have a new motherboard and cpu. also had Windows7 reloaded to the whole hard drive afterwards. I thought that as I had loaded ubuntu several years ago, I could do it again.
    I got the Iso download for 12.04 and put on a DVD, put it into my unit tray where it asked me did I wish to load it using Wubi ( This was in Win 7) I said OK, I then ran the disk tried 12.04, managed to send an email etc, etc, thought to myself this is OK . then noticed on the Ubuntu screen a folder with download Unbuntu 12.04. Thinking that this must be the way to do it ,I clicked on it, and followed the setting up instructions.
    Now I find that whilst my hard drive has a volume of approximately the size I allocated I can not access it, I boot straight into Win 7. It is obvious that this is not right, so how can I resolve this?
    Regards Cliff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Pride Goes Before a Fall.

If you are in fact using Wubi you can start here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

If Ubuntu doesn't show up in programs and features in Windows, Open local disk C under computer. There is a remove Ubuntu icon inside the Ubuntu folder.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    If you are in fact using Wubi you can start here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

If Ubuntu doesn't show up in programs and features in Windows, Open local disk C under computer. There is a remove Ubuntu icon inside the Ubuntu folder.
    First Of all, allow me to thank you for your time and trouble. Apart from two extra partitions of about 180 and 9 gigs ) I allocated about 200 gigs I have nothing saying Ubuntu under my C drive or anywhere else.
    Now, afterwards I dimly remember that when I loaded the original Ubuntu some years ago, I had to go into the Bios and alter it to boot from the disc drive and then follow the process. Making no excuses it does seem to me to be a little silly to be using a method where those of us that do not do this every day, can if in a demonstration start loading thinking that this must be a more modern way of doing things. I understand from the chap that reloaded Win 7 for me that I can recover the space by deleting the extra Volumes and expanding the Win 7 volume to take up the extra space. However as I am none too sure of where the 9 gigs volume came from I might leave that for now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It sounds like you did a normal install, but it didn't install the grub bootloader. Can you boot from the DVD via the BIOS, select "Try Ubuntu" and then give us the output of the bootinfoscript?

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    It sounds like you did a normal install, but it didn't install the grub bootloader. Can you boot from the DVD via the BIOS, select "Try Ubuntu" and then give us the output of the bootinfoscript?

Thanks
    I have looked at my new motherboard and they have a remark saying that they do not do Linux drivers ,go to the chipset vendor. Went to Intel for their H61 express chiopset ,and they do not support Linux drivers, in effect try a 3rd party. I suspect that if I had loaded 12.04 through the disc drive that the drivers in 12.04 would have worked. My new board is a Gigabyte TE-UEFI dual Bios model no H61M-S2 PV, and I think that I could get it to boot from disc. But as I have to take this Tower back to the chap who re-installed Win7 for me next week, I'll chicken out and let him do it for me.
    What with the hardware failure ,the 12.04 install going wrong I'm just waiting for the third strike, my nerves are not what they were. I have a strong suspicion that if I had the boot from disc drive working all would have gone well, but of course I wasn't thinking of this when I had the Win 7 reloaded.
    Thank you for your suggestion.
    Regards Cliff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay that makes more sense. With UEFI you need to use a 64bit version of Ubuntu and there are some other things (I haven't done this myself) like having to boot the installer (DVD/USB) in EFI mode... here's something others have written up: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

That link mentions 12.10 - I'm not certain about 12.04 but I reckon it probably has the same support as 12.10 (except if you have the original 12.04 - not the updated 12.04.1 - then it won't work).
    Last edited by bcbc; December 1st, 2012 at 07:11 PM.

Beans

Okay that makes more sense. With UEFI you need to use a 64bit version of Ubuntu and there are some other things (I haven't done this myself) like having to boot the installer (DVD/USB) in EFI mode... here's something others have written up: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

That link mentions 12.10 - I'm not certain about 12.04 but I reckon it probably has the same support as 12.10 (except if you have the original 12.04 - not the updated 12.04.1 - then it won't work).
    Thank you for the link, I would like to say it is most informative,and I am certain it is. I am just not too sure whether or not my level of expertise is really up to this, when I was younger I was so ignorant of being ignorant that I often achieved things despite my lack of knowledge. At 68 years of age my faculties are not what they were, although I suspect my propensity for impulsive leaps into things best left alone has not diminished by much.
    I shall have to give this some serious cogitation, but in the mean time thank you for your help, it is most kind. I was going to use that awful term " Newbie " but on reflection I think "Old Fart " is more apposite.
    Regards Cliff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It's not you... when the first heading in the guide is "Installing Ubuntu Quickly and Easily via Trial and Error"... it's enough to turn anyone off.

When you boot your computer with the Ubuntu DVD in the tray, do you get the option to "Try Ubuntu"? Or does it boot straight to Windows?

Beans

It's not you... when the first heading in the guide is "Installing Ubuntu Quickly and Easily via Trial and Error"... it's enough to turn anyone off.

When you boot your computer with the Ubuntu DVD in the tray, do you get the option to "Try Ubuntu"? Or does it boot straight to Windows?
    To be honest I haven't tried it again, I went to a chaps website where he was a technical writer. he was offering his experiences with an earlier Gigabyte EFI board, and how he got around the problems he experienced. It was full of jargon and meaningful terms that I got the gist of, but no real understanding, I came away with my head reeling. I then refound the site where I set up my previous Ubuntu from, "Easy Linux Tips Project ". Some Dutch chap being very helpful, and I was struck by the fact that while he obviously updates the info on the site, he did not mention any specific problems of using these UEFI boards. He advises that 64 bit Ubuntu should be used but mainly for it's speed gains, so now I stand conflicted, I ask myself if he really has got the latest on his website? Then I think to myself that these boards have been out as I understand it for about roughly 2 years now, surely he isn't that far behind.
    Now I am thinking perhaps I should get another hard drive added and load Ubuntu to that, what difficulties would I experience if I did? Then I think what if I did change the boot sequence in the bios to load from the disc drive first, and just go for it? Then I think that when I looked through the link you kindly provided, I didn't see anything that implied that you had to load from the disc while it was first in the boot sequence, or was that to be taken "As Read "? From what I understood, providing you had the 64 bit version with the Grub boot repair on it ,you just put in the drive even if the preference was to boot from the Hard Drive first,and away you go. You no longer need to be booting from the Disc drive first! or is this something I missed in my cursory look through the instructions ?
    So that is how you find me, nerving myself up to change the boot sequence in the Bios, it bears no resemblence to the instructions on my old board, but I think i can work my way slowly through the different jargon. Then if that works I shall look more closely at that link again and i might let my impulsion loose, and go for it.
    Regards Cliff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It would help to have some more diagnostics, because up to now I've made assumptions based on how you've described what happened. e.g. you mentioned Wubi, but that's not always clear cut because it has a different set of options when it loads from a DVD as opposed to running it standalone. Since 12.04 it won't offer to install 'inside Windows' - which is what most people refer to as Wubi.

So that's why I'd like the bootinfoscript results. In order to boot from the Ubuntu DVD you have to change the boot order, no matter what sort of boot techniques you are using. I'd use just the Ubuntu DVD you have, not boot-repair until we know what is going on.

The issue with UEFI, is that it supports both UEFI boot as well as legacy boot (similar to BIOS). It's not clear what setup you have either. I made some more assumptions because Wubi won't work on a UEFI system.

So... maybe you can clear up a few things before booting the Ubuntu CD. From Windows, hit the Start button, type "Add or remove" and hit enter. That should get you to the Control Panel's "Uninstall or change a program" screen. Look down the list and see if there is an Ubuntu entry as shown in attached image.

What this tells us is that you did use Wubi - either a traditional install, or as a "CD boot helper".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast