Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install zsnes with libao support on AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: HOWTO: Install zsnes with libao support on AMD64

Idk; and btw the hardy package works great under Intrepid for me.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Downloaded the beta for Intrepid today, tried it from the live CD. My ethernet card was not working, most likely due to the e1000 driver being disabled in Intrepid because of a nasty firmware bug. I also was unable to get anything that used ALSA to output sound, this hopefully will be fixed when they release 8.10.

So testing pSX was instantly out, since it will crash unless it's able to output sound and only outputs via ALSA. Tried the ZSNES i386 binary that's in the Intrepid repositories, it gave me a nasty buffer overflow crash. Compiled the 1.51b source myself, same crash. Compiled it again using gcc-4.1, worked fine (other than that I was unable to use ALSA, only OSS).

Once Intrepid gets out of beta, I might try again. Until then, Hardy should hopefully work for everyone.

Beans

Am i the only one who's had trouble installing 1.42?

I ran into some of the Super Mario RPG bugs while running 1.51 and it seems the only solution thus far is to downgrade to 1.42 or 1.36

I've tried installing from deb but it doesn't show up in synaptic and I'm still trying to get used to the way linux installs things.

does anyone host a 1.42 so i can just do an apt-get? or maybe direct me to a newb-friendly guide xD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ynell View Post

I ran into some of the Super Mario RPG bugs while running 1.51 and it seems the only solution thus far is to downgrade to 1.42 or 1.36

I've tried installing from deb but it doesn't show up in synaptic and I'm still trying to get used to the way linux installs things.

does anyone host a 1.42 so i can just do an apt-get? or maybe direct me to a newb-friendly guide xD
    I'm compiling 1.42 right now if I can't get it compiled on my 64-bit machine (I've had problems in the past) then I'll have to have my 400mhz computer do it... might take a while do get it compiled for you if I have to use that computer.
    Last edited by jerome1232; October 16th, 2008 at 05:55 PM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

Beans

you don't have to go through all that xD i could try and do it myself if you wanted to link me somewhere haha

But i also am running amd64

thanks for your help :]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    I'm compiling 1.42 right now if I can't get it compiled on my 64-bit machine (I've had problems in the past) then I'll have to have my 400mhz computer do it... might take a while do get it compiled for you if I have to use that computer.
    I've never been able to compile on a 64-bit machine, trying GCC flags to compile for 32-bit targets and such never worked. Using a chroot worked quite well though, or using a Live CD also works

Quote Originally Posted by ynell View Post

I went through my archives and this is what I came up with. Dunno if they will help or not. IIRC, I made these packages for Gutsy. One is a specific build designed for netplay, the other is the standard 1.42 release. They will use the same .zsnes/ configuration files as each other/1.51, so I'd be aware of that as it may cause problems if you have install more than one.
    Last edited by dfreer; October 16th, 2008 at 07:26 PM.

Beans

sweet thanks a ton dfreer, used the standard 1.42 and it works perfectly :] your the man

Jerome thanks for you good intentions, i appreciate it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Lol, well I guess I can stop that computer from compiling (man is it slow!)

Beans

Haha yeah nothing worse than a slow computer xD thanks anyways man :]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just wanted to report the zsnes32_1.51b3.5_hardy-amd64.deb is working great for me in Intrepid Ibex w/Compiz running.

I followed this procedure to get my gamepad working:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...12&postcount=5

Thank you so much!

EDIT:

I am getting considerable tearing in ZSNES, with both Compiz and Metacity. I am running an Nvidia card. Anyone have any suggestions to eliminate the tearing?
    Last edited by JayBee808; October 24th, 2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Tearing problem

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast