Page 33 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Somewhere in this thread I saw mention of using
    sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart
    to get the missing ntfs partitions to appear on the Desktop, at least until next restart. I just tried it out, and it works, at least for me. Both of my mounted NTFS partitions appear on the Desktop and Places/Computer.
    I tried to put this in the Sessions startup programs (Preferences -> Sessions -> Startup Programs) to see if that would work, however it didn't.
    Last edited by msandersen; August 13th, 2006 at 06:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

hmm, i'm still trying to keep the mounted partitions from appearing on the desktop. I've already disabled icons in gconf editor and removed the start-up session. weird...

The new mount arguments are great.

Beans

Thanks a million. I've followed the instructions and everything is working fine. Cheers.

Beans

Hello everybody, just come back from the sea, i think that this ntfs-3g is definitly a lot of work, anyway, i like that

@saracen : Check that you have the latest version, moving/delete works great for me with 20070811-BETA-.
    Code:
    apt-cache showpkg ntfs-3g
    That make me think that i forgot to upload ntfs-3g-dev, anyway, i'll do it later, that's not urgent.
    If you are sure to have the latest, this kind of error could happens with some special character not supported by your local or if those special character were not written in the good encoding (utf8 here), check that you don't have some éèà... in your name, try to rename it...

@pt123 : interesting, try to reboot, you should have a removable file in all device block in /sys.

@cord : yeah somebody try it on an AMD64, but i can't remenber how, search "Search this Thread" with AMD64

@ertai_ar : did you try mlind tips :
    Quote Originally Posted by mlind
    You must have universe repository enabled for apt-get to find libnotify-bin dependency.
    @irrlicht : this is a know issue :
    Problem: Only Windows Administrator can access the files created by
    the driver.
    Answer: File permission and ownership handling isn't implemented yet.
    Workaround: As Windows Administrator, set access permissions for other
    users.
    Status: Solution exists but it needs to be revised and tested.
    msandersen is right, i'll update the first posst in that way, thanks

@mlind : you should have a look at the NEWS in the first post sometimes, it's already upload

@Eazy© : Oh yeah i forgot you, but it's probably because it appears to be specific to konqueror, and i don't use it. soory, i can't help.

@msandersen : Yeah, in fact the problem is that hald set fuse devices to unmount because they don't match with any devices of the system. minor/major values of devices are different if they are mounted with fuse or not, and it's why this doesn't match. stopping hal solve solve the problem, but in anyway we need hal so that's not the solution. I try to hack hal in that way, but that's definitly not easy. Some more news soon
    For the moment the best solution i found is describe in point 4 of the HowTo.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans

ntfs user rights

givré: Ok, sorry, should have checked. You suggest to set access permissions as admin, (this may be stupid, but I can't find it) how do I do this?
    Is there perhaps even a command (chmod-alike) that I can run at boot or so?

Also, if you need testers for your solution to this problem, I'm game to help out.

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Running it for several days now. Seems to be working just fine. I simply followed the instructions, no fancy actions were necessary for it to work properly.

Actually ntfs-3g was the reason I fully switched to Linux. Great!

Beans

We got it
    After lot's of try, we have now a good fix for the hal bug.
    Like i said before, the problem was the block.minor/block.major number, used by hal to match device between /proc/mounts & hal volume, that ware not good for fuse device. I changed that so it use block.device for fuse device, and now it works great.
    please, update hal to version 0.5.7-1ubuntu19givre1 (in the repo).

I also update ntfs-3g-nautilus-tools, since now ntfs-3g-monitor is obsolete, and you no more need to use unmount_ntfs-3g to unmount ntfs-3g device, you can now use the normal eject.

This begin to be cool
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans

well that update fixed it like you said icon and drive appear now in computer and in places/desktop

Thanks again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by givré View Post
    We got it

This begin to be cool
    Great! Have you submitted a patch to Ubuntu/Canonical and/or Gnome?
    Cool indeed!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using the NEW ntfs-3g (easy & safe method)

Thanks for the awesome tutorial, givré!
    The lack of ntfs support was one of the things that prevented me from switching over to linux. Once I find the other linux software to replace my Windows application, I'll be a happy man.

Page 33 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast