Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stable Madwifi version?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Stable Madwifi version?

I have a 3rd. gen Macbook with the Atheros 5418 wifi card and I'm have some problems with the Madwifi version that I downloaded. I just snagged the current-trunk which was r3563 and I'm getting lots of dropped connections and failed reconnects. Anyone know of a revision that worked especially well for this card?
    Macbook 2,1 2.16 Core 2 Duo / 2Gb Ram / 120Gb HDD: Ubuntu Studio 9.04 64 Bit/ Mac OS X 10.4.11

Registered Linux User # 449355 / Registered Ubuntu User # 16921

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Stable Madwifi version?

Quote Originally Posted by Rog-Mahal View Post
    I have a 3rd. gen Macbook with the Atheros 5418 wifi card and I'm have some problems with the Madwifi version that I downloaded. I just snagged the current-trunk which was r3563 and I'm getting lots of dropped connections and failed reconnects. Anyone know of a revision that worked especially well for this card?
    Just a tip, Ive never been able to get that card to work with madwifi, except under 64 bit for some reason!!! even then, it dropped out on me quite a bit.

NDISWrapper works great however, and I recommend you give that a try. WEP works fine, and it never seems to fail me.

Russo
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro

I'm running the 64 bit kernel, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'd like to explore my options using madwifi before I switch over...any thoughts anyone?
    Macbook 2,1 2.16 Core 2 Duo / 2Gb Ram / 120Gb HDD: Ubuntu Studio 9.04 64 Bit/ Mac OS X 10.4.11

Beans
    Hidden!

The last one I tested from trunk rv3579 drops frequently like you said.

The one that worked better is rv3545 works without problem.

I was testing everyday snapshot and sometimes one rv worked and the day after not.
    I don't know why this happen. There are lots of rv that work with AR5418 and many others are simple a mess.

Probably the next rv will work without problem

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I'll download that one and try it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've just freshly installed 64-bit Hardy on my macbook2,1 and I'm having a hard time getting madwifi to compile. Here's the info on my card:

Code:
    $ lspci | grep Atheros
    02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5418 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
    I've tried downloading the daily build as well as checkout from subversion with the same results when I try to make:
    Code:
    harlan@harlan-macbook:~/madwifi$ make
    Checking requirements... ok.
    Checking kernel configuration... ok.
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/harlan/madwifi modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
      UUDECODE /home/harlan/madwifi/ath_hal/x86_64-elf.hal.o
    /bin/sh: /home/harlan/madwifi/ath_hal/uudecode: Permission denied
    make[3]: *** [/home/harlan/madwifi/ath_hal/x86_64-elf.hal.o] Error 126
    make[2]: *** [/home/harlan/madwifi/ath_hal] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/harlan/madwifi] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    Any idea why I'm having problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sounds like incorrect permissions on the source files. What revision is this? You might try a different one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The daily snapshot I got from the trunk is r3593-20080502. Don't know about the one I downloaded from Subversion. I noticed in the repositories there's a package called madwifi-tools. Is this what I need or is it something different?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

so the weird thing is I moved the tar file to /tmp in my root filesystem and everything compiled fine so it must be a problem with permissions in my home folder? I have my home folder setup as an unjournaled hfsplus partition, not to share the home folder with osx, but just to be able to access the files. Maybe I screwed something up?

Anyways, after compiling I followed the instruction on the macbook wiki again and it still didn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by flaggh View Post
    so the weird thing is I moved the tar file to /tmp in my root filesystem and everything compiled fine so it must be a problem with permissions in my home folder? I have my home folder setup as an unjournaled hfsplus partition, not to share the home folder with osx, but just to be able to access the files. Maybe I screwed something up?

Anyways, after compiling I followed the instruction on the macbook wiki again and it still didn't work.
    Interesting setup to say the least.

Reboot first, if you still have issues, try a different revision. It has been know that newer revisions tend to not work as stated in the wiki:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...557d4439a30927
    r3404 is supposed to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast